Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Don't like DSG transmission...miss my manual 6 A4!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
What if you shuffle steer? Console mounted shifters are always in the same place. Properly holding the wheel at 9 and 3 doesn't mean that your hands remain in the same position while moving the wheel. I do not cross my arms while steering for fear of the airbag. Don't want to get into that practice. If your arm is over the airbag when it goes off, kiss your arm and your life goodbye.
Well, I think the question is when do you shift? If you downshift before entering a corner, hold the gear through the corner and upshift as you exit the corner, I really don't get the issue.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Well, I think the question is when do you shift? If you downshift before entering a corner, hold the gear through the corner and upshift as you exit the corner, I really don't get the issue.
You can shift while in the corner with DSG. You would/could do that while negotiating an increasing and or decreasing radius turns. Shifting mid-turn is something you cannot do with a traditional manual without upsetting the chassis attitude. With DSG, If the turn tightens you can downshift while in the turn. If it opens up you can up shift while in the turn instead of being in the wrong gear. The vehicle remains smooth and composed. If you shuffle steer, and need to shift mid-turn, the steering wheel mounted shifters are useless. Got it now?

Last edited by Spoonie G; 12-18-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with superswiss. If I'm driving slow, I shift with the stick. If I'm going fast in a turn, I use the paddles and they are always right next to my hands. Shuffle steering reminds me of James May.

I've never had my arms crossed while steering. The steering ratios are tight enough that I've never needed both hands on the wheel while turning that tight. If I'm turning that tight, I'm in a parking lot or making a u turn and I use the stick to shift.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EGainer
I agree with superswiss. If I'm driving slow, I shift with the stick. If I'm going fast in a turn, I use the paddles and they are always right next to my hands. Shuffle steering reminds me of James May.
Watch footage of folks driving around a racetrack. Almost all of them shuffle steer. Its a driving technique that is well known and well used. Nothing really to make fun of. And you didn't address how someone is going to know which paddle to pull if they shuffle steer?
Old 12-18-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

They will know, they'd just have to reach in awkward ways or use the stick.

My only complaint with the dsg is I have to look at the gear display to know the gear if I'm downshifting from 6 to 3 or so. With a stick I can feel the gear without looking
Old 12-18-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You can shift while in the corner with DSG. You would/could do that while negotiating an increasing and or decreasing radius turns. Shifting mid-turn is something you cannot do with a traditional manual without upsetting the chassis attitude. With DSG, If the turn tightens you can downshift while in the turn. If it opens up you can up shift while in the turn instead of being in the wrong gear? Got it now? If you shuffle steer, and need to shift mid-turn, the steering wheel mounted shifters are useless,
Yes, you can do all that, and I do and I still don't have any issues with the paddles mounted on the steering wheel. My brain must be wired for it.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EGainer
They will know, they'd just have to reach in awkward ways or use the stick.

My only complaint with the dsg is I have to look at the gear display to know the gear if I'm downshifting from 6 to 3 or so. With a stick I can feel the gear without looking
I don't need to look to know what gear I'm in. Guess that stems from riding dirt-bikes as a child. Older motorcycles also didn't have a gear indicator. You should be able to feel what gear you are in by speed and revs.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, you can do all that, and I do and I still don't have any issues with the paddles mounted on the steering wheel. My brain must be wired for it.
It's more awkward reaching up to the 9 position of the wheel, or wherever the wheel has the lever is at that point, than it is to just give the paddle a pull from the constant position of the console. And if you shuffle steer, you'll have to take your hand off one part of the wheel, and put it where the shift lever is to get a gear, that just seems a bit awkward to me because the shifter could actually be a few inches, or several inches away from your other hand. No consistency. Different strokes....

Last edited by Spoonie G; 12-18-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's more awkward reaching up to the 9 position of the wheel, or wherever the wheel has the lever is at that point, than it is to just give the paddle a pull from the constant position of the console. And if you shuffle steer, you'll have to take your hand off one part of the wheel, and put it where the shift lever is to get a gear, that just seems a bit awkward to me because the shifter could actually be a few inches, or several inches away from your hand. No consistency. Different strokes....
I think part of it has to do with the differences in cars. With the 8500 rpm readline and 4500 rpm powerband of the RS5 I rarely need to shift mid corner even if radius decreases/increases. Also the dynamic steering rack in my car has a more direct ratio, so for the same amount of turn in, I have to turn the steering wheel less. I don't shuffle steer when doing performance/spirited driving. You have no control if you suddenly need to counter steer unless you have a good grip and both hands on the wheel during cornering. Here's a nice video of a great run around the Nurburgring in a Pagani Zonda R. Notice how he is not moving his hands. I shuffle steer in everyday driving, but then I mostly have the transmission in automatic mode.

EDIT: Also notice how with the column mounted paddles in the Pagani, his hands are not near the paddle or are near the opposite paddles in tight corners. That doesn't happen with the steering wheel mounted paddles.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-18-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It is what you are used to

I love the column mounted paddles on my Ferrari. I always know where they are. I have not got used to the idea that they move in the S3 - but I am sure I will.
After 6.5 years with a paddle shift Ferrari and a stick shift RS4, I never hunted for the shifter in the Ferrari but i did try finding paddles driving the RS4.
The driving styles are very different but the more I drive cars with automated clutches the less I miss a traditional 3 pedal car.

Quick Reply: Don't like DSG transmission...miss my manual 6 A4!