Audi Connect and AT&T 4G - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A3 / S3 /RS 3 > Audi A3 / S3 /RS 3 MKII
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Audi A3 / S3 /RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 and up Audi A3 S3 and RS3

Audi Connect and AT&T 4G

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2014, 03:29 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Default Audi Connect and AT&T 4G

Anyone have any idea if it's possible to swap the AT&T SIM card for a T-Mobile SIM and use T-Mobile service instead of the excessive cost for the AT&T plan?
adamo010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 27
Default

glad i'm not the only one who was going to attempt to do this. I'm not an ATT fan.
Brett Melillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 33
Default

I'm more interested in seeing if Audi will follow Chevy's lead. Chevy has announced that their AT&T 4G equipped cars can be added to AT&T customers' mobile plans for $10 a month, which would let the car piggyback on your own data plan, rather than having to pay the higher rates the car companies charge for their data plans.
habu987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Default

I am a T-Mobile subscriber and have been happy for a decade with them, yet I am ready to switch to AT&T with a bundled system that combines my mobile phone and home phone in a package that gives me a discount on my A3 mobile phone connection. AT&T is better than having to deal with Verizon. Verizon simply sucks.............
jdouglas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by habu987 View Post
I'm more interested in seeing if Audi will follow Chevy's lead. Chevy has announced that their AT&T 4G equipped cars can be added to AT&T customers' mobile plans for $10 a month, which would let the car piggyback on your own data plan, rather than having to pay the higher rates the car companies charge for their data plans.
ATT has talked about adding Audi on as well for the mobile share. I just talked to ATT via a chat CSR and they said that it is not offered right now, but they are looking into it
TorinTPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorinTPG View Post
ATT has talked about adding Audi on as well for the mobile share. I just talked to ATT via a chat CSR and they said that it is not offered right now, but they are looking into it
I wonder how long that decision process will take? I'm planning to order an A3 in August/September, so I'd love to be able to just add the car to my plan and let it piggyback on my much more generous data plan.
habu987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Default

You get 6 free months when you buy the car, so that should push you into 2015. I can only imagine that they'll make up their minds by then on what they want to do
TorinTPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
aj6
Audiworld Junior Member
 
aj6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 81
Default

I just wanted to pass on to everyone...

I bought a SIM card adapter (
Amazon.com: Black Nano Sim Adapter and Micro Sim Adapter and Nano to Micro Adapter with a Sim Card Folder and a Needle,pls Place in Wallet Help You Use It Anytime: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Black Nano Sim Adapter and Micro Sim Adapter and Nano to Micro Adapter with a Sim Card Folder and a Needle,pls Place in Wallet Help You Use It Anytime: Cell Phones & Accessories
) and put my cell phone's SIM card into the Audi and was instantly and seamlessly greeted with a full LTE data connection with functioning Google Maps and Voice search.

The only feature that wasn't available during my test was the actual Audi Connect subgroup in the MMI (Weather, Facebook, etc). It's more than enough to convince me that once our free trials are done we'll have ample options to bypass the hefty price gouging from the AT&T Audi Connect plan.
aj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Default

Thank you for this info! I'll need it soon.
lmhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 56
Default

Great news, can't wait to test when I get mine in 2 weeks!
link1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
aj6
Audiworld Junior Member
 
aj6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 81
Default

I forgot to mention that the sim card I used was T-mobile. I imagine any GSM data sim would work though.
aj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Default

Just wanted to officially confirm to everyone .. I bought a pre-paid SIM that uses the T-Mo network and it worked fine in my 2015 A3. 4G coverage worked fine, as did dropping down to 3G in non-4G coverage areas.

To make matters "nicer" - that pre-paid SIM offers 512MB/month of data for $5 "all in" including taxes, with recurring billings. Now the network is clearly not as broad as AT&T's however what I will say is: I've used about 300MB of data in total over the last 5 months in my A3 with AT&T, due to caching of the Google Maps data and the fact that I haven't driven more than ~200mi from my home.
.. and for a $5/mo price point this is a no brainer.
adamo010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamo010 View Post
Just wanted to officially confirm to everyone .. I bought a pre-paid SIM that uses the T-Mo network and it worked fine in my 2015 A3. 4G coverage worked fine, as did dropping down to 3G in non-4G coverage areas.

To make matters "nicer" - that pre-paid SIM offers 512MB/month of data for $5 "all in" including taxes, with recurring billings. Now the network is clearly not as broad as AT&T's however what I will say is: I've used about 300MB of data in total over the last 5 months in my A3 with AT&T, due to caching of the Google Maps data and the fact that I haven't driven more than ~200mi from my home.
.. and for a $5/mo price point this is a no brainer.
Great to hear! For posterity, do all Audi Connect features work (e.g. sending addresses to car) in addition to the Google Earth view? Did you have to change any settings in the MMI or did you just pop in the prepaid TMo SIM? Thanks!
yargok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Default

Where do you find this $5 prepaid sim?
TorinTPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #15
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Default

Wondering if this it? There may be others but the hassle-free would be my choice, with this price!

Red Pocket 4G Mobile Broadband - 512MB @ 4G speed - GSMT - ALL - onetime
Soliton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:21 AM   #16
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliton View Post
Wondering if this it? There may be others but the hassle-free would be my choice, with this price!

Red Pocket 4G Mobile Broadband - 512MB @ 4G speed - GSMT - ALL - onetime
that's it I wasn't going to post the recommendation here - sent it via DM!
adamo010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #17
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yargok View Post
Great to hear! For posterity, do all Audi Connect features work (e.g. sending addresses to car) in addition to the Google Earth view? Did you have to change any settings in the MMI or did you just pop in the prepaid TMo SIM? Thanks!
Wanted to confirm: yes. However, my account still has an active AT&T plan .. as I'm 5.5 months into the 6 month plan.

I'll check it again when it expires.

Had to change the APN in the MMI to match the APN of the alternative provider but that was easily found via search.
adamo010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #18
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 282
Default

If you tell T-Mobile you want to use it in a tablet, and you already have the T-Mobile simple plan, they will charge you $10/month for a matching data plan that covers up to 5GB of LTE data, depending on your phone limits. Should work fine.
__________________
Eph
Current: 2011 535i (ED), 2013 S5 6-speed (ED), 2016 A6 (ED June 29)
Previous: 2008 A3, 2001 S4, 2007 335i (ED), 1997 528i (ED), 1995 530i (ED),
1992 325i (ED), 1985 535i (ED), 1984 318i, 1978 530i
Fithian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #19
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamo010 View Post
Wanted to confirm: yes. However, my account still has an active AT&T plan .. as I'm 5.5 months into the 6 month plan.

I'll check it again when it expires.

Had to change the APN in the MMI to match the APN of the alternative provider but that was easily found via search.
How does this work? Is it a pre-paid for 512mb total? Or 512mb per month?

Also, you said that this does in fact work int he A3, correct?
TorinTPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #20
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,769
Default

I have an ATT Sim that I use for my Tablet. 3GB per month for $30. Tempted to give it a try on the S3.
__________________
Currently Enjoying:
2015 Audi S3 Prestige Panther Black/Bangin Olufsen/Magnetic Ride
Spoonie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community