Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Should I buy winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 10:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy winter tires?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2016 S3 with handling package (so 19" with performance tires), and I live in Vancouver Canada. I do not ski and I just do city/highway driving. The weather gets cold to around 3-5 C degree (40 F) from late October till February/March. And of course lots of rain with almost no snow in my area (maybe few days a month we get icy roads).

I know winter tires are good not just for snow but also for rain and cold weathers (under 7C degree). So anyone think that I should buy winter tire package or not?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-16-2016, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes!!! You need to get either all seasons or winter tires. I would suggest all seasons based upon what you said, but you should *not* be running summer tires in temperatures below 40F.

See this tirerack article as well:

Tire Tech Information - Don't Drive Summer Performance Tires in Cold Temperatures
Old 10-16-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Also live in Vancouver and for your driving requirements. All season as a minimum and be aware that for some B.C. highways winter tyres are required. For ice conditions all seasons are almost no better than high performance tyres.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vancity88
Hi everyone,

I have a 2016 S3 with handling package (so 19" with performance tires), and I live in Vancouver Canada. I do not ski and I just do city/highway driving. The weather gets cold to around 3-5 C degree (40 F) from late October till February/March. And of course lots of rain with almost no snow in my area (maybe few days a month we get icy roads).

I know winter tires are good not just for snow but also for rain and cold weathers (under 7C degree). So anyone think that I should buy winter tire package or not?

Thanks in advance
Get it or this happens in Van

This happens if no all season
Old 10-16-2016, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

holy crap snuggles wtf happened
Old 10-16-2016, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Besides the much improved traction, you can go with smaller diameter wheels with taller sidewall tires to be more pothole damage resistant. Your Summer wheels will appreciate it as well.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snugglesftw
Get it or this happens in Van

This happens if no all season
omg !!! pothole ??? (( .. does ICBC covers it ?
Old 10-16-2016, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vancity88
omg !!! pothole ??? (( .. does ICBC covers it ?
It happened when it rained so much. I was going downhill from Victoria trying to turn right to marine which I lost traction and hit the median. 10k+ damages apparently. It's gonna out of service for a while. Thank God for insurance
Old 10-17-2016, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is getting a second set of 19" rims for winter tires a problem?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Civuck
Is getting a second set of 19" rims for winter tires a problem?
If getting rims you might be better off with 18" rims. That will give you some more rubber between the road and rim. Tires on the 18" will be a different aspect ratio so total diameter will be the same. Therefore there will not be a difference in shown speed on the speedometer.

On my car I keep the 19" on all year but run Continental DSW 06 tires. Living somewhat south our winters are usually not as severe. For the size needed if wanting all season, not wanting to pay for a second set of rims or have to change the tires twice a year, those can be a good compromise. Most posters who have them have been very happy with them. I am.

That said, true winter tires do have better traction in heavier snow and when the temperature really drops. You probably have both of those. The ideal is a separate set of winter tires and the 18" rims would give you somewhat better protection against potholes. Cost of a rim/tire replacement is not inexpensive. I have been there more than once.

If you decide to go the rim/winter tire route Audi offers them as do companies like Tirerack.com. There may be Canadian alternates to Tirerack. I just mentioned them because there is hardly any after market rim and tire available in North America that they do not sell. They will ship to an installer. I am not trying to do a commercial for them, but only suggesting them as one choice that will probably have what you are looking for and that will be less expensive than Audi.

Quick Reply: Should I buy winter tires?