Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Question about a Full-sized Spare

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a Full-sized Spare

Contacted the dealer today to inquire about replacing the donut tire with a full-size spare before taking delivery.

They looked into it and called me back. The conclusion was that a full-size tire, fully inflated with a rim would not fit. Although they were able to place the tire in the well, they could not 'bolt it down.'

What gives? I've heard that Audi decided to use a donut to keep the base price down, but why wouldn't they make enough room to allow a full-size?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:58 AM

Default So don't bolt it down...

When you get home go to a hardware store get a piece of threaded rod. thread it into the hole.. get a piece of metal drill a hole put it over the wheel (maybe with some felt behind it) and use a wing nut to hold it down.. problem solved.

Even then I'd just leave it and not put anything its not going anywhere.. If the seats are up its not gonna come out and hit you in the head.. If the seats are down it will be because something else is back there.. not allowing it to come up.. The spare in my jetta is not bolted down because I remove the plate it bolts to so I could mount the batter there and flipped teh spare so is covers the battery.. Its never moved on me.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: So don't bolt it down...

Thanks,

I guess my issue was just the poor design on Audi's part. Don't get me wrong, I love Audi. If they want to put a donut in the trunk, so be it, but at least allow the consumer to purchase a full-size tire from the parts department that fits like it should.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You may be able to get a hold down with a longer bolt...

My 99.5 A4 came with a hold down for the donut spare and a 2nd one for the standard 5-spoke 16" wheel. But I had the optional 17" 7-spoke wheel which took a longer bolt and wasn't included--the part # is 4A0 803 899 L. The 16" bolt part number was 4A0 803 899 T.

So there may be another size available for the A3--they need to check the parts system.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In any case, it would be a good idea to secure it

in case of a crash. It might also create some noise on certain road surfaces.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just live with the donut, when...

was the last time you had a flat?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:25 AM

My sentiments exactly
Old 07-21-2005, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not true - Fifth Gear did a test with objects in a hatch and a sedan

In a 35 mph wreck, the seats were no match for a loose heavy item. The item broke through quite easily. They did find that latching the seat belt in the back helped to restrain items.

Being sunk into the floor would probably help quite a bit, but don't think that your seats are going to protect you in a normal situation.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Not true - Fifth Gear did a test with objects in a hatch and a sedan

Ok.. several things.. One its under the carpet.. The carpet is going to slow it down.. TWo the carpet is stiff and the carpet will not lift enough to allow it to just fly out and reach you.. The carpet would also slow down its force if it did happen to get up out of the hole its in.. which is very unlikely becuase if you look at the forces in an accident and what it would take.. there are forces moving forward horizontally not up vertically.. it still needs the lift first before it can go forward.

So take that its under stiff carpet... needs forces that are not going to be present in that accident.. and then it has to break through the carpet and back seat... Its not going anywhere...

Again I've been driving around like this for years in my jetta.. no accidents.. but even slamming on the brakes it does not move an inch...

I do believe it could break through the seat.. but not from its position and the other things it has to get through..
Old 07-21-2005, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Fifth Gear test was excellent. After watching that I always try to secure everything down in the

trunk area. I carry a tool box with me most of the time for work so I make sure that this is secure. Another thing that I do now is have the rear seatbelts latched in.

The last thing one needs is a spare wheel unsecured in the trunk area.

Quick Reply: Question about a Full-sized Spare