Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Question for Resonator Delete Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Resonator Delete Kit

Hi all;

So I got the kit installed about 1.5 months ago and loved it!! The sounds was amazing. Then for the past 2 weeks or so I've noticed that the sounds got reduced a lot and now it's pretty much same as the stock exhaust system. When I accelerate hard on Dynamic mode it's mostly the engine sounds that you can hear and nothing much from the back. Also there used to be lots of exhaust sound in the cabin but not anymore.

I took my 2016 S3 to the dealership and after they test drove the car and checked it side-by-side with other S3s, they said it sounds what it supposed to. My service person said when the kit is new there is a 2-3 weeks breakin-period and then it will be the same going forward. The sounds apparently is different in that breaki-period.

Has anyone experienced this? Any feedbacks/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vancity88
Hi all;

So I got the kit installed about 1.5 months ago and loved it!! The sounds was amazing. Then for the past 2 weeks or so I've noticed that the sounds got reduced a lot and now it's pretty much same as the stock exhaust system. When I accelerate hard on Dynamic mode it's mostly the engine sounds that you can hear and nothing much from the back. Also there used to be lots of exhaust sound in the cabin but not anymore.

I took my 2016 S3 to the dealership and after they test drove the car and checked it side-by-side with other S3s, they said it sounds what it supposed to. My service person said when the kit is new there is a 2-3 weeks breakin-period and then it will be the same going forward. The sounds apparently is different in that breaki-period.

Thanks in advance!
Carbon build up will tame the sound a bit over time but i've had mine for nearly a year and it still sounds better than stock IMO.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your just used it now. that's all.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vancity88
Hi all;

Thanks in advance!
I haven't notice any reduced impact - now been about a year and 10k miles. It is not noticeable or intrusive cruising on the highway - probably no different to stock then, but otherwise always more throaty
Old 03-24-2017, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Had mine since new, about 4k miles. If anything I thought it was getting louder. Are your flaps working?
Old 03-25-2017, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i installed mine and was happy with the increase in volume. about 2 weeks later i noticed it was considerably louder on wide open throttle. i have had the res delete for about 1 month and it has not reduced in volume at all. sounds awesome on WOT and non-droney on the highway. cheapest, best made, make-loud car part i have bought.

Last edited by -hef-; 03-25-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had mine on for about 9 months or so, and there's been no noticeable change. Still sounds the same as it did on install both inside and outside the car. My immediate thought is your valves failing, but if you've verified their function (physically not audibly), then I have no idea. What you describe shouldn't happen because you're down an entire resonator in your system. It would take a LOT to muffle the sound back down to an equivalent of what a full resonator can do. Maybe something climbed up on there and died, getting stuck? It happens...

My last theory is that as someone else implied, you've gotten used to it. It was shockingly different to me when I first got it put on, and I considered taking it right back off, but left it and it grew on me. It's still the same loudness but I just had gotten used to it. I bet going back to stock now would be sooo quiet.