Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

How do I turn the Mirror upside down ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I turn the Mirror upside down ?

Hello guys,

My Audi A3 S-Line (3-door) 8V , year 2016, has the inside mirror upside down. This has affected also the A4.

What's the easiest way to, I guess disassemble the back, and turn it upside down like it should be.

The reason the "wider" part of the mirror usually points down, is a logic one, and it serves to see the bikers coming from behind who are about to disappear in the blind spot.
The way the mirrror is now, looking for the bikers only yields the black of the inside roof of the car.

Some "designer" obviously has never ever driven a car, and that's why they put it upside down I gather.

Any ideas ?

cheers
Old 01-10-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

upside down inside mirror?

what?! I honestly have no idea what that means?

when you look in your rear view mirror the image is upside down?

please elaborate or send pics
Old 01-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markN1689
upside down inside mirror?

what?! I honestly have no idea what that means?

when you look in your rear view mirror the image is upside down?

please elaborate or send pics

Well, this is what a normal car internal mirror should look like. You can see that the bottom side of the mirror is LONGER. This has a specific reason, and it helps you to spot vehicles coming from the corners of the rear view window.

However, in my Audi A3 8V (which is now in the garage 2 block away, that's why I attached some other image, I believe belongs to an A1), the longer side of the mirror is on top. this is absolutely WRONG. Question is, is there an easy way to turn it upside down ? rotating it won't work, as the angle does not fit.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe the top is just wider than normal ....and the bottom is normal size.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am basically asking if anyone here knows how to "snap the thing out" without breaking it. The back of the mirror is plastic, and looks like a structure, so there must be a way to snap it open somehow.

My mirror has the auto-dimming feature, so I have to be careful the cables don't snap I guess.

Maybe the dudes at CarGlass here in Berlin may know, I will stop by tomorrow and see if they can help, problem is that the car is too new, they may not know it yet.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s3burgh
Maybe the top is just wider than normal ....and the bottom is normal size.

hmmm, try it, all you end up looking at are the inside corners of your roof.
It is clearly designed wrong.
That I can see it affects A1, A3, A4, R8, and unknown others, a new Lexus too.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Let me explain what I see:
Old 01-10-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

It may be YOUR opinion that this is not correct because you desire something different. That does not make the design WRONG. Given the engineering resources at Audi's disposal I doubt very much that it is actually wrong.

In my wife's A3, we have absolutely no issues with the mirror and seeing around the car. Maybe you need to re-think how all 3 of your mirrors are adjusted???
Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 19hole
It may be YOUR opinion that this is not correct because you desire something different. That does not make the design WRONG. Given the engineering resources at Audi's disposal I doubt very much that it is actually wrong.

In my wife's A3, we have absolutely no issues with the mirror and seeing around the car. Maybe you need to re-think how all 3 of your mirrors are adjusted???
Well, I have been driving since I am 11. That is correct, 41 years behind the wheel, countless (countless) vehicles. I even owned the previous model A3 8P , and they were ALL CORRECT. Only this *new generation* has them upside down.

Google Images: internal rear view mirror

and tell me how many you see are like the new Audi (i.e. upside down)
For Pete's sake, look at my diagram, if you can't see something wrong with that, then you haven't looked long enough.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

oh lol i get it now. i don't think my s3 mirror is like that- its more oval shaped

Quick Reply: How do I turn the Mirror upside down ?