Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New Misano Red S3 Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Misano Red S3 Prestige

Hey guys just got my new S3. It's my second car and my first Audi. Had a 2000 Honda Accord Coupe Ex-V6 so this is a nice little upgrade. Since we are in the middle of winter here in Ohio, I didn't really want to run on the summer rubber. So I ordered a winter tire and wheel set up from tire rack and dropped it off at the dealer who installed them on to my S3 prior to delivery. So I was already set to go on Blizzaks when I pulled away from the dealership. I'm still in the break-in period of I'm already smitten with this car. Love it!. I initially had talked to my guy at the dealership about not having the front license plate holder. The car they found from me has it. So when they get another S3 come in without they have offered to swap it out for me. Pictures have the winter setup.
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2015, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats, man!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The wheels look great - sharp car. Good luck
Old 01-19-2015, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I like your Winter wheels!

I thought the front license plate holder can just be removed, others on the forums have done it.

Last edited by drober30; 01-19-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Looks great! Can you say more about your winter wheels/tires - What size and offset are the wheels? What model are the wheels? What tires, including the size. It seems that the best fit for 18" tires are 225/40/18, but it seems like this is a bit of an odd size, and there are not a lot of performance winter tires in this size.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fairfax 4.0T
Looks great! Can you say more about your winter wheels/tires - What size and offset are the wheels? What model are the wheels? What tires, including the size. It seems that the best fit for 18" tires are 225/40/18, but it seems like this is a bit of an odd size, and there are not a lot of performance winter tires in this size.
My car was optioned with the standard 18s. I didn't up for the performance package. So the winter setup for less plow, the audi/tirerack recommended set up is 17x7.5 wheel, 45mm offset, with 225/50R17 tires. The ones I have on my car are the Sport Edition SE-16 Silver Painted Rims with Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 tires in the 225/50R17 size. The odometer offset with this package is minimal. I checked with both my guy at the dealership and tirerack as well. Granted I could have gone with a more performance designed winter tire, but the Blizzaks seemed to fit my need. Let me know if you'd like any other info.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mbislam
Congrats, man!
Thanks!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drober30

I thought the front license plate holder can just be removed, others on the forums have done it.
On most of the models, there is basically a spring loaded plate that pushes up to fill in the space that the license plate holder takes up. The one on the S3 does not have this spring loaded attribute so its integrated into the grill. One of the mechanics at the dealership was looking at it. Its one of the cost saving things Audi did for this car just like the omission of Homelink and memory seats. Since it was being shipped to Ohio (state still requires front license plate) from Germany it came pre-installed with it. If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me. If I can get rid of the hideous front plate I'll do it in a heart beat.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drober30

I've been doing some research and I think you're correct. There are 2 screws and 2 clips and the plate should come off. I'm at work right now but I'll check on this and report back if I can get it removed. Thanks for the insight.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Storm982
I've been doing some research and I think you're correct. There are 2 screws and 2 clips and the plate should come off. I'm at work right now but I'll check on this and report back if I can get it removed. Thanks for the insight.
Storm982; where in Ohio are you located? I'm near Cbus and got my S3 at Byers near the airport. Ordered mine WITHOUT the front plate holder. Hate those things. Drove my last car, 2006 Civic Si, without a front plate for 8 years. Never cited/stopped. Your car looks great BTW! Awesome and congrats. I got a winter wheel/tire package from Tire Rack was well but went with an 18 inch set. I did get my S3 with the 19 inch performance package. These wheels/tires are resting comfortably in the basement right now. Can't wait for spring to get her so I can put them back on!

As a thought, after you remove your front plate and holder, keep the plate inside the car to put up on the dash board if you happen to park downtown in any major Ohio city or town. Good luck on getting the holder off.

Quick Reply: New Misano Red S3 Prestige