HVAC Control Operation

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC Control Operation

The auto climate control in my 94 CS is acting funny. Most of the time it does not respond to any of the buttons other than the Defrost and Auto buttons. Occasionally the up or down fan and temp work.

My A/C was bad when I bought the car so for the most part I left the system off. Occasionally the system would come on when I start the car and it was a major pain to get it to shut back off. I had thought maybe this was becasue there was no gas in the system, but I got the A/C fixed and re-charged today and it is still acting funny.

Is this normal for the Auto climate controls to act like this? The one that was in my 93 S4 didn't act this way.

Does it sound like I just need to clean the contacts? or is it more serious that that?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you can try and cleaning the contacts on the controller (don't ask how to take that thing apart) or you may just want to switch to a manual one
Old 05-23-2016, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRAZY_RUSSIAN
you can try and cleaning the contacts on the controller (don't ask how to take that thing apart) or you may just want to switch to a manual one
Hey Russian, I know this is an old post but can you link a few reference pages to changing over to a manual climate control? I see a lot of pages when I search but I am not sure which ones are good or comprehensive. I have this same problem and I just removed the dang fuse. The temperature seems to be hot or hotter and that really sucks on a hot day.

I have kind of given up hope on having an A/C unit in this car until I can save a ton of money or have a ton of time. I never have had A/C in any of my cars but it would be nice to at least get fresh neutral air from outside. Even with the fuse removed for the blower, hot air finds it's way in.

I never had any trouble with manual climate control units. I don't see much of a need for this silly automatic thing that can get corroded and cook me alive on a hot day.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

On my car the tabs on the control unit were broken..when you push the buttons the contacts did not work. There is a solution over on QW in the FAQs.

quattroworld.com Forums: Climate Control Buttons Don't Work

Or you may need a new control head..used or from the bone-yard. Be sure and verify the part numbers for your car. I understand the A6 C4 control head looks exactly like the unit out of your 90CS..and will not work..

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 05-24-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd on will not work (ask me how i know) but the display/front face will work as the connection is the same, just the brain function is slightly different between the C and B cars