Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

If you have an iPhone and can't get Siri to work, write AoA

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hamz01
Yes, Audi's integration with iPhone is unacceptably poor for a car of this caliber. However, I can use Siri with the MMI. I have to press and hold the home button on my iPhone, and then I hear the Siri beep over the car's speakers, and then I say a command and it executes it. If you're talking about calling up Siri without touching the phone, yeah, can't do it. The $130 Pioneer head unit I put in my girlfriend's Cobalt works flawlessly with her iPhone whether it's plugged into the unit via USB or wireless via Bluetooth. I'm assuming it works just as well with Google's Android Auto.
Ok, so you are the FIRST person, of literally dozens, that can make Siri work over Bluetooth. I've tried the home button, the steering wheel button, nothing works. If bluetooth is running, I have to disconnect for the microphone on the phone to work OR hold the home button and then I have to press the little bluetooth icon at the very bottom of the phone (to the right) and select 'Dock Connector' and then it lets me do calls over Bluetooth and lets the Phone Microphone work for Siri/Texting, etc. Close, but not quite.

Thanks for sharing Hamz.

What phone and iOS are you running? Do you have Navigation on your MMI?
Old 01-18-2015, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW, AOA got back to me already.

They said a bunch of 'valuable family member of Audi' and stuff (which I DO appreciate) and told me MMI is not presently compatible with Siri and then said this:

'Please maintain contact with your Audi dealer if an update becomes available for this functionality, your dealership will be provided with the details.'

Hopeful.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Ok, so you are the FIRST person, of literally dozens, that can make Siri work over Bluetooth. I've tried the home button, the steering wheel button, nothing works. If bluetooth is running, I have to disconnect for the microphone on the phone to work OR hold the home button and then I have to press the little bluetooth icon at the very bottom of the phone (to the right) and select 'Dock Connector' and then it lets me do calls over Bluetooth and lets the Phone Microphone work for Siri/Texting, etc. Close, but not quite.

Thanks for sharing Hamz.

What phone and iOS are you running? Do you have Navigation on your MMI?
I just tried out Siri via Bluetooth and via wired AMI cable (red grommet with Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapter and 3rd party extension cord). When plugged in via the cable, the iPhone is still connected to the car via Bluetooth as well, but is deactivated by the MMI for music playback. Siri is 100% functional with both methods and all audio is output through the sound system.

My car does not have nav and does not have B&O. I'm running an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I just tried out Siri via Bluetooth and via wired AMI cable (red grommet with Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapter and 3rd party extension cord). When plugged in via the cable, the iPhone is still connected to the car via Bluetooth as well, but is deactivated by the MMI for music playback. Siri is 100% functional with both methods and all audio is output through the sound system.

My car does not have nav and does not have B&O. I'm running an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1.
My Car:

NAV
no B&O
iPhone 5s
Same AMI cable

Yep, same results, except of-course no Siri or any Audio Input...

Non-Nav seems to work, saw that in another forum too.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad I don't have an iPhone
Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Glad I don't have an iPhone
Great
Old 01-20-2015, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So I found a work-around:

I'll post this as a separate too:

- Hold the home button down to activate Siri
- Press the very small Bluetooth icon at the very bottom of the iPhone Screen (to the bottom right to be exact) and select 'Dock Connector'

Once you've done this it lets you do calls (only) over MMI Bluetooth AND lets the iPhone Microphone work for Siri/Texting, etc. So the MMI/Car Microphone still doesn't work, but the Phone mic is sensitive enough to receive Siri commands and do speech to text.

Meh, I know, but it's something.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I found a work-around:

I'll post this as a separate too:

- Hold the home button down to activate Siri
- Press the very small Bluetooth icon at the very bottom of the iPhone Screen (to the bottom right to be exact) and select 'Dock Connector'

Once you've done this it lets you do calls (only) over MMI Bluetooth AND lets the iPhone Microphone work for Siri/Texting, etc. So the MMI/Car Microphone still doesn't work, but the Phone mic is sensitive enough to receive Siri commands and do speech to text.

Meh, I know, but it's something.
This is so bizarre. Why does mine work and no one else's does?
Old 01-20-2015, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This is so bizarre. Why does mine work and no one else's does?
You have non-NAV. That is my guess. I noticed another person from a different forum, same thing, they don't have NAV.

ALSO, my 2014 Q7 doesn't have NAV and Siri works… the only pattern I've seen so far.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You have non-NAV. That is my guess. I noticed another person from a different forum, same thing, they don't have NAV.

ALSO, my 2014 Q7 doesn't have NAV and Siri works… the only pattern I've seen so far.
Even bizarrer!

Quick Reply: If you have an iPhone and can't get Siri to work, write AoA