Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2015 S3 on Track

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairfax 4.0T
I have been driving on road circuits for 13 years, and have on the order of 150 to 200 track days worth of experience. I have a race prepared Porsche 944 turbo that I normally take to the track.
I was also unhappy with the DSG transmission. The DSG was often not in the right gear when exiting a corner, and it would have to downshift, after the power was applied.
unhappy with (1) the transmission
Originally Posted by jsausley
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Audi/VW DSG is dimwitted and slow on the track.
Upshifting automatically at redline, upshifting during off-throttle or maintenance throttle, not downshifting enough (one downshift when two would have been more appropriate), and just simply slow in manual mode.
dimwitted? why not just use manual mode guys? c'mon now. seems absurd that you wouldn't use it, and then complain about the car's shifting on the track!

why not use the s-tronic in manual mode? even try it? can't be any harder than driving a manual car, right?
it allows you to keep both hands on the wheel. and two feet for two pedals.

how could s-tronic be slow in manual mode, compared with what? a ferrari? or compared with a manual audi car?
this is not designed to start a discussion on what is best, 3pedal vs flappy paddles.
this IS now a discussion on why someone who attends a track event (who would prefer a manual car) would go to the track and use AUTO mode in an S3 S-tronic?
if you were talking about a drag race, that's another story.

Cheers!

Last edited by RyanS3; 03-24-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Excellent write up and the insight is much appreciated! I raced karts and VW Golfs many moons ago when I was stationed in Germany in the late 80s/early 90s. Not much track time since however. Pushing the S3 around some lonely back roads here in Ohio sort of pointed me toward what you wrote about. Audis notoriously understeer. Although I do leave the DSG in auto mode most days, I like using the flappy paddles from time to time. Something that has helped me in that regard is that I'm a huge racing fan (F1 primarily) and have an ambitious PC racing simulator at home. Been using paddles for years with my sims. And left footed braking as well. I do miss proper heel toe downshifts with a good manual but I've adapted and enjoy some of the advantages of the modern tech. Thanks again for the good write up!
I also road raced karts for many years and got so used to left foot braking I often find myself doing it on the street.
Regarding the S3, will it's TCU learn any bad habits if the driver left foot brakes? I was warned by my AMG rep and others with that the Mercedes TCU will learn bad habits if left foot braking while in the three sport auto modes. Mostly related to down shifts. In manual it's all up to the driver and clearing the bad learning is easy with the service menu.
Will the Audi do the same?
If so can it be reset by the user?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RyanS3
dimwitted? why not just use manual mode guys? c'mon now. seems absurd that you wouldn't use it, and then complain about the car's shifting on the track!

why not use the s-tronic in manual mode? even try it? can't be any harder than driving a manual car, right?
it allows you to keep both hands on the wheel. and two feet for two pedals.

how could s-tronic be slow in manual mode, compared with what? a ferrari? or compared with a manual audi car?
this is not designed to start a discussion on what is best, 3pedal vs flappy paddles.
this IS now a discussion on why someone who attends a track event (who would prefer a manual car) would go to the track and use AUTO mode in an S3 S-tronic?
if you were talking about a drag race, that's another story.

Cheers!
There's a noticeable delay if you shift during certain circumstances with the manual mode. It's better, for sure, but it's far from true manual precision - an example is during VIR's "roller coaster", which is a sequence of right-left-right downhill corners that requires a lot of on-off throttle balance. Several times during my track day in an S4, while in Dynamic with everything on its raciest setting, there was a 2-3 second lag in the upshift after pulling the lever. And this was on an Audi-prepped, low mileage car (during an Audi sponsored driving event). My friend's 2014 S6 was the same way.

I can tell it's mostly in the programming -- something in the car's brain telling it to wait to throw in the next gear, I'm not sure. No matter what engineers design into a car though, it will never be as responsive and precise as a manual transmission which by its very nature can be predictive since the driver can select a gear BEFORE the car knows it needs it.

Also, for goodness sake, why can't I tell the car NOT to upshift when nearing redline? Infuriating.

To the above poster: a lot of TCUs simply do not allow left-foot braking. One of the benefits of a DSG tune on a VW, for example (I have one on my CC -- it barely helped), is that it changes the programming to allow left-foot braking. The common coding for TCUs is to disengage throttle when the brake is applied (to give you engine braking and help the car slow down), so left-foot braking is impossible.

Last edited by jsausley; 03-24-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

The brake/throttle cut is not to prevent left foot braking, it's to prevent "run away cars". Thanks to electronic throttles, one way to 100% prevent a repeat of the "unintended acceleration" is to guarantee the throttle will cut when the brake is applied. It's a safety feature. And it's not new, every DBW car VW/Audi makes does that, since 00 or even earlier. These are road cars remember, most "racing" techniques aren't used by most buyers.

And for those who don't like the automatic upshift at the rev limit, I'd suggest to go drive an RS car, those will sit there and happily bang on the rev limiter all day when in M mode. =)
Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
The brake/throttle cut is not to prevent left foot braking, it's to prevent "run away cars". Thanks to electronic throttles, one way to 100% prevent a repeat of the "unintended acceleration" is to guarantee the throttle will cut when the brake is applied. It's a safety feature. And it's not new, every DBW car VW/Audi makes does that, since 00 or even earlier. These are road cars remember, most "racing" techniques aren't used by most buyers.

And for those who don't like the automatic upshift at the rev limit, I'd suggest to go drive an RS car, those will sit there and happily bang on the rev limiter all day when in M mode. =)
That makes perfect sense Kris. Appreciate the info. Had not attempted to left foot brake my S3 but sure I would have discovered the cut quickly! LOL. Shame we have to have the government mandate everything in the automotive world. Have never driven an RS type of any Audi model. Hope to someday however. Maybe trade up to an RS3 some years down the road?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't intend to start a fire - hey, you paid 50k for your S3, drive it however you want where ever you want, seriously. Extra credit for taking it to the track!

However, I agree with the notion that unless you drive a car as manual as possible you can't fully assess the track-ability. BUT, if you are going to compare in D or S, the auto learns your driving habits and daily driving isn't exactly the same as a track with no lights or traffic, I don't believe that the trans is gonna be very accommodating when you suddenly start driving it like you stole it.

(wait, does the S learn too or just D?)
Old 03-25-2015, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen

And for those who don't like the automatic upshift at the rev li mit, I'd suggest to go drive an RS car, those will sit there and happily bang on the rev limiter all day when in M mode. =)

That does make sense, thanks!
Old 03-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Not sure it is our government, or any government, dictating this, or if Audi just thought it was a good idea to have this setup. I'll see if I can find more info on it..

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
That makes perfect sense Kris. Appreciate the info. Had not attempted to left foot brake my S3 but sure I would have discovered the cut quickly! LOL. Shame we have to have the government mandate everything in the automotive world. Have never driven an RS type of any Audi model. Hope to someday however. Maybe trade up to an RS3 some years down the road?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

is there a way to reset what the computer learns about your driving habit?
Old 03-26-2015, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up.

I have not taken my A3 on the track yet, however everything you pointed out is exactly the stuff I have experienced in daily driving. Particularly the transmission. It's never in the right gear when in sport/dynamic when exiting turns, and the transmissions, IMO, is deathly slow at shifting. The lag between mashing the accelerator and then the transmission figuring out what I want it to do, really seems like an eternity.

Granted I came from a manual transmission and its been about 15 years since I've been in an automatic transmission vehicle, just figured this transmission would be better as it like the PDK's cousin. Hoping Audi releases a software update to address some of the weirdness (like staying in 2nd gear till redline... just isn't as smart for learning your driving style.)

The understeer, from what I have read so far, might be "fixed" by changing to aftermarket sway bars. Some have said its made the car feel far more solid in the twisty's.

Quick Reply: 2015 S3 on Track