Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2015 A3 - Very strong jerk when accelerating from stop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 A3 - Very strong jerk when accelerating from stop?

Hello, I have a 1.8 FWD 2015 Audi A3 and when I try to accelerate quickly from a stop, there is a very noticeable "jerk" along the way. For example, just today I was stopped but needed to move over left one lane and accelerate quickly to keep pace with traffic coming up behind me. I release my brake, turn to the left, and floor the gas pedal (all the way past the "downshift notch" at the bottom). While I'm accelerating, there is at least one very heavy jerking motion - my passenger even noticed and asked if this was normal.

Does anyone else get this behavior? Am I only supposed to press down on the pedal more lightly/slowly? It seems like flooring the pedal from a stop should have digital/computer "assistance" in shifting properly such that there are no major jerks. I don't ever remember such jerky behavior from any other cars I've driven.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry for the addition, but I just remembered - sometimes the tires will "slip" and appear to lose traction slightly when I floor it - is this supposed to happen? Is this the traction control kicking in?
Old 01-17-2016, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

O___O have you ever driven a car before
Old 01-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markN1689
O___O have you ever driven a car before
What a helpful response

Like I said, this doesn't happen with other cars I've driven. For example, my friend's RWD 128i can just have it's throttle floored from a dead stop, and the computer takes care of all the upshifting smoothly. It's a peppy car, honestly a nicer engine and tranny than the 1.8 FWD. Other FWD cars (Lexus) I've driven also don't display this behavior. The Quattro sounds like it deals with this better, but I got the FWD since there's no snow down where I live; it's pretty ridiculous to have this level of wheelhop on an Audi.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clearwatersense
What a helpful response

Like I said, this doesn't happen with other cars I've driven. For example, my friend's RWD 128i can just have it's throttle floored from a dead stop, and the computer takes care of all the upshifting smoothly. It's a peppy car, honestly a nicer engine and tranny than the 1.8 FWD. Other FWD cars (Lexus) I've driven also don't display this behavior. The Quattro sounds like it deals with this better, but I got the FWD since there's no snow down where I live; it's pretty ridiculous to have this level of wheelhop on an Audi.
I had this happen on my A3 2.0 a few months ago so you're not alone. The road conditions were dry so I doubt it had anything to do with losing traction especially with the quattro. It hasn't happened since but I'll bring it up at my next service for the car.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by oblique
I had this happen on my A3 2.0 a few months ago so you're not alone. The road conditions were dry so I doubt it had anything to do with losing traction especially with the quattro. It hasn't happened since but I'll bring it up at my next service for the car.
Appreciate the response. Yeah it seems like it happens much less with the 2.0 Quattro. Hope it doesn't happen again to you, sounds like it's a very rare occurrence at least. I do wonder what the dealer will say, I suppose it's worth me bringing it up at my next service as well. I can imagine some variant of "operating as designed" though. But if they do say anything interesting shoot me a PM or update us!
Old 01-18-2016, 03:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clearwatersense
Appreciate the response. Yeah it seems like it happens much less with the 2.0 Quattro. Hope it doesn't happen again to you, sounds like it's a very rare occurrence at least. I do wonder what the dealer will say, I suppose it's worth me bringing it up at my next service as well. I can imagine some variant of "operating as designed" though. But if they do say anything interesting shoot me a PM or update us!
No problem I'll let you know if they mention something substantial about it.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wheel hop most likely. (skip to 45 seconds or so to see wheel hop)

You were turning and accelerating at the same time, which is a big no-no in a FWD car.