Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Brake Dust is out of control!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess my main concern is rotor wear if it is in fact accelerated. Performance wise I dont think Ill have my car on a track anytime soon and even if I did I wouldnt have any business pushing the brakes or car to the limit. LoL

Interesting discussion regardless and thanks for all the insight!

Last edited by S3Tom; 05-18-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 08-25-2015, 05:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So has anyone swapped out the pads on their S3 at this point? Just curious what folks are doing at this point.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered Centric Posi Quiet ceramic pads (fronts and rears) from Tire Rack a few weeks ago. $108 shipped to the house. Did the install myself. Approximately 8000 miles on my odometer. Was going to order earlier but rears were not available via Tire Rack. Easy install. The car brakes almost identically to using OEM pads but without the initial bite the OEM pads provide. I don't intend to track my car but I drive aggressively when conditions allow and there is no traffic. Virtually no brake dust on my nice 19 inch Audi rims. HUGE difference in that regard.

Put ceramics on my last car and ran them for thousands of miles without issues to the brake rotor. I repainted my calipers on the previous car every spring when I switched from winter to summer wheel/tire set. I pulled the pads and looked everything over. Was pleased then with ceramics and pleased now. May not be everyone's cup of tea but I'm quite happy to have made the switch. $100 is not a huge investment.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm over 13,000 miles on the odometer and 12,000 of those miles are with the ceramics from TireRack. Absolutely no issues and no brake dust!!
Old 08-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys. I think I'll order a set when I order tires in the fall, gotta swap out these oem summer only tires.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just got a 2016 S3. Its got 400 KM on it and I have the exact same issue. Excessive brake dust. Id rather fix the problem than find better ways to just clean them. Anyone one that switched to ceramic pads notice much of a difference?
Old 11-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Excellent discussion, thanks to everyone who shared their experience thus far.

Can anyone speak to noise from the Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads sold by Tire Rack?

Do they squeak, chirp, or otherwise generate sound in any way?
Old 11-08-2015, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installing ceramic brake pads on my S3 was one of the single best things I did to the car. Braking performance is excellent but admittedly there is slightly less stopping power than the OEM pads. However in day to day driving and even spirited driving now and then, you will not notice. Scout's honor. And you will literally never see brake dust again. Night and day difference in that regard. Extremely quite pads too. No chirping, squealing, etc. Glad I made the switch. Can highly recommend.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your reply. I will try a set of ceramic pads.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can't deal with all the dust anymore, I drive 80 miles per day and the amount of dust after a week is insane.

Do you guys know how the Redstuff compares to the posi quiet ceramics? Any chance tha might get me in trouble with the dealer when they are doing maintenance? Any chances to get a TD1 by doing that?

What if I change pads and rotors? Any experiences? Does it get better initial byte with ceramics? I don't really like the look of OEM rotors with the 19" wheels.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust is out of control!