Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2017 S5 - Manual Transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by tna3
Yup, I'm done with Audi when the 2014 S4 needs to go. In my plan I always want to have at least 1 M/T vehicle in my garage so I can teach my kids when they learn to drive - this beloved lost art. Now that VW is going to bleed because of dieselgate, bean counters at Audi will be in full force.
Or you can just pick up a VW with a manual really cheap. ;-)
Old 09-28-2015, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Or you can just pick up a VW with a manual really cheap. ;-)
Well...personally, that is one of my options that I have been thinking about. Save some cash and get either a GTI or Golf R
Old 09-28-2015, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamblastx
If the 2017 S5 is not offered with the manual I will probably start with the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifogio which should be coming over in a manual (it would also be my first four door in over 35 years of new car purchases), give a cursory look to an M4 or 435 but I agree, current BMW's do nothing for me and even possibly look downmarket to a VW GTI or Golf R (I had three GTI's in the past and loved them), the Focus RS (ONLY offered in a manual....mad respect to Ford for that) and even the Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio...and just listen to that exhaust all day.

All that said, other than the Alfa...all the other cars would be pale substitutions to the S5 to me...but not enough where I think I could pull the trigger on an automatic S5
you should look at the Roush or Shelby versions of the new Ford Mustang GT as well, there is a great manual transmission in my Shelby.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Do they have any left hand drive manual Q5's there? I wish there was a local dealer

Do they have any left hand drive manual Q5's there? I wish there was a local dealer in New England that could facilitate this. Also with the emissions process which I heard is a nightmare if you're pockets aren't thickly lined. I have an 04' A4 that I don't really want to part ways with but I want an SUV. I've never owned an automatic nor do I want to. Latest model SUV with a manual is BMW X5 2006... Or the Porche Cayenne.. As far as German engineered goes. I was looking to get something 5 years old. Any suggestions??
Old 10-29-2015, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

You are on the right track....search for an older V6 Cayenne. They were pretty rare when they were introduced. So much so that if you ordered one it could take over a year to get it, if you ever did!

Try searching here: ERROR
Old 10-30-2015, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So sad. I still have my B5 A4 manual, just plain fun. I just sold my B8 S4 a few weeks ago. But if Audi is not going to offer manual transmissions as an option I will jump ship to BMW or Porsche. So bummed. BMW M2 will have manual option, maybe that!
Old 11-02-2015, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Heidi81
Do they have any left hand drive manual Q5's there? I wish there was a local dealer in New England that could facilitate this. Also with the emissions process which I heard is a nightmare if you're pockets aren't thickly lined. I have an 04' A4 that I don't really want to part ways with but I want an SUV. I've never owned an automatic nor do I want to. Latest model SUV with a manual is BMW X5 2006... Or the Porche Cayenne.. As far as German engineered goes. I was looking to get something 5 years old. Any suggestions??

Q5 or A5? You are in the A5 forum.

FYI, they do produce a manual Q5 but they aren't for sale here in the US. Check out this thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ssion-2890368/
Old 11-02-2015, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pixeleye
So sad. I still have my B5 A4 manual, just plain fun. I just sold my B8 S4 a few weeks ago. But if Audi is not going to offer manual transmissions as an option I will jump ship to BMW or Porsche. So bummed. BMW M2 will have manual option, maybe that!
I saw an ad in Road and Track magazine this weekend that you can get a toyota corolla with an optional 6 speed manual...odd.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikejaeggi
I saw an ad in Road and Track magazine this weekend that you can get a toyota corolla with an optional 6 speed manual...odd.
I just saw the same ad in the new Car and Driver. The stick shift is the prominent and main photograph of the ad and I too thought it was very odd considering the increased rarity of the manual transmission.

I am starting to wonder if a manual transmission will eventually become an extra cost option on some cars (which I would GLADLY pay for). And maybe us 'less than 5 percenters' are starting to be heard. Porsche announced that the next GT3 will have a manual option (the current one is auto only). Maybe the skies aren't so dark and gloomy after all....well here is to hoping anyway
Old 11-21-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Bummer. That's why I bought my 2014 A5 instead of the TT again. It had a manual.

Dec 2016 my lease is up, and I was debating what to do. If I have to drive an automatic, might as well just get an SQ5 or something less 'fun' and more practical.

Quick Reply: 2017 S5 - Manual Transmission??