Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

APR Stage 1 review - 2015 A3 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Stage 1 review - 2015 A3 2.0T

I've heard nothing but good things about APR's stage one kit for the MQB platform. Anyone on here have reviews? I'm trying to decide whether to tune or get new wheels.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

APR Stage I kit? Not really a kit. It's just a software reflash of your ECU. Takes about 30 minutes. I got the Stage I for my S3 and now have a permanent smile on my face. The car is now stupid fast. No kidding. But only when you want it to be fast. Leave the transmission in normal mode, go easy on the gas and it isn't any different that what you are experiencing now. But the potential is always there. The transmission seems to shift better now as well. I was reluctant due to possible future warranty issues but some other forum members convinced me after they got their ARP tunes. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

More like 15 minutes at most, but yea... I would definitely recommend, you'll like the car much more than you would getting new wheels. It won't make "other" people like your car more (wheels would be better to make it flashier). But it will make "YOU" like your car more. It completely changes the car from a car that does "ok" to ... well I can't really take "full" advantage of the car because it's not legal for me to do so.

I had my car at 140mph this morning. It took me 10 seconds from "legal" speed (10 over the speed limit, where a cop won't pull you over) to I where would have had my license removed at gunpoint if I'd been pulled over. 10 seconds of flooring it is not very long. My car accelerated faster 80-140 than some older/cheaper cars do 0-70
Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys, you're really confirming what everyone else has told me! I was worried about the warranty too but asked my dealer and they said it would only hurt if there was an issue directly related to the tune. Did you pair with intake and/or downpipe?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I purchased the APR carbon fiber intake as well. Easy install. Not cheap however. Good for about 10 HP supposedly. Sound is a bit nicer under the hood as well. Did not opt for the Stage II downpipe. Quite satisfied with the current power level. I'm glad I did the tune. No regrets. I expect to keep this car for some time so I certainly don't beat on it and I'm not street racing anyone. I will admit to feeling very nice about leaving confused looks on Camaro and Challenger driver's faces at times when they drive like total jerks. My black grocery hauling 4 door can move along nicely.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have the APR Stage I *Low power* map. This, in theory, made the A3 power around the same range as the S3 power non-chipped. I tired the full 93 map, and I wasnt thrilled with how the tranny felt and thought it was searching for gears a bit too much. I also thought the engine felt a bit more boosty than I wanted, but then I work out the house, and all of my driving is around town except for NEQ track events (Pocono/Whiskey Hill/Watkins Glen this year alone). I ended up going back to the low power map. I think the combo of the TCU software and a downpipe to smooth out the torque in the low end would probably resolve those issues for me, but thats another $2k in mods which I thought would be better spent on the S3 brake upgrade (arriving in about a week! Very excited).
Old 07-30-2015, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by daves4
I have the APR Stage I *Low power* map. This, in theory, made the A3 power around the same range as the S3 power non-chipped. I tired the full 93 map, and I wasnt thrilled with how the tranny felt and thought it was searching for gears a bit too much. I also thought the engine felt a bit more boosty than I wanted, but then I work out the house, and all of my driving is around town except for NEQ track events (Pocono/Whiskey Hill/Watkins Glen this year alone). I ended up going back to the low power map. I think the combo of the TCU software and a downpipe to smooth out the torque in the low end would probably resolve those issues for me, but thats another $2k in mods which I thought would be better spent on the S3 brake upgrade (arriving in about a week! Very excited).
daves4: Understand what you mean you mean about the transmission "searching" for gears after the APR tune. But I think that is normal as it tries to find the best range while driving in dynamic mode after the tune. It keeps the revs higher in expectation of needing acceleration immediately I believe. More noticeable while driving around town in city traffic. In standard D transmission mode, it drives quite normally to me.

What brake upgrades are you looking at? My only brake changes are the recent purchase of ceramic pads. Tired of the wheels covered in brake dust. Hoping I don't lose too much feel or overall braking power after installing the pads.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
daves4: Understand what you mean you mean about the transmission "searching" for gears after the APR tune. But I think that is normal as it tries to find the best range while driving in dynamic mode after the tune. It keeps the revs higher in expectation of needing acceleration immediately I believe. More noticeable while driving around town in city traffic. In standard D transmission mode, it drives quite normally to me.
Agree with you on the different modes. Since I got tired of not taking the point-bys at Watkins Glen, I'm probably going back to the full power 93 map.

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
What brake upgrades are you looking at? My only brake changes are the recent purchase of ceramic pads. Tired of the wheels covered in brake dust. Hoping I don't lose too much feel or overall braking power after installing the pads.
I went for the S3 brake kit from ECS (on bigtime back order now), but had them swap out the stock S3 rotors for the slotted ones, and (just yesterday) change the pads to the EBC redstuff from the greenstuff they originally provided in their 'kit' and the yellowstuff I did change them to. I also threw in the steel brake lines just for sh*ts and giggles. Money was a big factor for me, and this upgrade is running about $1800 (also includes redstuff pads for the rear) compared to the next closest (and obviously better) BBK that starts at $3000. It also helps to keep the cost of the pads for replacement down a bit. I'll end up doing about 10-12 track days a year and wanted to hold onto some funds for those, which typically run about $500 for the two day events, plus $200 for two days at a (cheap) hotel, etc... Seems a good option for my application.

I should be getting this kit by mid next week, and have them installed by the weekend. I'll report back my findings.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now doing all of this on a lease car would not be a good idea right? Whats the most you could do on a 36 month leased A3 2.0 2015?
Old 07-31-2015, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

daves4: Wow! Some serious brake upgrades there. That should be a huge improvement during your track time. I don't see myself taking my S3 to track although I would love to do so. Brakes would be at the top of my list. Speaking of brakes, changed my pads as well today. But for other reasons than yours. Went with Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads from Centric ordered through TireRack. I was getting tired of the brake dust on the nice rims. Went with ceramics on my last car and was happy. Those where Hawk pads however. Installed today and went out to bed them in very well. They don't feel much different than the OEM pads really and I made a few hard stops from 80 mph.

Thanks for explaining your brake upgrade to us. Sure others will be interested as well. Something I will have to revisit sometime down the road.

Can't comment the difference between the low and high power APR tune. Never ran the lower power setting. Quite pleased with the 93 octane rated tune. And with gas prices still going down, even better!!

Quick Reply: APR Stage 1 review - 2015 A3 2.0T