Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Question about a Full-sized Spare

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare wheel - unsecured

Originally Posted by PDXA4
Please do not doubt my qualifications, it's rather easy to dismiss ones education and backround. Certainly a lot of people do pull supposed degrees out of their ***,it is the faceless internet after all, but I know too many people on this site to lie. For you to doubt my word is a low blow.

What I have got from you, is that you admit that having a unsecure wheel in the truck is not 100% safe. This is what I was bringing attention to.

Now I do accept your point that the chances of the wheel overcoming such restraint (the carpet, cardboard etc.) are pretty high. However it certainly has a greater chance of breaking out unsecured if it has a degree of movement than if it is bolted into place as as it should be. The fact that it could gain acceleration increases the probability of it breaking loose. The carpet is not a fixed object in the trunk and can easily be moved.

The Fifth Gear test was to make people aware of how items from the trunk can become dangerous in the event of a accident. Depending on the accident type the forces can vary greatly and we are in no position to prove beyond doubt. But you can sure bet on what can go wrong will go wrong in a accident.
I know I'm late, but just so you guys can all relax, AND since I haven't found any other fixes for this issue, pn 1K0803899C is the proper hold down for a full size (245/45 17) in an 8p, FWD. Can't say for sure how the AWD might be different.