Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Please tell me more about your S3

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. The I find the ride even in "Comfort" to be a bit hard. Its not by any stretch bad, just my area has rough roads. I'm downsizing to 18's for the winter to see how it goes. My car is leased and I really do not want to have to buy a $500 rim if I bend one.

Originally Posted by drober30
(I read the thread you can adjust the sound of the exhaust using the MMI?) If so, does it really work?
I'm 90% sure the sound adjustment is just a loudspeaker that's either on or off. It's only for the inside of the car. Personally, I think its a little stupid to be augmenting the sound of the car like that so I leave it off.

3. The car can be driven normal, but, if you floor it and hit the switch under the peddle it will GO!

4. Yes
Old 11-24-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn Dutch
2. I'm 90% sure the sound adjustment is just a loudspeaker that's either on or off. It's only for the inside of the car. Personally, I think its a little stupid to be augmenting the sound of the car like that so I leave it off.
The exhaust is valved. So in dynamic, a valve opens, creating a louder (and likely freer flowing) exhaust. Check out the new Milltek S3 exhaust - it incorporates the valves.

I'm going to tear into my car this weekend and see, once and for all, if it actually has this illusive soundaktor. I haven't seen anything definitive to say that the 8V S3 actually has it.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn Dutch
2. I'm 90% sure the sound adjustment is just a loudspeaker that's either on or off. It's only for the inside of the car. Personally, I think its a little stupid to be augmenting the sound of the car like that so I leave it off.

4. Yes
Audi doesn't fake the engine sound or pump synthesized sounds through the loudspeakers like BMW. Audi just amplifies the existing sound. The reason why its done is because these cars are so insulated that you wouldn't hear the engine sound as much as you would like from within the interior.

Faking It: Engine-Sound Enhancement Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver
Old 11-24-2014, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thalaron
Just a side note:
The only downside I see with this car is the gas mileage (I've yet to ever see beyond 27 mpg) even on a long 65mph stretch of about 100+miles. Per tank I'm averaging around 24mpg (which is expected) but that's mostly highway. If you let it, it will drink down a gallon of gas very very quickly. It takes some will power not to. On short trips Its hard to break the 20mpg barrier. Even saying all of that, Its my ONLY complaint, everything else about the car i would consider perfection.I also had an A3 on order, but ditched it and bought the s3 as well, the A3 was fine, but didn't have enough zing and fun noises for me.
This is exactly right… great description thalaron.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Audi just amplifies the existing sound
I was going off of the Car & Driver review "...it cheats slightly with a sound-enhancing loudspeaker on the cowl..." I read that and assumed they meant speaker. Your explanation makes more sense