New Member - Key Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - Key Question

Greetings!

Just joined this forum as I have just bought a 1993 90 Quattro for use as a daily driver, coming back to the four rings after a few years driving old Benzes. It's gonna need a few things as I sort it out and this forum looks to be a great resource.

Thanks for having me.

So, right off the top, anyone know what kind of little batteries go in the key fob? The seller claims it works and the included owners manual doesn't mention what battery number to use.

Thanks !

michael
Old 02-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Figured I'd post a pic in case folks were interested. Looks better in the pics than in person, but is worth saving.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Doesn't anyone know how to use the search function anymore

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24258797
Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome!

There is a wealth of archived info on this site and also on the 12v V6 forum here related to the engine

Check out quattroworld.com as well for a bunch more info.

Lasty, check out 12v.org for more engine specific info.

And yes, the search function here will answer just about everything you have to ask.

Nice looking car!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks both Audicted & Grillage for the info.

In point of fact, I did use the search function and didn't find that thread. I guess that's my bad, I must be some kind of friggin idiot.

Grillage, thank you, sincerely, for the warm welcome.

I don't really spend much time on forums. Mainly because of the tendency for people to shoot off snarky - to - sh**ty posts. People who are probably by all accounts good people, but somehow become caustic, frustrated, or short online. Maybe it's the anonymous nature of the web. Maybe it's just that power corrupts - like DMV employees, rent-a-cops, or forum "super-users".

Audicted, sorry to be so obviously annoying and putting a damper on your otherwise wonderful afternoon.

Never mind, I think I'll go annoy some other forum since, from my limited sampling, half the users here are jerks.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you open up the Key FOB and look at the old dead batts?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am new/back with 4 rings and also have a dead battery - any tips on opening the key up? I took a look at it and there is no obvious notch. This car is near collector grade and I don't want to bung up the key in a moment of ignorance. Thanks in advance and great site!

DougM
Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IdahoDoug
I am new/back with 4 rings and also have a dead battery - any tips on opening the key up? I took a look at it and there is no obvious notch. This car is near collector grade and I don't want to bung up the key in a moment of ignorance. Thanks in advance and great site!

DougM

Pics for collector quality!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Uh oh, better rephrase. How about "phenomenal condition for a 208,000 mile vehicle". It has been owned by two older people. Original buyer was a 95 lb retired lady school teacher. When she sold it to the man I just got it from, she took pains to tell him how to take care of it, and that nobody had ever been near it with a cigarette. Meticulous. The man I bought it from is an older single German guy with 10 other cars, who builds engines for fun and is a stationary engine enthusiast, pilot, airboat owner, etc. He says it has not been outside more than a few nights since he bought it 15 years ago or so. The interior is absolutely phenomenal as a result, with very minimal wear on the driver's seat and I suspect the other seats were rarely even sat in. No sunfading, wood cracks, etc.

The front has the usual stone chipping. The original BBS wheels sat in the garage and he ran studded tires on steel wheels year round so they're amazing condition. Anyhow, it's quite impressive cosmetically. I'll have to give you a rain check on the pics as I just put it up on jackstands to give it some major services before I even drive it. Intake is off to put new valve cover and spark plug seals on her, followed closely by the timing belt/water pump service and then I'm putting her back together with the 034 injector conversion. All new correct fluids, belts, alternator just got new bearings, reg and brushes and is on my bench. Man, that air filter box is absolutely insane. It took me the better part of an hour to get to the filter without cracking that rubber boot (heard they crack).

Anyhow, she is a very worthy survivor and will be back on the road in a couple weeks fully serviced and ready to enjoy. I drove her onto the trailer for the trip home, then around the block and into the garage a week and a half ago. Can't wait to hear that marvelous 20V again. Will get a pic.

So, how to open the key for a battery swap? The PO told me the battery is dead, so knew I'd have to do this and that's how I happened on this thread.

DougM
Old 11-10-2014, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I thought I saw a programming manual around online somewhere. It's a good idea to invest the $150 in the Bentley Manual if you wish to keep the car rather than turn around and sell.

I realize you have a 20V but this manual will probably work if your key remote is similar.

12v Pages - Maintenance

I have a 1995 90 V6 12V Quattro that I recently bought for $300. It is my first time owning a European car, A 4dr, and a V6. I plan on maintaining the car. Not abusing the car and not babying the car either. This car is a Quattro and was meant to perform regardless of only having 165,000 miles. I plan on a trip or two to the snow and weekly backroad drives once the car is restored. But usually with my vehicles I do not bash them until I am confident I can repair them if anything breaks. And have driven them enough to know their "normal" sounds.

The trouble with forums is the users who are used to forums only have so much patience towards new users who aren't the best at English or typing. But the other trouble is the people who type sentences that are complete but make no sense. And there are always the users who take insults personally rather than disregard and ignore. But A new user should be granted their own Thread to ask a couple quick questions to get them started.

Welcome to the forum. If you wish to get the full use out of the forum, it will take time and a lot of searching to determine whether or not a new thread is necessary to ask a question. If you have a full time job and not a lot of focus, maybe DIY on your car isn't the answer and forums will not help as much as you think they will.

Quick Reply: New Member - Key Question