Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

No Start-OBDII Not Connecting...Separate but related?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start-OBDII Not Connecting...Separate but related?

Cheers all,

I have a 03 1.8t (AGU) bone stock. 5-spd. Well maintained, no other known mechanical or electric issues. Recently replaced the fuel filter (86,000kms).

Drove to meet some friends for lunch. After lunch came out, car turned on fine, drove about 200meters and it died. Over next 20 min depending on how long I stayed on the starter it started and immediately stumbled and died. Didnt matter if I floored gas or didnt touch the accelerator. Car had between 1/4 and a 1/2 tank of gas. It was hot as ***** (+35ēC). I live in Brazil.

Just in case, checked the battery (full charge). Ran to the gas station and put another 5+ liters in the tank...in case the fuel sender was fried. Then, instead of starting and dying, it would just turn over and not start. Had the car towed home.

So, I pulled out fuel pump (appears in good condition, no corrosion, good seal, no leaks). Tested for juice. NO POWER AT FUEL PUMP. Shows 1.5v At the batter showing full 12 volts. Reinstalled the fuel pump. At this point, I am thinking it must be the Fuel Pump Relay. I pull the dash and expect to see a 409...its a 167.

First question...should it be a 167 or a 409? I pulled the relay and hit it with some electronics cleaner. Still not change (we can hope right?). Anyone know how to test a relay?

I have an autozone OBD II connector. I have never been able to make it work (always said NO LINK, whether off, key on, or car running). I checked the port and have perfect ground and perfect power (12v). The K-line pin shows 1.5v and the continuity (measuring ohms) is 3.99. I tried pulling by themselves and in combination:
ABS, Radio, Climate Control. Still no connection. The car has no check engine, abs or other lights showing. I only know that the k - line should be showing less than 1 ohm so something must be wrong here. Stock radio.

If I were in the states, no problem. Buy a cable, or find a friend who can lend me a vagcom or tow to a dealer. I am unfortunately in Brazil where everything is ridiculous and I am pretty much on my own. I do not know where to go from here:

Possible relay issue (409/167)?
Dead fuel pump (want to be sure before I drop the $500 it costs down here)? Any thoughts on why the battery works but not getting any juice to the pump? Could it be a crank sensor? If so, without the diagnostics, any way of knowing?
Something else I dont even know?

One more thing: It has cooled off here. If i stay on the starter for quite some time it will barely eke out ignition and then immediately die. Could this be a spark issue? If so, how can I diagnose which coil pack without a functioning code reader? Seems I cannot solve one without the other...

Thanks in advance for any help!
John