Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New S3 PP Monsoon Gray

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S3 PP Monsoon Gray

Picked up my new S3 on Tuesday. Monsoon Gray PP with MMI+ and no other options. I'm thrilled with the car. It is a massive upgrade from my 2008 GLI; the differences are not subtle.

Interior:

I was initially a little concerned with the interior, as it felt a little cheap vs virtually every other audi model available. After driving for a few days I can the interior is much nicer than photos lead us to believe. My only nits are the obscene huge headrests and the side bolsters on the seat and backrest feel like they should be more aggressive. Seems like the super sport seats should be the standard seats. Possibly could do with a bit more soft touch plastics. However, overall fit and finish is very nice.

Audio:

I did not go for the B&O and thought I would need to upgrade via aftermarket. Reality is the stock system is quite nice with CDs and iPod support. The web streaming, blue tooth, and satellite are a no go as they are on most cars. I am happy enough with the audio that I do not feel an upgrade is required and I am a true audiophile. Without serious modifications to the system - which I am not interested in - the stock audi concert system is very good.

Exterior:

The lip spoiler on the rear deck lid feels cheap vs other models with integrated spoilers. The base 18's are much nicer in person than on the audi website. I figure these will become winter wheels after I wear out the summer rubber they're wrapped in. A set of 19" Hartmann's are surely in order come spring.

Performance:

Lack of 6MT is a real downside, however the DSG is very nice. Shifts are nice and quick and the paddles are a blast. The car is very fast particularly if the turbo is spooled up in sport mode. Acceleration is very smooth up to reasonable highway mph and tuckers out after you're moving way too fast, beyond 5500rpm. You will not be disappointed. The performance is amazing and the suspension keeps up. Soooo much better than the 2.0T in my GLI.

The license plate holder came off before I left the dealer.

Overall extremely pleased with the car and really wouldn't change much at all. Recommended.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can you post some more pics of the car when you get a chance? Interested in seeing the lines of the S3 in that Monsoon.

Nice choice!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks!

I will post more pics. Haven't seen too many S3's in monsoon yet. I'll probably get around to posting them tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!! Congrats!

I ordered my S3 end of Aug, I am still waiting..........................................

you said that you took off the license plate holder, is it detachable?
Because i like the front without license plate holder but in WA, it is required and i do not want to get a ticket for that...

and Can you update the real-life-MPG on that car? just wondering.. =)
Old 09-12-2014, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice write-up… your conclusions are scarily similar to mine, particularly regarding the stereo.

Looks like you're in PA. What town, if you don't mind me asking?

Congrads, and sorry we can't rally, unless you want some pics of your S3 on the pacific coast.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with you on the wheels. I love the stock 18s in person. I'm a wheel ***** so I'm sure I'll get something else next year.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

arU4ic - yeah, I did read your write-up, hope it didn't feel like I ripped you off. Your review is exceptionally detailed. I've been taking notes since I got the car, prepping my write up. Really glad I got the all black interior. I'm outside of Reading, PA, about an hour West of Philly. I would love to get some rally time in with you, but when I hot the West Coast, I get off the plane and get in a rental car! I too thought I wanted a larger Audi, but comparing to the drive in the A4/S4 I liked the feel of this car much better. Might be a preference from driving my old GLI for so long.

I am a massive audiophile and videophile, and part of my opinion on the stereo involves the road/engine noise in the car. I feel a better audio system (from the factory, without sound dampening) would lose out to the sounds of the driving experience.

Sort of wish I had opted for the driver assistance package - there was another local car (in Sepang) in inventory that had it and I really like the auto dipping mirrors in reverse.

Enjoy your car!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Jason Jiwoong Yeon - the license plate holder come of by removing 2 screws and 2 clips. super easy to do
Old 09-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I drive a lot (long commute, mostly highway) and so far I'm getting between 22 and 24 mpg. Worth every penny of lost fuel economy. We'll see if the mileage gets any better over time. but if it doesn't, it won't bother me much. That's what TDI's are for!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kdigital
arU4ic - I'm outside of Reading, PA
Thats pretty much where I'm at, I'm assuming you went to Audi of Reading (Vision). When did you order? My dealer is part of the same group, and I have another 3 weeks till I get my car.

Quick Reply: New S3 PP Monsoon Gray