New member, saying hi and asking for help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I am not getting spark, I am not sure about fuel but after several attempts at starting the scent of fuel does start to emit from the engine bay, very slightly though.
Alright, i will try to check the sensors, have to make sure I find a procedure or values for limits that should be coming out of them.
I will look at the spark plug wires to but i feel that all of them being in such a state where none of them would allow any spark at all (weak maybe) would be kind of weird, some maybe yes but I don't get even the slightest firing of any cylinder. But I will try.
I have been searching and searching and have found so many different things on having no start issues with these cars and talk of people spending months trying to figure out what the issue was, but then the thread dies so I never find out what it ended up being. It is kind of frustrating, I will make sure to follow this thread through to make sure it can help someone if someone were to find it on a later date with a similar issue.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

most likely cam position sensor or POS or coil, but highly unlikely on the coil part. check your cam position sensor first
Old 04-01-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

can anyone tell me the proper way to test the cam position sensor?
Also, I have read that a sign of a bad crank position sensor is seeing no tach reading when trying to start the car.
Can someone tell me what the tach should be doing when one tries to start the car? Mine seems to jump a little but it is so little that I don't know if that is what it is suppose to do or if it is suppose to jump more. I know the rpms will be very low during attempted starts but just trying to see what the tack is actually suppose to look like.
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, I just went ahead and replaced the camshaft position sensor and there was no change. I also tested the harness side of the plug and got about 10mV to the +terminal.

Any ideas on the tack jump and what it should do?
Old 04-01-2015, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

new or used? try searching the archives, there should be some info on testing that pesky thing...
Old 04-01-2015, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've searched but no real info on how to test it.
But anyways, I replaced it with a brand new one and it made no difference so I am ruling the camshaft position sensor out.
I think the shop already checked the crank position sensor but I don't want to assume that its good without verifiable info, that is why I am curious about the tach jump.
The Ignition Control Module has also been checked and the coils are fine. What else is there to test? this is where all the other post I have read end and then there is never a resolution, well I am hoping to find a resolution or else this will just be another no spark thread that just leaves readers hanging.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

lets think about this...
coils
POS
CPS
knock sensor 1
knock sensor 2
crank PS
and flywheel 60-2 or what ever the name of that thing is
the only one ive ever head an issue with is the Cam PS. but it could the the one on the crank or on the bell housing thats causing problems, i dont think knock sensors would stop you from starting up (i could be wrong too)
Old 04-01-2015, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I know the shop replaced the sensor that is on the bell housing (also referred to as engine speed sensor), which sensor is that?
Yea, I've never seen a knock sensor prevent a car from starting and I would imagine it would have to actually go through a combustion cycle to sense a knock so I don't think that can be the source of the problem.
Where exactly is the crank position sensor on these? I think I remember the shop saying they replaced that one as well but I guess it won't hurt to try, I have had a crank position sensor go bad on a Porsche 951 and I remember that it would cut spark when I tried to start the car when cold. So that might be worth checking again, any idea on the tack jump? I think I remember on the Porsche that tach wouldn't move at all during attempted starts and that was why I went for the crank PS.
Anyways, yea maybe that would be worth testing again.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

from what i remember, the one thats on the bellhousing is responsible for the engine speed sensor which should feed to the tech. but i don't remember if the tech jumps or not during a start up :-S
the crank possition sensor is located on the driver side of the engine block behind the AC compressor towards the bell housing and is held in by a 10mm bolt
Old 04-01-2015, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Alright then, I'll check crank position sensor tomorrow just to be sure. What is the best way to access it?

Quick Reply: New member, saying hi and asking for help...