Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Test Driving Today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Driving Today!

Hey guys, finally got into the dealership last week to check out an S3, been on this forum ever since! I spent over an hour in the car just taking it all in, but now today (in 3 hours to be exact) I have a test drive scheduled. Curious if anyone has any tips or certain aspects about the car to check out or focus on specifically?

Also, what packages would you guys deem necessary? And which would you be able to pass up if doing it all over again?

Looking forward to the feedback, good to be here, and can't wait to learn even more about this fantastic car.

Also, thanks RyanS3 for the awesome thread about your Sepang Blue S3, took lots of notes down on things that look killer!

-Wags
Old 06-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Recommend checking a couple things.

Make sure you are comfortable with the amount of turbo lag at various RPM. I think above 2k it's barely noticeable but worth doing pulls from stop, 1.5, 2, and 3k.

In particular make sure you are ok with the slight hesitation from full stop to WOT.

Ask to make sure your test vehicle had performance package to test mag ride and see how you like the range in suspension settings.

If you are interested in ACC definitely check that out as well.

For sound I love the B&O upgrade but haven't heard stock so worth comparing.

Probably much more I'm missing but really it's all secondary to how you feel about the accelleration, powerband, turbo lag etc.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i think the b&o is worth it. and if youre modding the suspension i would prob skip the mag ride. and if you're getting 2015 convenient pkg is also good. the interior led lighting and the super sport seats makes the interior more up class imo. goodluck
Old 06-29-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

+1 on the B&O system.
And as mentioned unless you are certain that you'll upgrade the suspension get the 19-in performance package. For $1,500 you cannot get a better package anywhere (19-inch wheels/tires and adjustable mag ride suspension).
Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Drove one today with the 18" wheels and honestly loved it. That puts me on the fence with the 19" performance package. Also because I will be in central PA for most of the next two years, so unless the summer tires can handle the snow...I'd have to get a winter set. I know a lot of people do that, but there are some logistical things that would make that a little tough (no garage at the moment). I would probably put on some new springs later down the line and 19" wheels if I didn't get the 19" package now. I would probably just drive the OEM 18" wheels, then when I need to replace tires put on winter rubber and buy a summer set.

Anyway, so far I am looking at a 2015 S3 Monsoon Grey w/ Black/magma int with:

LED Lighting package
MMI Nav Pack
Driver Assistance Pack (want the rear-view+sensors)
Body color mirrors

Maybe-Convenience Pack (Is it worth it just for the power folding mirrors?)
Maybe-B&O if dealer can't locate one without it

Thanks for the input guys,

Wags
Old 06-29-2015, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I don’t have an S3 but have had dozens of cars (including Porsches, M-B’s, Audi’s and American pigs) over my 73 years. My “old school” take is that if it is your only car, will not be garaged, has to drive in snow and has to drive in the Northeast’s potholed roads each spring, the higher sidewalls of the OEM 18” tires will do you and the car a favor. Good luck whatever you do.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Exactly my line of thinking. Thanks for the input. I'll move on to bigger and better wheels when I have the means to do so and protect them
Old 06-30-2015, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WAGS3
Hey guys, finally got into the dealership last week to check out an S3, been on this forum ever since! I spent over an hour in the car just taking it all in, but now today (in 3 hours to be exact) I have a test drive scheduled. Curious if anyone has any tips or certain aspects about the car to check out or focus on specifically?

Also, what packages would you guys deem necessary? And which would you be able to pass up if doing it all over again?

Looking forward to the feedback, good to be here, and can't wait to learn even more about this fantastic car.

Also, thanks RyanS3 for the awesome thread about your Sepang Blue S3, took lots of notes down on things that look killer!

-Wags
I got the Prestige trim and performance package, leaving out the advanced tech package. No regrets. If you get a '16, make sure you throw n the homelink option.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Convenience Pack worth every penny, in fact i think it is most important to me comparing to other options because of the auto dim rear and left mirror (auto fold is not as useful). We have so many drivers here like to have their high beams on at all times, and comes in handy.

Quick Reply: Test Driving Today!