Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Parts to retrofit non-sport A3 to sport suspension A3

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts to retrofit non-sport A3 to sport suspension A3

I have a non-sport A3 and want to know how to convert that to a sport suspension A3. I drove a sport suspension A3 for a few days and it is perfect. I'm not clear what the point is of a non-sport suspension A3. I rides exactly the same except on corners the sport suspension A3 is flat while the non-sport rolls a bit. I've read all the aftermarket threads on suspension but I don't want the car lower and I don't want anything I haven't test driven. So, the factory sport suspension is really my desire - OEM or aftermarket. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My suggestion would be to go aftermarket...

... If you have a good German Car Tuning service in your city, I would start there. I use Eurocode in LA and they have good integrated solutions based on your desire and budget. Sounds to me like a new set of coilovers and perhaps additional suspension bits will get you the desired outcome. Then a brake upgrade...

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 01-31-2017, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

The easiest would be to take the VIN from a sport suspension car, go to your local Audi parts department and find out what the part numbers are. I believe the factory sport suspension gives a 15mm drop.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can see sport and non-sport part numbers for struts (using genuineaudiparts.com) but for springs there are like 40 different choices, left and right, depending on color stripes on spring. That's pretty confusing. I guess I can talk to a dealership for more info. Nonetheless it's looking expensive.

The sport suspension on the 2015 A3 didn't lower the ride height to the best of my observation and from what a salesperson told me. Apparently just 19in wheels, summer tires, spring rate, strut damping, and probably stabilizer bar.

Anyone know of an aftermarket kit that doesn't lower height and is very similar to sport suspension?
Old 02-01-2017, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
I can see sport and non-sport part numbers for struts (using genuineaudiparts.com) but for springs there are like 40 different choices, left and right, depending on color stripes on spring. That's pretty confusing. I guess I can talk to a dealership for more info. Nonetheless it's looking expensive.

The sport suspension on the 2015 A3 didn't lower the ride height to the best of my observation and from what a salesperson told me. Apparently just 19in wheels, summer tires, spring rate, strut damping, and probably stabilizer bar.

Anyone know of an aftermarket kit that doesn't lower height and is very similar to sport suspension?
It does drop it 15mm.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

subscribed. I wished I had picked mine up with a sports suspension too.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have an A3 sports suspension sitting in some boxes. I took it off for some Bilstein with H&R springs since I track the car, and the A3 sports suspension wasn't up to that task. And ashe said, it does drop it 15mm from stock. (S3 is 25mm, S3 mag-ride is 10mm I believe).
Old 02-04-2017, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default In this research being done... I am curious...

... doesn't the aftermarket upgrade cost less than the OEM retrofit? That has been my experience with Saabs and BMW's. All my Audi's were acquired with sport suspensions in place, so I haven't had to purchase OEM for any Audi. The performance benefits and lower cost would point me to aftermarket...
Is there a warrantee concern?

Eric
Old 02-04-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eric strauss
... doesn't the aftermarket upgrade cost less than the OEM retrofit? That has been my experience with Saabs and BMW's. All my Audi's were acquired with sport suspensions in place, so I haven't had to purchase OEM for any Audi. The performance benefits and lower cost would point me to aftermarket... Is there a warrantee concern? Eric
To me there isn't a warranty concern, just a concern of not knowing what I'm getting since I wouldn't be able to test drive the suspension first - once it's on I think it's staying on.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Go the aftermarket route. The stock suspension isn't that great of an "upgrade" if you want something serious. I'd suggest MSS sport springs as it would be the best if both world's without compromising the overall comfort. Plus you can adjust the height if needed.

Quick Reply: Parts to retrofit non-sport A3 to sport suspension A3