Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2013 A5 oil pressure troubles (advise needed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 A5 oil pressure troubles (advise needed)

Looking for some advise on what to do?

2013 A5 (APR stage 1) 2.0tfsi with only 25K always maintained at dealer...until now. Driving home the other day I get a "Low oil pressure" stop engine light, shut off car warning. I do this and check the oil, it's good. Start the car back up and the warning is gone. Figure its almost time for the 25K service so contact the dealer who informs me they can no longer work on my car...long story. Never had any problems over the last 25K and a little worried about the 10k interval between oil changes at the dealer but figure that's what they recommend so?

Anyhow figure bad oil needing to be changed has triggered this so I change the oil and filter (wix filter and Mobile 1 5w30). When removing the filter I notice the pressure valve? sitting in there so inspect..looks okay and return, is there a correct way to replace this?? or just drop back in the hole? Complete the oil change by using the suck out method with Mityvac and then add 4.5 or so qts. After cleaning up I start the car, check the oil level (MMI) and no light. Next day I'm driving to work and come to a stop sign and get the light again, The light will only go on WARM, at idle, and under 800 rpm, after you accelerate it goes off and stays off until stopping again, NO OTHER LIGHTS WHEN DRIVING. When I returned home I sat in the driveway for 30 minutes and the light never came back on however start to move again and got the light.

I've experienced no lack of power, no overheating or unusual noises from the motor. I've since replaced the low pressure sensor, replaced the plastic housing and wire on both sensors and still no luck, even swapped out the other sensor just to make sure...still get the light. Took Vag-Com reading again and get the same P164B,P164D and P0341 codes.

At a total loss, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JCMON
Looking for some advise on what to do?

2013 A5 (APR stage 1) 2.0tfsi with only 25K always maintained at dealer...until now. Driving home the other day I get a "Low oil pressure" stop engine light, shut off car warning. I do this and check the oil, it's good. Start the car back up and the warning is gone. Figure its almost time for the 25K service so contact the dealer who informs me they can no longer work on my car...long story. Never had any problems over the last 25K and a little worried about the 10k interval between oil changes at the dealer but figure that's what they recommend so?

Anyhow figure bad oil needing to be changed has triggered this so I change the oil and filter (wix filter and Mobile 1 5w30). When removing the filter I notice the pressure valve? sitting in there so inspect..looks okay and return, is there a correct way to replace this?? or just drop back in the hole? Complete the oil change by using the suck out method with Mityvac and then add 4.5 or so qts. After cleaning up I start the car, check the oil level (MMI) and no light. Next day I'm driving to work and come to a stop sign and get the light again, The light will only go on WARM, at idle, and under 800 rpm, after you accelerate it goes off and stays off until stopping again, NO OTHER LIGHTS WHEN DRIVING. When I returned home I sat in the driveway for 30 minutes and the light never came back on however start to move again and got the light.

I've experienced no lack of power, no overheating or unusual noises from the motor. I've since replaced the low pressure sensor, replaced the plastic housing and wire on both sensors and still no luck, even swapped out the other sensor just to make sure...still get the light. Took Vag-Com reading again and get the same P164B,P164D and P0341 codes.

At a total loss, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Have you indeed got low oil pressure? You need to temporarily install an oil pressure gauge and see what you really have.
BTW, I think 5W30 is too thin, I'd use the maximum viscosity oil recommended by Audi. I'd use a 5W40 Euro amsoil at the minimum (or similar high grade synthetic).

Pressure bypass on the filter shouldn't be visible/separated…but it also won't affect engine oil pressure since that is controlled by a separate oil pressure relief valve in/on/near the oil pump. Use a better filter, OEM or Mann. At least you got to take the filter apart and viz the quality/appearance of the bits.

BTW, show a pic of what you think is the 'low oil pressure' stop engine light. It might not be...
Old 03-10-2015, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info, I'll stop on the way home and pick up some new oil and Mann filter. Would be relieved if this is the cause. Still a little suspicious since I had the warning before changing the oil also but surely worth a try. The warning is the RED OIL CAN DRIPPING and states low pressure. I did check the oil pressure hot it went down as far as 12psi 1 bar at idle and then 28 psi @ 1000 but seemed to stay around that area up to 3000. short hose so needed an assistant (wife) to read the gauge and write down the numbers....may need another check to verify.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Changing oil and filter tonight! so hope this works.

Last edited by JCMON; 03-10-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Now I'm not much of a religious guy however I did pray pretty hard three times this week for God to get me and the Audi home safely and without major detonation. Been sweating bullets and popping Gaviscon tablets like they were mint candies in the worries I might have to foot the bill for a whole new motor.

SloopJohnB, you are the man! cant thank you enough for replying to my call for help and giving me advise on what to do. You surely have some good karma coming your way. I must have been in another world when I grabbed the wrong oil 5w30, was just looking at full syn and going with it. After changing the oil and filter tonight all fault codes are gone, even went for a bit of a drive just to make sure. Been online for days trying to figure this one out and everything was pointing to bad stuff. Will NEVER deviate from Euro Amsoil 5w40 and Mann filter again. Gonna sleep like a baby tonight for sure! If your ever out this way hit me up, I owe you one!

Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

False alarm, drove to work this morning and had the same light again, back to stressing.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Finally fixed it. Was able to check oil pressure correctly, turned out pressure was good. moved on to search the low pressure sensor wire further up the loom and found a break. Looks like it was caused from getting too close to the motor at some point.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi A6 3.0L 164b & 164D fault codes - Oil filter install fault

Originally Posted by JCMON
Finally fixed it. Was able to check oil pressure correctly, turned out pressure was good. moved on to search the low pressure sensor wire further up the loom and found a break. Looks like it was caused from getting too close to the motor at some point.
Double check the oil filter fitment. as alignment of oil filter input tube must be inserted into housing - the engine oil 5w30 or 5w40 will make no difference, speaking from 25 years Auto trade expert . it would have been an oil filter issue, if it was not damaged like this one

correctly

Misaligned Oil filter bought into us from another repairer
Old 01-29-2016, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi P164D P164B Oil Pressure Issues

Ok all I just received both error codes, on my 2011 Q5 TFSI 2.0T, and took it down to my local shop Autobahn Premier Service in Denver, CO.

this is what was completed:
1. My oil was dirty, so it was changed.
2. The crank case breather (06H.103.495AC) was cracked. Replaced
3. Timing cover (064.103.269H) was cracked and leaking. Replaced.
3. Both oil pressure sensores replaced (038.919.081K, 04E.919.081A)

So my issue is gone for now. I was told my particular engine did have issues with the piston rings wearing. If so Audi was replacing those engines below 100K miles.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default So a 2-3 y/o Audi is out of warranty?!

Originally Posted by mightyb28
Ok all I just received both error codes, on my 2011 Q5 TFSI 2.0T, and took it down to my local shop Autobahn Premier Service in Denver, CO.

this is what was completed:
1. My oil was dirty, so it was changed.
2. The crank case breather (06H.103.495AC) was cracked. Replaced
3. Timing cover (064.103.269H) was cracked and leaking. Replaced.
3. Both oil pressure sensores replaced (038.919.081K, 04E.919.081A)

So my issue is gone for now. I was told my particular engine did have issues with the piston rings wearing. If so Audi was replacing those engines below 100K miles.

Hope this helps.
Many miles in CO, evidently. In my experience, dealers, especially Audi, are more likely to help you if you service your car with them throughout the warranty period. Not legally required, but good customers generally get good service.

Quick Reply: 2013 A5 oil pressure troubles (advise needed)