Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Observations: S3 vs. M235i

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Observations: S3 vs. M235i

I've finally had the chance to drive an S3, a week after taking an M235i out for a test drive, and thought I'd share my thoughts on the two vehicles. I'm sure many of my comments are consistent with the experiences of other AW members. For reference the S3 was in Dynamic mode, and the M235i was in Sport+ mode.

Steering Feel:
The S3 steering was quick enough and firm enough, but doesn't feel as good as either the M235i, or my S4 for that matter. The S3 felt vague and disconnected from the road by comparison, but does go where it's pointed by the driver. The steering of the M235i was much firmer and was able to communicate the road to the driver. The M-Sport steering wheel is the best I've wrapped my hands around to date.

Engine/Sound:
I was greatly impressed by the push offered by the S3's engine. For a 2.0 liter, cylinder engine, the performance was stunning and you could really feel it push you back in the seat. I did notice that it drops off above 5k, where the BMW will hold power above 6k. While the engine sounded pretty good in the S3, it did sound somewhat artificial. The sound and power of the M235i is highly addictive. The N55 is a beast of an engine.

Transmission:
The S-Tronic is great and offers really fast shifts, but can't compare to the MT6 from the BMW in terms of driver involvement and control. There were times when even though I was in Dynamic mode, the transmission would decide to shift when I wanted to hold a specific gear. I probably needed the shifter to be in Manual mode, but still found it annoying. With the BMW, there is no doubt who is in control of the gear selection, while the shift action is smooth and precise. I'd gladly give up 0.2 seconds 0-60 for the manual transmission of the M235i.

Seats/Interior:
I'll be honest and say that I used to absolutely hate BMW interiors in almost every way, except for their sport seats. The two interiors are competitive with one another in terms of materials and overall quality. I prefer the M235i seats to the S3, but with the iDrive display could retract into the dash.

Exterior/Design:
I would summarize the design of the S3 as Clean/Technical, with plenty of sharp edges and crisp detailing. Typical Audi design which will age well. The M235i overall softer, more rounded, while looking more aggressive - especially from the front. The back of the S3 much better than the M235i, which looks rather plain by comparison.

Final Comments:
Don't take my above comments to mean that I don't like the S3. In a world where I had to have AWD, 4 doors, and share the car with the wife, the S3 would be the logical decision. The guy that test drove the S3 before I did works in the business side of one of the major automotive magazines, and said the S3 just missed making their 10 Best list. This doesn't surprise me at all, neither does the fact that the M235i made the cut.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree on steering, bmw always seems to nail this one (and the seats)

The "addictive" engine sound is a partial fake: See Active Sound BMW BUT, I agree, I am all about displacement over any other gimmick, but the 2.0 really does the trick, as much as I hate paying 50k for a 4 cyl.

Tranny: unless you are in total manual mode, this is a poor test. MT6 versus a DSG is just not comparable. I desperately wanted a manual in my S3 for the first week, it was killing me. 5k into the car now, and I don't want to go back… the speed of shifting is just a huge improvement over my old, slow foot-hand combo. Also, in 'D' or 'S', the S3 was in 'learning' mode until the car is broken in. You shoulda learned the paddle shifters, it's awesome.

Seats in the m235 were PERFECT (IMO)

Overall, a good, fair comparo thanks!!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great comparison! Useful to anybody on the fence.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It was between the M235 and the S3 for me. Dealer took me out on an extensive test drive in a BMW M235i and we had a great time!! The auto tranny blasted through gears like a dual clutch. Engine note was addictive (The 235 does pump fake sound through the stereo speakers though). Power right up until redline. Felt like 350+ HP.

Even though the BMW seems slightly faster, I preferred the S3's list of features over the BMW.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you, I enjoyed reading your review. In the mid 1970's I owned a BMW 2002 and loved it. Although I purchased an S3, I am interested in the BMW M235i as well.

I have been an Audi driver for the last 15 years and that was a big part of the decision. Also the practicality of four doors and standard quattro.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the comments and feedback. I thought that there would be a fair amount of cross shopping between the two cars, which is why I decided to post. This was also my first time really driving a BMW - the i3 from CES doesn't count. With 16 years of Audi ownership behind me I finally decided to check out what the guys from Munich had to offer.

With the offer that's available for the M235i with European Delivery, I can get it for about the same if not less than a comparably equipped S3 with my supplier discount and Audi loyalty. The M235i would never see winters, so AWD isn't required and would take away the manual transmission. Besides, we have a Q5 and Cherokee Trailhawk available for winter duty.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with your observation and like many I took the logical step and got into S3 not once but twice! To me M235i is better on track and more fun! But to live with everyday and enjoy S3 is superb!

+ M235i looks hideous both inside & outside! (to me)

Last edited by Sthree21; 12-29-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ Similar to me, but I have 30 years of Audi experience, even the ugly 'surge' years (my family loved Audi) and the M235i was pretty close, but in the end, my loyalty swayed me.

I like the evaluation of M253i for track, S3 for everything else. Right on.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Test drove both cars in the last few months. M235i is a sweet driving car - may be the best bmw I have driven in a while. But good lord it's ugly. The overall shape and rear end styling are definitely worst in class. BMW must have hired the guy who made the smart car after Bangle left. Sorry but for me a car is like a woman - I need looks and personality. The M235 has a great personality...you know what that means. 😄. The motoring press will give it rave reviews because they don't have to look at it. Maybe this is just my opinion though...

S3 is a very nice car. Again I wish it looked a little better (both of these cars are a little too short in length and a little too tall if you ask me) but it is at least decent.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have to agree with previous posters. When I go out to my garage or approach my car in a parking lot, I want to say, "That's a great looking car!" The BMW just doesn't do it for me, where the S3 does. Also, I really prefer a nice looking 4-door over a 2-door. Good example is the new M3 over the M4, IMO.

Quick Reply: Observations: S3 vs. M235i