Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Help with High Beam Assist Activation

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with High Beam Assist Activation

Hello to all. I'm a happy owner of an audi A3 Sedan. Have it now for 5 days and think its great. Though i have a little problem. I specked the led lights, they r great on the road, but i can not activate the automatic function of the high beam assist . I followed the manual instructions, turned lights switch on auto and pressed the high beam once. nothing happens. I checked in the mmi and the auto lights function is on medium speed. its ok in there.
Any help? what i am doing wrong? Maybe a problem with the light sensor ?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I could be wrong but (at least for the 2017 models) high beam assist is only available as part of the Prestige package (which includes the LED lights).

-Jim
Old 01-16-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by carman63
I could be wrong but (at least for the 2017 models) high beam assist is only available as part of the Prestige package (which includes the LED lights).

-Jim
Think at least in my country the auto function comes with the led lights package.
The A3 configurator is saying that with the Led head lights package you get led tail lights , the led turning signal thing, light-rain sensor , all weather lights and automatic high beam function . Also in mmi you can change the settings for that function.
So i think its something else.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I recently purchases a 2017 S3 Premium+ with the LED lights that come standard on it. Can't figure out High-Beam assistant. I see its standard on the Prestige. I guess I don't have it?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audis3Nano
I recently purchases a 2017 S3 Premium+ with the LED lights that come standard on it. Can't figure out High-Beam assistant. I see its standard on the Prestige. I guess I don't have it?
I too have a '17 S3 PP and not sure about High Beam Assistant. I do know that when cornering the headlights automatically extend the lighting out to the side (using reflector beam) and illuminates a much broader area. This is a very cool feature that I wish I had on earlier cars. I don't know for sure if this is the same as High Beam Assistant, I'm inclined to say probably not.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
I too have a '17 S3 PP and not sure about High Beam Assistant. I do know that when cornering the headlights automatically extend the lighting out to the side (using reflector beam) and illuminates a much broader area. This is a very cool feature that I wish I had on earlier cars. I don't know for sure if this is the same as High Beam Assistant, I'm inclined to say probably not.
I had my lights on AUTO but the fog lights were on, read the manual today said the fog lights need to be off for high beam assist to work and the stalk must be pushed forward. So tonight on way home from work I'm going to try to fumble with that, but have a feeling I don't have it. But sales guy said I did? LOL
Old 08-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ygra
Hello to all. I'm a happy owner of an audi A3 Sedan. Have it now for 5 days and think its great. Though i have a little problem. I specked the led lights, they r great on the road, but i can not activate the automatic function of the high beam assist . I followed the manual instructions, turned lights switch on auto and pressed the high beam once. nothing happens. I checked in the mmi and the auto lights function is on medium speed. its ok in there.
Any help? what i am doing wrong? Maybe a problem with the light sensor ?
You may not have High Beam Assistant. I have an A3 premium and this option shows up in MMI. Report this issue to AoA. I have had my car in twice for service and have been given "The MMI software is all the same so it sometimes has options that you dont have"

If you havent notices, you probably are missing the option to adjust the automatic headlight on activation - this is actually what you are configuring.

I got entierly too frustrated with the dealer, I emailed Jamie Dennis at AoA, one of the corporate support team members is calling me tomorrow PM.

Are you having any other issues with the MMI? Is your * button not working, and are you missing the Subwoofer volume in the sound settings? Your probably running the same firmware as myself. Definitely reach out to Audi and put some pressure for a fix.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks all for the info... lots of info. I think I won’t mess around with this, the lights are fine just the way they are!
Old 01-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know for certain that for the US Market MY 2017 & 2018 S3, the high beam assist was only available on Prestige trim (I'm guessing that was also true for the A3). The 2017 & 2018 S3 Premium Plus and Prestige trim both had LED headlights but only the Prestige had high beam assist.

I placed an order in March 2017 for a MY 2017 S3 Prestige (USA model). The dealer said that even though high beam assist was listed as an option the factory said it was not yet available so I got a credit on the purchase price for no high beam assist. While my order was being processed, Audi stopped accepting orders for MY 2017 and moved my order to MY 2018. The high beam assist was now available and the dealer honored the original purchase price so I got high beam assist for no additional charge. Another nice no cost upgrade was a 7 speed DSG compared to the 6 speed in the 2017.

If you have the feature you must first enable it in the MMI (Vehicle > Vehicle Settings > Exterior Lighting). For it to operate, the lights must be set to Auto (low beams must be on with no fog lights) and then you push the stalk for high beams. The virtual cockpit shows "AUTO" with the high beam indicator light when high beam assist is active. The feature works quite well and I have never experienced a malfunction.