Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

MMI Screen - Going into night mode too early in the day

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Screen - Going into night mode too early in the day

Anyone else noticing this?

At first I thought it was isolated to Android Auto and Google Maps, but it appears to be the entire MMI system as driven by the auto-headlights light sensor.

I've tested this by turning the headlights off (instead of Auto) and the day-time brightness level comes on for the MMI screen. So those two items appear linked.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Yup. It is linked. Same in all other Audis. When the headlights go on, the MMI goes into night mode. Headlights off. Night mode off.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I noticed this as well on my A4; on Auto the whole system goes to night mode way too early in the day. Any idea as to why?
Old 01-01-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by savi01
I noticed this as well on my A4; on Auto the whole system goes to night mode way too early in the day. Any idea as to why?
Seems like a calibration issue. The thing is, I don't mind the headlights coming on a bit earlier - just means better visibility for myself and of my car to other drivers.

The fundamental problem is tieing the screen brightness to the same light sensor as the headlights. There needs to be independent adjustment of each. There may very well be via the hidden maintenance menu system.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

One work around is to use Voice Command and speak "Day Map" or "Night Map". It will then manually override the auto nav screen auto setting. Not sure if speaking "Auto Map" will work though. I prefer leaving the nav screen in day mode all the time - I find the night mode is hard for me to read.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
One work around is to use Voice Command and speak "Day Map" or "Night Map". It will then manually override the auto nav screen auto setting. Not sure if speaking "Auto Map" will work though. I prefer leaving the nav screen in day mode all the time - I find the night mode is hard for me to read.
So an update on this for those interested...

There is the option in the S3 vehicle settings menu to program the Multi-Function asterisk button on the steering wheel to toggle between day/night map mode. However, this does not work with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay - only the built-in Audi navigation system. Personally I leave this button programmed for Drive Select.

However, I came across this article for Android Auto which lists the steps for forcing Day/Night mode manually and also for specifying whether the automatic toggle is driven by the car or the phone.

For car control - as discussed above - it is the light sensor the auto-headlights use. For phone control, it's still a bit unclear - will need to experiment.

Here's the menu anyway as described in the article:

Old 07-15-2017, 12:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you ever find the answer to this? currently having the same problem thanks!
Old 07-15-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I set my MMI to stay in Day mode as I like it brighter, even if it's at night. Night mode is just too dark IMO.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Day/Night navigation screen brightness

I have a 2017 Q7 Prestige Model. When it rains during daylight hours, the local laws require headlights to be on. My nav screen goes to night time setting. There doesn't seem to be any way to bring the screen back to day time setting. I've owned many Japanese luxury vehicles in the past & there always is a button available to accomplish this.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You can go into your Driver Settings in MMI and change the lowbeam lights to activate at a later time in the day (when headlight switch is in Auto), as well.

Quick Reply: MMI Screen - Going into night mode too early in the day