Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Painting Calipers Red?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Calipers Red?

Should I do it myself with a kit or do you think there will be an advantage by finding a paint shop to do it where they will apply a clear coat or use a special/professional paint?
Old 05-01-2015, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do it yourself. Be sure to buy high temperature caliper paint. Otherwise, the paint will brun off/fade.

For me, painting standard calipers a bright red color is something that people with riced-out coffee-can exhaust Honda Civic owners do. But, if it's something you like, go for it.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drober30; very easy to do yourself. Company called G2 makes a nice kit with a hardener added for the paint to make it last. Have to have the car jacked up with access to all 4 calipers at the same time. Calipers have to be super clean first as well. G2 kit comes with brake cleaning spray but recommend you get another can from AutoZone, etc. I used to do this on my '06 Civic Si. Added to the car I thought. Paint lasted quite well BUT you will still get scrapes and chips over a period of time. The paint has to be used all at once because of the hardener. I repainted mine every 2 years or so in the spring when I switched my winter wheels/tires for the summers. Kit is about $35.

Having said that, I definitely will not be doing that with my S3. The black calipers look great to me with the 19 inch wheels. My car is black and although I'm not blacking out any chrome trim, I like the subdued look. I see some S3s come with red calipers straight from the factory. That option was not made available to me. I'm good with it. If you choose to paint yours, the G2 kit is available from Tire Rack as well as other sources. Other colors besides red of course.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

My wife is picking up her Mythos black S3 next week. Sold the 2008 A4. Will join my Panther Black RS5 in the garage...
Old 05-01-2015, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info!

I would only consider painting my calipers red because the S3 does come from the factory with red calipers. I know here in the US only the 2015 Daytona Launch Edition had them but with the 2016s you can tick that option.

Fixeroh, I think my car is a little monotone (its also black). I have had lots of black cars but with as dark as the 19's are, I think the red would add a little pop.

Plus most of the front caliper remains black with the S3 logo, only the outer portion is red.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drober30
Thanks for the info!

Fixeroh, I think my car is a little monotone (its also black). I have had lots of black cars but with as dark as the 19's are, I think the red would add a little pop.

Plus most of the front caliper remains black with the S3 logo, only the outer portion is red.
You make a very valid point drober30. And I would possibly consider doing it to my Audi if I didn't know that you have to touch up the paint every once in a while. Rocks, winter road grime, etc, does scar up the aftermarket paint at some point. You may find yourself redoing the work every 2 years or so as well. But red definitely would good through the dark Audi rims. No question there.