Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Motor Trend's first review of the S3

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EGainer
While you're using home link in your 40k+ car... I'll be opening my garage door remotely through home automation and an app...

I don't think home link is the way of the future for garage doors, and having to use a standard remote shouldn't make you feel bad in your $40k+ car

There are many cars that have tech that our car does not. And there are many cars that don't have the tech that ours does.
The S3 certainly has a lot of tech. Had the car less than a week and discovering something new every day. Still making my way through the owners manual as well. That being said and adding how great the Audi Connect feature is, I do not see myself renewing the contract after the 6 month trial period. My commute every day is less than 15 minutes and when the family makes longer trips, we travel in my wife's '13 Subaru Tribeca. When I sold my 2006 Civic Si prior to getting the S3, the Si only had 45K miles on it. If I traveled out of town more, Audi Connect could be worth it but understand it will be pretty pricey to renew the contract.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
I agree. HL is there on my 06 A4 and my 11 Q5? Why not the 15 S3?????
With telematics being the next "it" thing you'll see a lot of those aftermarket options start to disappear. You can open garage doors with your cell-phone these days so in essence they are ahead of the curve.

It amazes me that so many folks are bent out of shape over the lack of homelink...I remember the days when you had to pay to upgrade to a CD player over cassette tape.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

A friend of mine is running a BMW HomeLink mirror on his A3. No issues. I'll find out how he did it.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by der Scherzkeks
A friend of mine is running a BMW HomeLink mirror on his A3. No issues. I'll find out how he did it.
I would guess it's not much different than if you purchased the rearview mirror from Homelink directly. All you need is the control box and the transmitter/receiver.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

While you're using home link in your 40k+ car... I'll be opening my garage door remotely through home automation and an app...

I don't think home link is the way of the future for garage doors, and having to use a standard remote shouldn't make you feel bad in your $40k+ car

There are many cars that have tech that our car does not. And there are many cars that don't have the tech that ours does.
You present a great great option that I overlooked! I will use my iPhone to open my garage door and certainly have unlimited range. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-11-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv'e been out in both the A and S3. The A3 is a dog in comparison. The STI is a cheap car and not worth anything near the S3. Anyway.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks again for pointing out my oversight of controlling my garage doors from my phone.

I installed two new Assurlink garage door openers this weekend and they work great!

Now I open my doors when I roll into the sub and by the time I get to my driveway they are open! Very slick.

Also my other garage door openers were very loud and hard on my doors, these new ones have lots of other features.

They are very quiet, they slow the operation of the door just before closing or fulley opening and the wall controllers have motion sensors so the lights go on when I leave the house and enter the garage. No more turning on a light switch and forgetting to turn them off... Well really the kids...

Last edited by drober30; 10-13-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually, seems like it would be pretty easy (and fun) to wire-up a control button on the console (there's plenty of available spots) to a regular remote and a 9 volt.

Now only to get my hands on an OEM switch. Hmmm.

(Doesn't solve the Autodim though).

FWIW, I'm heading to the dealer to ask about installing the A3 Mirror install. I'll report.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone figured out how to do the "Launch Control" they very quickly mention in the article?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by drober30
I installed two new Assurlink garage door openers this weekend and they work great!
How much did it cost you to do all that? Did you do the install? My garage door openers are working fine so it would be difficult to justify replacing them because my new S3 didn't have homelink.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend's first review of the S3