Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Should I buy winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobMar46
If getting rims you might be better off with 18" rims. That will give you some more rubber between the road and rim. Tires on the 18" will be a different aspect ratio so total diameter will be the same. Therefore there will not be a difference in shown speed on the speedometer.

On my car I keep the 19" on all year but run Continental DSW 06 tires. Living somewhat south our winters are usually not as severe. For the size needed if wanting all season, not wanting to pay for a second set of rims or have to change the tires twice a year, those can be a good compromise. Most posters who have them have been very happy with them. I am.

That said, true winter tires do have better traction in heavier snow and when the temperature really drops. You probably have both of those. The ideal is a separate set of winter tires and the 18" rims would give you somewhat better protection against potholes. Cost of a rim/tire replacement is not inexpensive. I have been there more than once.

If you decide to go the rim/winter tire route Audi offers them as do companies like Tirerack.com. There may be Canadian alternates to Tirerack. I just mentioned them because there is hardly any after market rim and tire available in North America that they do not sell. They will ship to an installer. I am not trying to do a commercial for them, but only suggesting them as one choice that will probably have what you are looking for and that will be less expensive than Audi.
Very good points here. I'm now looking for 18" packages and they are not cheap as we need a new set of rims. Audi dealerships in Vancouver sell the 18" packages for $2700 all-in but with lower end continental tires which for winter tires I prefer Pirelli and Micheline. And the wheels are super ugly !!!

The lowest price I could find for a descent after market wheel which somewhat looks good on S3 and either a performance Pirelli or Micheline AP4 winter tires, with mounting/balancing/shipping/taxes is around $1900 Canadian. I could choose a cheaper tire but as we don't get snow, mostly rain and cold weather, I want a tire with good handling in rain and dry conditions and also minimal road noise.

Now I'm looking to find a used 18" wheels on Craigslist and get the tires from Costco which hopefully can save me around $200-300.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vancity88
Very good points here. I'm now looking for 18" packages and they are not cheap as we need a new set of rims. Audi dealerships in Vancouver sell the 18" packages for $2700 all-in but with lower end continental tires which for winter tires I prefer Pirelli and Micheline. And the wheels are super ugly !!!

The lowest price I could find for a descent after market wheel which somewhat looks good on S3 and either a performance Pirelli or Micheline AP4 winter tires, with mounting/balancing/shipping/taxes is around $1900 Canadian. I could choose a cheaper tire but as we don't get snow, mostly rain and cold weather, I want a tire with good handling in rain and dry conditions and also minimal road noise.

Now I'm looking to find a used 18" wheels on Craigslist and get the tires from Costco which hopefully can save me around $200-300.
I bought Audi used and have only had it for one winter. We did not have any really nasty weather last winter. I have had Pirelli and Michelin tires on other cars. I did not like the former for road noise. On the latter I liked durability and low road noise, but do not feel they are appropriate for a performance car. I have really been happy with the Continental DSW 06 tires. While they do not offer as much grip as the OEM summer tires, they offer plenty of grip for the type of driving that most people do. In your climate they would offer plenty of winter grip also.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

If getting rims you might be better off with 18" rims. That will give you some more rubber between the road and rim. Tires on the 18" will be a different aspect ratio so total diameter will be the same. Therefore there will not be a difference in shown speed on the speedometer.
Thanks for the follow-up - I will likely move ahead with the 18" rims with winter tires... just need to take delivery of the car now.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Civuck
Thanks for the follow-up - I will likely move ahead with the 18" rims with winter tires... just need to take delivery of the car now.
You should consider 17" rims as well.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi dealership sell 225/40 R18 for winter tires, but my local tire shop says they are too small and not good and I should get 245/40 R18. On tirerack and other online tire shops websites they all suggest 225/40 R18 for me. What should I do?

Also I'm stuck with Micheline Alpina PA4 or Pirelli Sottenza 3, almost at the same price point but probably better rebate on the Pirelli ones.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi dealership sell 225/40 R18 for winter tires, but my local tire shop says they are too small and not good and I should get 245/40 R18. On tirerack and other online tire shops websites they all suggest 225/40 R18 for me. What should I do?

Also I'm stuck with Micheline Alpina PA4 or Pirelli Sottenza 3, almost at the same price point but probably better rebate on the Pirelli ones.
The first number is the width of the tread. Your existing 19" tires are 235 width. 225 is width of the 18" OEM all weather. While TireRack does show 225 40R 18 as main choice for your car they do show some brands making a 235 40R 18. 245 might be OK from a clearance standpoint in the wheel wells but I would want to make sure about that before considering.

While I suggested the idea of 18" rims as offering the best protection from pot holes, if pot holes are not an issue in your area staying with 19" could still be an option. For that matter you could just get a set of 235 35R 19 tires and have them changed as needed. You could have a bunch of mounting and balancing done before you got to break even on the extra rims.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have S3 with performance package 19" rims and live in PA, during the winter months
I switch to 18" rims with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32. We get a few snow storms but
the main reason for the winter tires is for freqeunt temps < 40 degrees. This setup has worked great for me, plus saves winter wear and tear on 19" rims and mileage off stock 19" Continental summer tires
Old 10-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The first number is the width of the tread. Your existing 19" tires are 235 width. 225 is width of the 18" OEM all weather. While TireRack does show 225 40R 18 as main choice for your car they do show some brands making a 235 40R 18. 245 might be OK from a clearance standpoint in the wheel wells but I would want to make sure about that before considering.

While I suggested the idea of 18" rims as offering the best protection from pot holes, if pot holes are not an issue in your area staying with 19" could still be an option. For that matter you could just get a set of 235 35R 19 tires and have them changed as needed. You could have a bunch of mounting and balancing done before you got to break even on the extra rims.
Yeah I like that but the pricing would be high because there aren't much 19" winter tires in the market. I checked the pricings and if I purchase a new set of 18" wheels and winter tires it would be cheaper and my OEM wheels will be safe from the salts on the road.

I'll probably just buy a set of wheels and give them to Costco to install Michellin Alpina PA4 winters for me.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cjacS3
I have S3 with performance package 19" rims and live in PA, during the winter months
I switch to 18" rims with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32. We get a few snow storms but
the main reason for the winter tires is for freqeunt temps < 40 degrees. This setup has worked great for me, plus saves winter wear and tear on 19" rims and mileage off stock 19" Continental summer tires
How these tires perform in dry or rainy condition ? How about their noise ? I had Pirelli before and they were good but way too noisy. Thats why Im leaning towards Michellin now cuz they perform really good in dry and rainy weathers + very minima noise.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

How these tires perform in dry or rainy condition ? How about their noise ? I had Pirelli before and they were good but way too noisy. Thats why Im leaning towards Michellin now cuz they perform really good in dry and rainy weathers + very minima noise.
Tire rack has some pretty complete test results and comparisons. I suggest taking a look. Tire Test Results : Does the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Have What It Takes to Be a Top Performer? compares three all season 19", Tire Test Results : Testing Performance Winter / Snow Tires: Which Have the Right Balance of Performance? comparison test for 4 winter tires. There are links to get to their test report also.

Quick Reply: Should I buy winter tires?