Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2017 S5 - Manual Transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by infiniti
You're not silly - but the S4's are not being manufactured in Europe either with MT.Believe it or not - Europe has led the way with dropping manuals on ALL cars due to better fuel efficiency with "automatics". Even BMW has reduced the number of MT you can buy in Europe.
Where did you hear that? I was just at the Mercedes Benz plant in Rastatt Germany and they told me that 75% of the cars they produce have manual transmissions. I still see many manuals in Europe. I visitied the Audi dealer to check out the A1, manual. They even had a manual Q5 which I never even knew existed. Europeans still appreciate the driver-engagement that only a manual transmission car can deliver.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I knew this was coming. That is why I purchased my A5 6 speed manual this year, while I could still get it. Great car and a blast to drive. Too bad that Audi is leaving the manuals here in the US. The S3 is available with a manual in Europe. The VW Golf R has the same powertrain as the S3 and is currently available with a stick. My 16 year may be the last generation to learn how to drive a stick
Old 09-17-2015, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I too will look elsewhere for certain. I think Audi has forgotten about customers thinking its designs are enough. Well, here's one owner of a 2013 S5 who will not be purchasing a 2017 S5 if it does not have an MT - but I'm sure Audi couldn't care less. I think arrogance has set in - at least BMW still pays attention. I just hope I'm wrong about the 2017 - but no one is giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I'll see it.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

BMW has cut back in Europe - but maybe I can be proven wrong since manuals till remain strong in the U.S. Trouble is that "M"'s are rear wheel - and I live in the East where snow is a given.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fithian
The European version of the S5 was not offered with a manual trans. Only the US got the manual. If the 2017-8 S5 has no manual, I will have to look elsewhere. Porsche still has a 6-speed MT in the Cayman as well as a 7-speed manual in the 911. Not sure where else to look, since BMW has lost their way.
If the 2017 S5 is not offered with the manual I will probably start with the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifogio which should be coming over in a manual (it would also be my first four door in over 35 years of new car purchases), give a cursory look to an M4 or 435 but I agree, current BMW's do nothing for me and even possibly look downmarket to a VW GTI or Golf R (I had three GTI's in the past and loved them), the Focus RS (ONLY offered in a manual....mad respect to Ford for that) and even the Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio...and just listen to that exhaust all day.

All that said, other than the Alfa...all the other cars would be pale substitutions to the S5 to me...but not enough where I think I could pull the trigger on an automatic S5
Old 09-19-2015, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, my worst fears have been confirmed: I've had 3 or 4 emails yesterday back and forth with a very forthright and knowledgeable Sr Manager, Product and Motorsports Communication - USA, who stated that the S5 will follow the S4: No manual transmission. I must say I was really impressed with him and his responsiveness. Ofcourse I am totally disgusted with corporate Audi. I have no doubt the 2017 S5 will please the masses with a great interior, infotainment center etc. However, it won't please those, like myself, for whom Audi has cast aside in the name of "fuel efficiency, tiptronic shifting" ad nauseum. Some people still like to DRIVE cars.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by infiniti
Well, my worst fears have been confirmed: I've had 3 or 4 emails yesterday back and forth with a very forthright and knowledgeable Sr Manager, Product and Motorsports Communication - USA, who stated that the S5 will follow the S4: No manual transmission. I must say I was really impressed with him and his responsiveness. Ofcourse I am totally disgusted with corporate Audi. I have no doubt the 2017 S5 will please the masses with a great interior, infotainment center etc. However, it won't please those, like myself, for whom Audi has cast aside in the name of "fuel efficiency, tiptronic shifting" ad nauseum. Some people still like to DRIVE cars.
That is very distressing to say the least and I just don't understand why these manufacturers insist on taking it away where there is a fervent and cult-like small base of enthusiasts who want no part of an automatic. I have said in the past and I am sure that I am not the only one, that I would be willing to PAY for the option of a manual.

Oh well...looks like I will be heading down to my Alfa Romeo dealer this time next year...
Old 09-21-2015, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Our government is partly to blame. They make the auto manufacturers certify every configuration of the cars they want to bring into the US. This get to be pretty costly, especially for an option like the manual that has a declining customer base. It all comes down to $$$$
Old 09-21-2015, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 19hole
Our government is partly to blame. They make the auto manufacturers certify every configuration of the cars they want to bring into the US. This get to be pretty costly, especially for an option like the manual that has a declining customer base. It all comes down to $$$$
True- but when my 2012 S5 gets old enough, I'll likely leave Audi for a brand that offers a manual.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KarlFEvans
True- but when my 2012 S5 gets old enough, I'll likely leave Audi for a brand that offers a manual.
Yup, I'm done with Audi when the 2014 S4 needs to go. In my plan I always want to have at least 1 M/T vehicle in my garage so I can teach my kids when they learn to drive - this beloved lost art. Now that VW is going to bleed because of dieselgate, bean counters at Audi will be in full force.

Quick Reply: 2017 S5 - Manual Transmission??