Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

This happened..

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure that was terrifying. Glad you are safe. I did not know that summer tires would perform that way in the snow.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That was an overturn?! I couldn't even tell, the car looks barely damaged. Very glad that everyone involved was ok. Makes me glad I decided against summer tires.

And congrats on the Sepang Blue S3. That color is incredible.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Summer tires in those conditions have a mind of their own.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aj6
Note to self - switch to state farm and go driving in the mountains
Do it! Driving in mountains is just wonderful, if you are living in northern part of US then probably wait till spring-summer when the roads will be wonderful!

Beware of the car's understeer if you go too fast in corners! but you will quickly learn a lot about the car's and your limits!

Originally Posted by Tsle
Summer tires are downright scary in cold, snowy conditions -- this is a perfect example of why even a car with AWD, ESP, etc., can't overcome that handicap. Glad you're ok!
Yes, I totally agree! that day was awesome until weather betrayed us and suddenly conditions changed in less than an hour!

Originally Posted by MatSchroeher
Glad to see everyone ok. Not being in control of your car when it's slidding is a scary feeling
Yes, that feeling when you know something bad is going to happen pretty soon! lol

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Wow. Car looks very good for rolling over 3 times. Here is to Audi for fine construction. ...Crazy that they deliver cars in the fall with summer tires for these reasons.
The structure of the car is amazing, it rolled over soft snow and slope with bit of dry vegetation, as soon a the right side of the car tilted in the ditch both the side airbags deployed, the sunroof shattered but didn't fell on our head, the windscreen too cracked and the car had minor bruises! I never expected the car to total!
Old 12-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Summer tires in those conditions have a mind of their own.
Oh yes! I never realized that living in atlanta they would be a problem but I'm soon going to get all weather tires!

I assume even in rainy conditions they are pretty useless for spirited driving!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very glad you're OK! And the car doesn't look damaged at all. Important thing is that that the occupants are not damaged. Living in Ohio, a good set of winter tires is a must but I compromise with performance winter tires. They are more akin to all season tires but seem to work better overall when the snow really flies. Summer tires literally quite working when the temps hit about 40 degrees. The rubber gets hard and they just don't work properly. So they are treacherous in the cold even without the snow factor. Found that out quickly with my last car. Got new rims and performance winter tires for my S3 in October before the temps started to get really cold.

Glad you're OK.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sthree21
Oh yes! I never realized that living in atlanta they would be a problem but I'm soon going to get all weather tires!

I assume even in rainy conditions they are pretty useless for spirited driving!
Didn't realize you were from Atlanta, I was going to suggest attending one of the winter driving schools that the NEQ Audi Club puts on every winter to learn about snow and ice car control.

Insurance is great but preventing an accident is even better, glad no one was hurt.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dakar A3
Didn't realize you were from Atlanta, I was going to suggest attending one of the winter driving schools that the NEQ Audi Club puts on every winter to learn about snow and ice car control.

Insurance is great but preventing an accident is even better, glad no one was hurt.
Yes I would like to know more about Neq Audi Club, are there any members from that club on the forum?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sthree21
Yes I would like to know more about Neq Audi Club, are there any members from that club on the forum?

Thanks!
Yes, I am one. NEQ is the northeast US regional Audi Club of North America. When you join ACNA, you select the region you wish to belong. The activities of one region are usually available to all regions. Annual dues are $49. Besides the quarterly magazine and club activities is the Audi Supplier Discount program that gets you 6% off on new Audi's.

One thing I did with ACNA this year was free early admission to the North America Car Show this past April in NYC.

Check it out. Audi Club of North America

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 12-15-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow! Glad you are safe and its only the car that is damaged. Goes to show how important it is having the right type of tires for the season.

Btw, just saw this in regards to crash ratings.

Five Stars for Audi A3 and S3 Sedans in Government Crash Test - Fourtitude.com

Quick Reply: This happened..