Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Wiper chatter

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still working like a champ!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Clean the wiper blades off with some rubbing alcohol then be sure to wash your windshield with dish soap.

Many times when it rains the mist from the tire kick up can contain oils from the road. Once this oil makes it to the windshield it's then spread all over by the wipers. After time this can build up a thin film which can cause issues.

Jason
Old 11-09-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so happy I found this thread. I can confirm a few things here:

* For MY2016 A3, the OEM wipers still suck really badly. There are multiple problems with the included wiper blades- such as skipping/jumping and creating high pitch chatter noises. With rainy weather here in Seattle area, basically you want to stab yourself every time the wipers activate.
* I've researched the Anco/Duralast/Bosch brands extensively. I've tried all three and ultimately decided the ones that work the BEST are Bosch ICON wipers. These are more expensive compared to other options mentioned in this thread, but in my experience with Bosch ICONs in prior years, they do last a lot longer than competing brands. Bosch ICONs are essentially SILENT.
* When purchasing the Bosch ICONs, make sure you look for 26 inch (driver) and 19 inch sizes. Others have mentioned here that the 26 inch wiper might be too long, but no. 26 inch for the driver size is PERFECT and reaches as far as it needs to reach without going over the window.
* Keep in mind Bosch ICONs come in MULTIPLE different fitment types. Make sure to pick up 26OE and 19OE models. The OE kits come with a switchable arm connector which are easily replaceable. Installation took 5 minutes.

Hope this helps. Everything is quite and smooth now. I'm a happy camper.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Sean, but sure-fire for me (9 months of ownership) was shortening the driver side by an inch, hasn't mattered what brand.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2016 S3 had the chatter 'issue' for about 10 minutes. then it went away.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh man. Did I screw myself?

I applied Rain-X last night and this morning my wipers are skipping like INSANITY. Anyone else have issues with Rain-X?
Old 11-17-2015, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanMVCA9
Oh man. Did I screw myself?

I applied Rain-X last night and this morning my wipers are skipping like INSANITY. Anyone else have issues with Rain-X?
i put the Bosch wipers on today and put rain x on my new windshield yesterday! maybe try to clean the window again!
Old 11-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine were changed by the dealer as part of the 5K service.

Dealer confirmed chattering so fixed under warranty.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Has anyone benefited from wiper arm position adjustments? I wonder if too much pressure is being applied, especially at the middle part where they switch direction to return to original starting position.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanMVCA9
Has anyone benefited from wiper arm position adjustments? I wonder if too much pressure is being applied, especially at the middle part where they switch direction to return to original starting position.
no mine were in the wrong position when they replaced my windshield and did not help! just change the blades and you will be fine

Quick Reply: Wiper chatter