Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Looking at 2008 A3

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 2008 A3

Long time browser first time poster.

I am going to look at an 08 A3 2.0T and was wondering what I should be on the look out for.

Car has 116k miles on it which to me seems low (I currently have an '00 TDI) but I do not have an idea of how long these things last/their long term reliability. How many miles can I expect it to last with consistent preventative maintenance?

What are the specific things that I should ask about? Basically i'm like every other guy who doesn't want to have to replace a transmission after owning the car for 3 months.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-13-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

its a great car. there aren't any real issues if its been taken care of.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I wouldnt

Originally Posted by shumwaya

I am going to look at an 08 A3 2.0T and was wondering what I should be on the look out for.

Car has 116k miles on it which to me seems low (I currently have an '00 TDI) but I do not have an idea of how long these things last/their long term reliability. How many miles can I expect it to last with consistent preventative maintenance?

What are the specific things that I should ask about? Basically i'm like every other guy who doesn't want to have to replace a transmission after owning the car for 3 months.

Thanks for the help

I just got an 06 with 95000. After two weeks the high pressure fuel pump went out and that meAns the cam is toast too. Didn't know this was an issue until now. Audi denied me any help for this common problem and now I need to come up $2800!
Old 12-20-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by shumwaya

Thanks for the help
I bought a 2008 A3 2.0l S line with 155k miles on it in august. I am the third owner and it had very well documented maintenance done to it before me. The only major thing I saw done in the past was piston and rings replaced at 97k miles under warranty. They had oil burning issues with the original piston/rings apparently the stock rings had low tension and would get blow by. Other than that regular oil changes and normal maintenance. I LOVE the car, drives like it has 50K miles on it. I'd really quiz them on past maintenance. These are reliable vehicles if you are proactive about maintenance. Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all, new here, researching 2006-2008 A3s. Anyway, Justin, I've seen mentioned in some places that the hpfp has an extended warranty VWVortex.com - Warranty extension letter from Audi for intake camshaft, cam follower, fuel pump

If the OP wants we could try and create a buyers guide type thread for the A3. From my research it looks like the following are things to keep in mind:
1. Timing belt should be done at 100,000 miles. (It can be a $1500 service with the pump change)
2. Water pump should be done at the same time as the timing belt.
3. Ask if they've had pistons and rings changed.
4. If have they had their PCV changed. A rough idle can be a sign of a bad PCV
5. Related to 3 and 4, have they had their intake cleaned of carbon deposits if needed.
6. Ask if they are burning oil.

Unfortunately it seems to me that lots of the above is not stuff that you would learn during a pre purchase inspection but rather if a nice and diligent owner knew this about their car, it would allow you to gauge costs for maintenance. Me personally, I'm trying to find one with belt and pump replaced and going to factor cleaning the intake and a new PCV and time into cost(though I will do then myself).