Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-09-2016, 11:45 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

My first Audi? Fully loaded 2015 A3 vs S3? Sell me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Audi? Fully loaded 2015 A3 vs S3? Sell me!

Assume my selection is comparing a fully loaded 2015 A3 vs S3:

Picking the S3 was worth the extra $10k from the A3?

Is the B&O coming from a sound critic worth $750 for the upgrade?

With your history with Audi, is it save to buy a first generation car fearing repairs in the future? (I heard horror stories online that cost of repairs can add up quick.)

Buying Vs One Time Lease payment?

Why did you purchase this car over other manufactures like BWM and Volkswagen?

Pretty much so close pulling the trigger to go down to a dealership to pick one up, just those questions are still making me sit this one out. Having a car over 40k+ is a new concept for me and don't want to get myself into something I would regret.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ChadTheDJ
Assume my selection is comparing a fully loaded 2015 A3 vs S3:

Picking the S3 was worth the extra $10k from the A3?

Is the B&O coming from a sound critic worth $750 for the upgrade?

With your history with Audi, is it save to buy a first generation car fearing repairs in the future? (I heard horror stories online that cost of repairs can add up quick.)

Buying Vs One Time Lease payment?

Why did you purchase this car over other manufactures like BWM and Volkswagen?

Pretty much so close pulling the trigger to go down to a dealership to pick one up, just those questions are still making me sit this one out. Having a car over 40k+ is a new concept for me and don't want to get myself into something I would regret.
I'm in the same position as you and after a couple of test drives with the A3 here are my thoughts:

1. I still need to test drive the S3. Sticker price is about $7k more with both vehicles fully loaded. I'm sure I will want the S3.

2. The B&O is a non negotiable for me, I must have it. Sounded really really good for a stock stereo. I have had custom designed JL Audio systems in my cars for years but I'm to old to continue to do that.

3. I have no history with Audi but buying first generation cars applies to any manufacturer. I have never had a lemon but my 2011 Ford Explorer had more 1st generation issues than I cared to deal with. The A3/S3 being a first year model does not concern me enough to not purchase. The car comes with a 4/50 warranty. I will purchase an extended warranty because I'm not leasing.

4. Buying Vs. Leasing, only you can decide what works best. I have leased for many years but I'm ready to buy and hang onto a car for 10+ years... unless I win the lotto. In ten years, my house will be paid off.

5. I looked at all manufactures and Audi really caught my eye. I test drove Lincoln and Cadillac and was not impressed. I do not like the BMWs interior (just my opinion)

One of my concerns is the dealers are 1 hour away. I'm use to driving a car that has dealers everywhere. Other than that, I'm pretty excited about the car. Have to find an S3 to drive.

I wish us both the best of luck!

Last edited by drober30; 10-06-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Decide for yourself. Don't let strangers on the internet help you decide on what car to get. Both cars are nice and neither car short-changes you in regards to value. The answers to the questions that you are asking, can all be found be using google.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Decide for yourself. Don't let strangers on the internet help you decide on what car to get. Both cars are nice and neither car short-changes you in regards to value. The answers to the questions that you are asking, can all be found be using google.
Agreed. It's all subjective. We can all give you opinions but you have to make the call. The A3 had been available for some time now in other parts of the world. Same for the S3. When I first read about the S3 coming to the US almost a year ago, I decided I had to have one. EVERY review was positive. Only gripe was lack of a manual transmission. I would have enjoyed a manual perhaps but so, so loving this DSG auto shifter in my S3 now. Audi makes a quality car. Period. The luxury and quality of a fully loaded A3 vs the S3 are comparable but you cannot compare the power. The S3 just wants to go. I considered a 2 series BMW and also the new Mercedes CLA. I'm quite pleased with my choice however. Consider me a satisfied customer.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would add one thing, don't buy a first US model year Audi as a keeper (I'd say 5 years max), it will just nickel and dime you. Lease this one and then buy the 2017 as a keeper, especially an S3.

I have 20 years experience with Audi... Deeply love them and am loyal to the brand, but don't love their longevity.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
I would add one thing, don't buy a first US model year Audi as a keeper (I'd say 5 years max), it will just nickel and dime you. Lease this one and then buy the 2017 as a keeper, especially an S3.

I have 20 years experience with Audi... Deeply love them and am loyal to the brand, but don't love their longevity.
I would add to never lease but to buy so you will have equity to sell/trade on your next vehicle.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gamegenie
I would add to never lease but to buy so you will have equity to sell/trade on your next vehicle.
You do have the option to grab the equity at lease-end by buying out the residual value, or negotiating with the dealer and assigning the value to the dealer as a trade-in. Leasing gives you this option.

Plus you have gap insurance and no downside lease-end or trade-in value. Audi has no disposition fees at this time.

The only negative is the cost of the initial bank fee.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
You do have the option to grab the equity at lease-end by buying out the residual value,
you do, but in the meantime you'll be driving a car you don't technicaly own and can't modify or do anything that might breach the lease.

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
or negotiating with the dealer and assigning the value to the dealer as a trade-in. Leasing gives you this option.
That's easier said than done. You would have to buy the car first at the end of your lease. Then try to trade/sell it.

If this was the case for leases, heck before my '12 Sonata lease ended this past August, I would have used it's value for a trade-in for a '15 Genesis. I say that's wishful thinking but not a reality.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on an A3. Then I drove an S3. Then I bought an S3.

Drive both, then decide.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kdigital
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on an A3. Then I drove an S3. Then I bought an S3.

Drive both, then decide.
Yup, me too

Quick Reply: My first Audi? Fully loaded 2015 A3 vs S3? Sell me!