Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Upgraded your sound system yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and I was thinking something like this but not upgrade the front speakers...would I have to because of the wattage on the stock front speakers?
https://vimeo.com/93855968
Old 08-21-2015, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Frederick Hwang
I like it.

I opted out on the B&O sound system to save money but now after listening to the system in my little brother's S3...OMG I f'd up!
I am not rubbing salt in your wound, but this week I had my S3 maintenance done. Got a 2016 A6 loaner with Bose audio. MY S3 with B&O blows away the Bose system in the A6. Even my Q5 with B&O blows away the A6, but not as well as the S3. Something about B&O and a small sedan size to really show off great sound. The great thing is that B&O is an affordable upgrade (around $800 on the A3/S3/A4/S4/Q5. It is quite expensive on the A6/A7/A8 platforms.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh and I was thinking something like this but not upgrade the front speakers...would I have to because of the wattage on the stock front speakers?
That's a cool video, wish I had the guts to start tearing my new 50k dollar car apart.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mroberte
Wow awesome install! Is the amp pretty small? I have two amps currently, but they are pretty big. This is pretty perfect! Must resist....
A compliment from you means a lot as you're a mad scientist with your ride. The amp fits very nicely under the seat. I just screwed it in place (after pre drilling holes of course).
Old 08-22-2015, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I like it.

Yeah I think most clients know more than the sales people sometimes. Especially, when you do your research and ask them questions they either just say yes to agree with you or look at you with a nervous twitch while nodding, etc., lol.

Anyways, I was wondering about this as well regarding the sound system. I opted out on the B&O sound system to save money but now after listening to the system in my little brother's S3...OMG I f'd up!

Your solution is nice but I don't want to do all that customizing...but obviously you've done your research and learned a few things about the stock sound system in these cars. Therefore, I have a question for you...do you think a simple powered subwoofer like a bazooka tube style would work? I need bass in my car and the stock is HORRIBLE! Your thoughts? Thanks!
I always need that punch of good bass. Not the boom that is all distorted but good clean punch makes the much sound so much better IMO.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great video. That's how I can adjust the EQ on my amp going through my laptop. I spent about an hour tuning it and it's dialed in. I just have to have more than a treble and bass ****. I need the fine tuning. I also love good quality sound at low volumes. I want to hear everything.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I really want to do an aftermarket system as well. My first two cars were Subarus and were insanely easy to wire everything up. But on the S3, with the MMI, are you guys using a preout on the MMI or taking a high level input from somewhere?

I also can't afford to sacrifice trunk space this time around. Maybe I could run a low profile sub where the stock one is? Do they sell subs that run well without an inclosure?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hamz01
I really want to do an aftermarket system as well. My first two cars were Subarus and were insanely easy to wire everything up. But on the S3, with the MMI, are you guys using a preout on the MMI or taking a high level input from somewhere?

I also can't afford to sacrifice trunk space this time around. Maybe I could run a low profile sub where the stock one is? Do they sell subs that run well without an inclosure?
If you could get a preout from MMI you could always create an IB (infinite baffle) inside the rear trunk by installing sub(s) on the rear parcel shelf. Let's see if I can attach some pics from my 00 A4TQ project.

Of course you're not going to go to the extreme as I did, just want to inspire the possibilities

Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Was looking at two options:
1) See if I could just upgrade the parcel shelf subwoofer.
2) Looking at buying an aftermarket amplified spare tire subwoofer and then hooking up directly into the parcel shelf subwoofer wires.

The second is a little more costly, but I think would have better results. In my old Integra I bought the Bose spare tire subwoofer and then changed the speaker to a normal 6 inch speaker and the results were crazy. Was super cheap and easy, granted I already had a 5 amp sub in the car too which helped alot.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
If you could get a preout from MMI you could always create an IB (infinite baffle) inside the rear trunk by installing sub(s) on the rear parcel shelf. Let's see if I can attach some pics from my 00 A4TQ project.

Of course you're not going to go to the extreme as I did, just want to inspire the possibilities
Yeah, that's ideally what I'd like to do, with a couple of these: JL Audio 12TW3-D4 Shallow-mount 12" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

Quick Reply: Upgraded your sound system yet?