Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 09:39 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

VIM via VAG COM/VCDS Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.ce.org/Consumer-Info/Car...n-the-Car.aspx - I bet the law and not running afoul of it is the real issue. If Audi makes this available and you break the law by displaying VIM, then they'd likely get sued in turn if they made it easily available.

I still have no idea why you'd want to do this anyway.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree it is stupid to have video playing while you are driving. But I would like to display car info (Torque app) from my Android smartphone via video output to MMI to the display. There is no safety reason for not allowing that. Audi should permit the dealers to unlock VIM after the customer signs a release of liability.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joxer
https://www.ce.org/Consumer-Info/Car...n-the-Car.aspx - I bet the law and not running afoul of it is the real issue. If Audi makes this available and you break the law by displaying VIM, then they'd likely get sued in turn if they made it easily available.

I still have no idea why you'd want to do this anyway.
I don't want to display movies or TV, I want to display my iPhone for GPS/ Waze and other travel apps… MOST want VIM for that reason.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By that list of state laws, I'm already driving around illegal then since A3 lets me read/write and transmit text.

I use my MMI for music videos and occasional audio mp3/CD tracks, but mainly Music Videos. I put that 7" inch screen to some REAL use.

The DVD movie aspect of the car is sort of limited unless I'm driving in city with traffic and stops lights at every corner.

Overrall this is the best thing about the Audi MMI, and I'm certain Audi Germany don't give a flying crap about our US state laws, which is why they continue to make all these high-end tech features that we will never get because I country will block it.

I think back to that Concept A3 car that had the tablets mounted to the back of the seat for the backseat passenger.
Technically that could easily benefit from the car's DVD video drive, built-in Wifi that would allow you to stream/air-play the video the backseat passengers. You know the car companies on the west coast i.e. Tesla Motoras are already dabbling with this technology.

It's going to take time before our government relaxes these rules and give in.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Syrome
Apple makes it notoriously difficult to jailbreak or root their devices and people still buy them in droves.
I don't think the VIM issue and Apple's policy are anywhere close to being in the same ballpark. I get what you are saying and in principle agree, but I just think using Apple to make your point doesn't work.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I may have found a solution. Should have more info on Monday
Old 07-15-2015, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 116Crew
I may have found a solution. Should have more info on Monday
That... would.. be... awesome
Old 07-19-2015, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ yep
Old 07-20-2015, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Posted in another thread but i'll post it here again.

Guys I can confirm that IT WORKS!!! Plugged it in and it took about 30 seconds. Went for a drive and VIM is now unlocked! So amazing and simple. I just it doesn't screw anything up in the MMI They said its locked to the specific car but if someone wants to try it I can send it to them. PM me! Cheers!
Old 07-27-2015, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

116Crew, no way to PM you Can you post a link to the solution?
Thanks

Quick Reply: VIM via VAG COM/VCDS Question