New project car! 1988 Audi 90

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a close look at that engine pic egp320i and you will see it has 5 injection lines plus 1 cold start line.

Thats quite a project you have for you there. I would second rockauto.com. I get about 85 percent of my parts from them. They have an amazing selection of parts even for a car as forgotten about as the B3 audi 80/90.
I think you may have to pull the entire engine out if you want to get the oil pan off. It might be a good thing to do anyway because you will do doubt discover more things that need replacement or repair. Also, if your clutch doesnt work you may very well need to get into the bell housing. I bought my 90q without a functioning clutch. The seller had had the master cylinder replaced thinking it was that but as it turned out the throwout bearing had fallen apart. It fell on the floor in several pieces as we hoisted the block out of the bay. Apparently this is a common failure as the bearing assy is held together with a plastic shell.
The starting and not running issue could be many things. As mentioned make sure you dont have any major vacuum leaks. If you want to go through the trouble of finding all the right metric fittings to hook up a fuel pressure gauge that would be useful. I still havent done that. Or you could pull all the injectors and test fuel volume with a graduated cylinder as per the service manual. You can then look at their spray pattern as well and make sure they arent plugged. They are easy to get to however a pita to get out without breaking the plastic injector sleeves. I had a very hard time finding replacements for these.
Lastly ill point you to www.20v.org great site with a wealth of tutorials and resources mostly dedicated to the audi 90 20 valve 5 but much of the info is the same for your 10 valve car. They also had a service manual for the car. Which you will need!
Good luck!

Last edited by flailhyena; 05-29-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I know it's a inline 5 but I don't recall that being a option in 1988 with FWD but it was standard if you bought the Quattro.

Rock auto is good for most common items, if you can't find it there then autohausAZ is a good place and RMeuropean has some dealer items for much less.

The Bentley factory manual predated digital and it's a book, I have it and it's about a foot thick.

You could probably find a decent used copy through amazon or ebay.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks a lot guys for all the advice.. I've since decided to move on and will be selling this car.. posted on motorgeek just moments ago. 1988 Audi 90 :: motorgeek.com

I just unfortunately don't have the time needed to make it happen right now.. just had a job change and being the new guy means at least for the first year I've got to make sure I'm there early/late when needed, etc.. anyway.. thank you all very much for the help and support. I wish I had more time to knock this out but it's not meant to be. I hope this lands in the hands of someone who really wants to do it.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Anyone interested in 1996 Audi Quatro for a project car?

Originally Posted by aaron_s
Hey guys - glad to finally join the forums....

I'm a hack, self-taught mechanic that just loves to turn wrenches and hear engines roar.

I recently bought a project car, a 1988 Audi 90 that is now officially my first project car. No, it is not the Quattro but I really don't care. This is going to be my first crack at taking a car and refurbishing it and just have some fun.

What do you guys think? Any advice? I have the rear bumper and lights.. all parts for this car. I'm not missing anything, just have to update/replace stuff.