Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Don't like DSG transmission...miss my manual 6 A4!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by A4DRVR
I'm really disappointed with the transmission in my 2015 A3. I really wish there was an option for a fully manual transmission without getting into an S.
To my knowledge the S3 is not available with a manual transmission, at least not in the US.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by A4DRVR
D Manual & S Manual?????? The only diff here is what mode it's in when you bump back over to auto. The manual mode is manual is manual. Or am i missing something?
No it's not. If you are in S and bump over to manual, the transmission and engine is in dynamic mode and it executes the shifts faster with more aggressive clutch engagements. If you are in D and then bump over the shifts and clutch engagements are more comfortable. The difference is not that noticeable in the A3, but if you step up to an RS5 for example it's very obvious. I'm sure it's more noticeable in the S3 as well.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
No it's not. If you are in S and bump over to manual, the transmission and engine is in dynamic mode and it executes the shifts faster with more aggressive clutch engagements. If you are in D and then bump over the shifts and clutch engagements are more comfortable. The difference is not that noticeable in the A3, but if you step up to an RS5 for example it's very obvious. I'm sure it's more noticeable in the S3 as well.
hmm...thank you for learning me
Old 12-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
To my knowledge the S3 is not available with a manual transmission, at least not in the US.
My mistake, I thought I remembered the dealer saying the you could get a manual in the S3.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am actually REALLY disappointed with the Audi DSG. Here are my issues:

1) The paddles are really just buttons on the steering wheel - not actual paddles.
2) The paddles are wheel mounted rather than column mounted.
3) When Im giving it some juice (or even just moderate acceleration) and pull the up paddle, it takes half a second or so for the transmission to start the shift (its fast once it decided to engage).
4) The paddles are stupid tiny.
5) The car will shift for me when I go to redline - why?
6) I cannot select any other gear other than first when I am stopped.
7) No roll-back (This might be because the car keep the breaks on to prevent that, but I have also noticed it will engage the gear and the car will start to climb a hill with no gas being applied)

Then car is basically an automatic car with some afterthought paddles on it. I thought I would get used to this transmission over a manual but I also wish I still had a stick. I am not against DSG gearboxes, but I think they could be done so much better. If this car acted more like a manual with an automatic clutch I would be happier. Its just an automatic in disguise to me.

With that being said, the other three cars I have driven with DSGs are a Porsche 997 C4S, Aston Martin DB9, and a Ferrari California. Maybe its the extra dollars that get you what Im missing in the S3. Im still super happy with my S3 - but Im just shocked at how little I enjoy the DSG in this car.

TL : DR - the S3 is an automatic car in disguise, could have bene a better car with a manual, or if the DSG acted differently, but I still love the car.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

^^ It's money and more performance oriented cars that give you what you are missing. With Audi, you have to get an RS or R. In those cars the DSG doesn't upshift at redline and is much more raw. It still has a nice comfortable side for daily driving, but if you put the car in dynamic you can feel the difference. In A models, the DSG is largely a more fuel efficient automatic. In S models it has a bit more sportiness, but it keeps the annoying comfort features like automatic upshifts at redline from the A models.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bradenalexander
I am actually REALLY disappointed with the Audi DSG. Here are my issues:

1) The paddles are really just buttons on the steering wheel - not actual paddles.
2) The paddles are wheel mounted rather than column mounted.
3) When Im giving it some juice (or even just moderate acceleration) and pull the up paddle, it takes half a second or so for the transmission to start the shift (its fast once it decided to engage).
4) The paddles are stupid tiny.
5) The car will shift for me when I go to redline - why?
6) I cannot select any other gear other than first when I am stopped.
7) No roll-back (This might be because the car keep the breaks on to prevent that, but I have also noticed it will engage the gear and the car will start to climb a hill with no gas being applied)

Then car is basically an automatic car with some afterthought paddles on it. I thought I would get used to this transmission over a manual but I also wish I still had a stick. I am not against DSG gearboxes, but I think they could be done so much better. If this car acted more like a manual with an automatic clutch I would be happier. Its just an automatic in disguise to me.

With that being said, the other three cars I have driven with DSGs are a Porsche 997 C4S, Aston Martin DB9, and a Ferrari California. Maybe its the extra dollars that get you what Im missing in the S3. Im still super happy with my S3 - but Im just shocked at how little I enjoy the DSG in this car.

TL : DR - the S3 is an automatic car in disguise, could have bene a better car with a manual, or if the DSG acted differently, but I still love the car.

I agree with all these points. Mounting the paddles on the steering wheel is beyond dumb.

My last vehicles (EVO X MR) transmission did everything the way it was supposed to.

1) Column mounted Aluminum paddles. Check
2) Instant gear changes. Check (all gears except 2nd gear sometimes, then it was just a slight delay)
3) Doesn't shift at redline in manual mode
4) Able to select second gear from a standstill? (cant remember)
5) Car rolled back like a Stick

Too bad Mitsubishi is as lost as they come when it comes to their car division. I would have considered another EVO.

But lets get back to the manual vs DSG. I drove my buddies 2002 Audi A4 3.0t that was a manual. Operating the transmission felt like I was operating a vehicle from the early 1900's. Plenty of unnecessary involvement IMO. After shifting gears for 18 years I just got tired of doing it during daily driving. and in traffic it felt like torture. To each his own, but the 6-speed with clutch pedal didn't even feel like more "fun" to me. Just more involvement.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Mounting the paddles on the steering wheel is beyond dumb.
Two schools of thought on this one I guess. I happen to like them mounted on the steering wheel. If you properly hold the steering wheel at all times at 9/10 and 2/3 o'clock positions, then the paddles are always where your hands are. Works very well when chasing up a winding mountain road. Around town when I'm more casual about holding the steering wheel, I frequently use the gear stick to shift, especially when making an immediate turn after a stop.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Two schools of thought on this one I guess. I happen to like them mounted on the steering wheel. If you properly hold the steering wheel at all times at 9/10 and 2/3 o'clock positions, then the paddles are always where your hands are. Works very well when chasing up a winding mountain road. Around town when I'm more casual about holding the steering wheel, I frequently use the gear stick to shift, especially when making an immediate turn after a stop.
I get where your coming from, but I should have to use the stick to change when making a turn from an immediate stop. I just really like knowing where my up and down paddles are regardless of where the when is turned too. Although one really should not be changing gears while in a turn anyway - only on the entrance and exit points.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What if you shuffle steer? Console mounted shifters are always in the same place. Properly holding the wheel at 9 and 3 doesn't mean that your hands remain in the same position while moving the wheel. I do not cross my arms while steering for fear of the airbag. Don't want to get into that practice. If your arm is over the airbag when it goes off, kiss your arm and your life goodbye.

Last edited by Spoonie G; 12-18-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Don't like DSG transmission...miss my manual 6 A4!