Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

This happened..

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear noone was hurt! That car looks like it's in great shape considering the circumstances.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have max performance summer tires on all my cars and I'm able to drive through snow without issue. Yes, snow tires would be better, but I get snow once it twice a year.

Glad it worked out for you to get a new car so quick.

How fast was the car moving when it rolled? I wouldn't expect 10mph to roll it
Old 12-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EGainer
I have max performance summer tires on all my cars and I'm able to drive through snow without issue. Yes, snow tires would be better, but I get snow once it twice a year.

Yes around 10-12 miles/hr also icy inclination did me coming down the mountain.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EGainer

What about stopping on snow and icy packed roads?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't stop. I roll or steer around. In my 135 BMW with bald max summer tires I was able to get around fine. Problem was only with starting, I needed second gear plus help. After that I just never stopped. If I did I was stuck. My audis all had no trouble with summer tires.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

One thing an old mountain man taught me when driving in snow/ice in the mountains: when coming down a slope and the car starts veering to either side, put the car in neutral, as this keeps the wheels from pulling to one side or the other side. I used this technique with driving down a mountain at very low speed. The car started veering off to one side, and even though I had the steering wheel in the total opposite direction, the car was heading the other direction into a huge ditch. I remembered to take the car out of drive and put it in neutral. This worked! I regained control of the steering and coasted slowly down the mountain without any problem.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jmn555
One thing an old mountain man taught me when driving in snow/ice in the mountains: when coming down a slope and the car starts veering to either side, put the car in neutral, as this keeps the wheels from pulling to one side or the other side. I used this technique with driving down a mountain at very low speed. The car started veering off to one side, and even though I had the steering wheel in the total opposite direction, the car was heading the other direction into a huge ditch. I remembered to take the car out of drive and put it in neutral. This worked! I regained control of the steering and coasted slowly down the mountain without any problem.
Was the car you were driving AWD, RFW or rear wheel drive? Did it have ABS? How fast were you going. These and other variables determine the best approach to maintaining control im such a situation, IMO.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sailor99
I'm sure that was terrifying. Glad you are safe. I did not know that summer tires would perform that way in the snow.
Hence the name, "summer" tires....
Old 12-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jmn555
...not with summer tires.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sthree21
Summer tires, probably some error on my side as well as this is the first time I drove in these conditions. this happened during thanksgiving night, we were on top of smokey mountains when out of nowhere it started snowing. we decided to come down driving slow, I was doing 10 miles when this happened, front end lost all the traction and the slope kept pulling the car, steering would not respond too until it fell into this ditch and rolled over 3 times.. Audi's safety features are brilliant, I did not even get a scratch! lucky me!
Glad you're ok, gorgeous new ride.