Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

8P Quattro Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8P Quattro Questions

Hi guys,

First post here! I am hoping to get into an A3 quattro for my next car, but am having difficulty clarifying a few things (have done numerous searches on here, VW Watercooled, Audizine, VW Vortex etc).

1) I will want to lower the car by 30-50mm. Can I use the stock shocks with springs of this height? I 100% understand that it's best to do springs+shocks all at once, but depending on how much I end up paying for the car this probably wont be in the budget for a year or so. Id rather do the springs now, and then do the shocks if/when they need replacing

2) Can I use springs designed for an S3 or Golf R on an 8P A3 quattro? (my understanding is that the FWD sportback uses different rear springs to the AWD version which rules them out)

3) Is a downpipe + hi-flow cat + panel filter enough for a stage 1 APR? Are there any other
Old 10-23-2016, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by nick_sixx
Hi guys,

First post here! I am hoping to get into an A3 quattro for my next car, but am having difficulty clarifying a few things (have done numerous searches on here, VW Watercooled, Audizine, VW Vortex etc).

1) I will want to lower the car by 30-50mm. Can I use the stock shocks with springs of this height? I 100% understand that it's best to do springs+shocks all at once, but depending on how much I end up paying for the car this probably wont be in the budget for a year or so. Id rather do the springs now, and then do the shocks if/when they need replacing

2) Can I use springs designed for an S3 or Golf R on an 8P A3 quattro? (my understanding is that the FWD sportback uses different rear springs to the AWD version which rules them out)

3) Is a downpipe + hi-flow cat + panel filter enough for a stage 1 APR? Are there any other
4) If I can find a model with sunroof, can this be used with roof racks? Looking for a model with sunroof+roof rails, but it'd be handy to know if the sunroof can actually be opened.

5) Would ideally like to take the car for a pretty comprehensive service after purchasing. What are some common problems that I should look to be addressed? Preliminary research says that intake buildup is notoriously bad on the EA113s?

6) Will a headunit designed as a direct replacement for a MK5/MK6 Golf (and Polo/Amarok/Jetta etc) fit into an 8P (both with the physical cavity and CANBUS)? They seem to be significantly cheaper than buying either an A3-specific unit, or an Audi adapter+fascia kit+head unit

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've been able to find answers to the rest of my queries but these are the final loose ends that I want to tie up before purchasing.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2016, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Q3 is:

Are there any other
Old 10-23-2016, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

under 1000 dollar reflash options (I'm in Australia)? I have had success in the past with Bluefin (Superchips) and EDS for a MK5 Golf and Astra VXR respectively
Old 10-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To answer question 3. You dont need to change anything for a stage 1 but saying that what you have is good too.If your in Brisbane go to BPS Auto at Cleveland, i have heard only positive things from them and cheaper than APR.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for Q1, At 30mm or lower I would definitely be using new shocks with shorter shafts.