Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2015 S5 driving modes causing problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by 19hole
I'm sure you drive a manual very well, but not with 8ms shifts

There isn't a transmission out there that will shift in 8ms. The state of the art in dual clutch transmissions are those used in the current F1 cars and they still need 50ms to shift.
Given your second statement, I'm not sure of your basis for the first?

Anyway, my point was made in context to trying to give some help to Airtomud's OP regarding torque limits on clutch components.

From the home of Fact and Fiction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox

It is of course the theoretical hand-off time between input shaft 1 and input shaft 2, and only on upshifts, and only on a pre-selected gear (obviously upshifts are always pre-selected). It is also torque managed - meaning put it in D mode, accelerate softly, and the upshifts are much faster than full throttle in S mode. Down shifts are slower, and if the downshift is not preselected much slower.

It was a management directive to develop the fastest shifting transmission,but that brings engineering compromises on torque limits, as the faster the shift speed, the great the dynamic torque multiplier effect. In my comment to Airtomud, I mistakenly said static when I meant dynamic torque.

But the directive was probably due to greater fuel / emissions efficiency to minimise average RPM in drive cycle certifications than to reduce track times

I suspect shift speeds in both the DQ and DL transmissions may have been slowed (relative to torque load at the change point) over the last few years to improve reliability, but that is just a guess.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yeah I didn't think it was 8ms, but neither does F1 use dual clutch transmissions. F1 uses seamless gearboxes. They shift without a clutch. They cut ignition briefly while the dog rings disengage from one gear and bind to the next gear resulting in only 0.3ms of power interruption. The transmission has a single clutch that's operated manually via two buttons on the steering wheel and is only used to start and stop and in an emergency. The first button gets the clutch right to the bite point and the second button gives the driver fine control over engaging the clutch, so there is some driver skill involved in getting out of the hole. Dual clutch transmissions are prohibited by F1 regulations.
But it does use 2 barrels for the gear sets, so it is quite similar to a dual sequential gearbox in layout, just just not a dual clutch one

Seamless Gearbox

The dog rings must have some interesting geometry on the "teeth", because they must be partially engaging/disengaging at the same time, so there has to be some "slip" for this to happen. I hadn't read 0.3ms, but I guess any cut at all keeps it from being a CVT and within the regulations. Impressive engineering - the tolerances in machining and McLaren's ECU must be crazy. But then they don't last too long.

F1 moved to a single stage clutch system this year:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/t...t-returns.html
Old 10-19-2016, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Given your second statement, I'm not sure of your basis for the first?
I didn't make the first statement. My point is that there are no transmissions out there on street cars that shift in 8ms.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by 19hole
I didn't make the first statement. My point is that there are no transmissions out there on street cars that shift in 8ms.
Actually, after looking at some specs, Glisse appears to be correct in one scenario. The DL501 upshifts in 8ms if the next gear is already preselected on the alternate gear shaft. That's not the average shift time, though. For upshifts the average is 50ms I believe if I remember correctly and for downshifts due to the required rev matching it's around 800ms I believe, depending on how freely the engine revs. I believe downshifts on the RS4/5 are faster because the engine revs a lot easier. Same for the R8, but it has a different variant of the S-tronic.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
Actually, after looking at some specs, Glisse appears to be correct in one scenario. The DL501 upshifts in 8ms if the next gear is already preselected on the alternate gear shaft. That's not the average shift time, though. For upshifts the average is 50ms I believe if I remember correctly and for downshifts due to the required rev matching it's around 800ms I believe, depending on how freely the engine revs. I believe downshifts on the RS4/5 are faster because the engine revs a lot easier. Same for the R8, but it has a different variant of the S-tronic.
I found the downshifts to be dramatically faster on the RS4/5. That was one of the best engine/transmission combinations I have ever driven. It felt so direct, sharp, and responsive. I think the software based torque interruption is much more aggressive on the 3.0TFSI because of the torque "curve", which doesn't do much curving. Anyway, the DL501 is not being used on KoVoMo engines, for several reasons. I believe the latest software iterations are a 200ms average upshift, but sadly it is all becoming irrelevant under the New World Order of consumption/emissions/artificial drive cycle tests/FI tuning for highest torque at lowest RPM, etc

But none of this an issue for the OP with his manual transmission - just has to control the urge for burnouts and stock up on clutch packs
Old 10-21-2016, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
I found the downshifts to be dramatically faster on the RS4/5. That was one of the best engine/transmission combinations I have ever driven. It felt so direct, sharp, and responsive.
Yep, that's why I still own my RS5 and don't miss a manual transmission in the slightest.