Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

6MT owners, clutch pedal squeaks and travel isn't smooth when warm

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beakerz
... Some have compared it to BMW's HPFP issue, but the difference there is that the HPFP failures seem to happen to just about everyone. So far I've only seen a small number of B8 Audi owners complaining about these clutch issues. ...
IMO, the S4 waterpump issue is more like the BMW HPFP issue.
Those are going out like nobody's business.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Also Assumes Dealerships know what they are doing

I feel bad for the few people in this thread who are having these clutch issues....but I have to wonder if this issue is truly a widespread issue at all.

Some have compared it to BMW's HPFP issue, but the difference there is that the HPFP failures seem to happen to just about everyone. So far I've only seen a small number of B8 Audi owners complaining about these clutch issues.

I also haven't seen a single post on any forum where 2011 model year cars have had the same problem, so I'm thinking that Audi did finally figure it out. And if that's the case, I don't see why there isn't a 100% workable fix for you guys with 2010 models.
This also assumes the dealerships know what they are doing and looking to replace, rather then a trial and error kind of thing. Or knowing what is ultimately causing the issue and correctly replacing those parts.

I haven't heard anyone from MY2011+, so that is promising news.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also haven't seen a single post on any forum where 2011 model year cars have had the same problem, so I'm thinking that Audi did finally figure it out. And if that's the case, I don't see why there isn't a 100% workable fix for you guys with 2010 models.
My 5 month old 2011 just experienced this issue last night and this morning, if this keep happening for the next two days, I'll have my dealer check it. for me it's happening form 1st to 2nd gear.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by a4cab_austin
My 5 month old 2011 just experienced this issue last night and this morning, if this keep happening for the next two days, I'll have my dealer check it. for me it's happening form 1st to 2nd gear.
Hmmm....well, if it is truly a clutch issue, it shouldn't matter which gears it's happening in. Maybe you have synchro problems if you're having issues shifting into 2nd gear.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmmm....well, if it is truly a clutch issue, it shouldn't matter which gears it's happening in. Maybe you have synchro problems if you're having issues shifting into 2nd gear.
You're right, the car has been checked, not the clutch issue.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

My clutch pedal will squeak about 10-15 minutes into driving in stop-and-go traffic (which is not too common for me) and I've noticed that the pedal will not always come up smoothly; though, it's not very consistent. I know that there is a bit more vibration that passes through the pedal at higher engine RPMs, but this happens even below 2800 RPM.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Welcome to the club

Originally Posted by questionlp
My clutch pedal will squeak about 10-15 minutes into driving in stop-and-go traffic (which is not too common for me) and I've noticed that the pedal will not always come up smoothly; though, it's not very consistent. I know that there is a bit more vibration that passes through the pedal at higher engine RPMs, but this happens even below 2800 RPM.
Congrats on the new ride.... I would have the stealership check it out when you get a chance, they still haven't figured it out for me and says it's normal which is total BS (I am living with it for now but it is a great disappointment for an otherwise great car and a big annoyance when driving in stop and go - still very heat dependent), which seems to be the answer for anything they can't truly diagnose or fix or are being lazy too. Some people have had success, just wish the stealerships were more consistent in the quality of work.

I may just put an aftermarket clutch in to hopefully get rid of this once and for all.

Cheers!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sparkster
This also assumes the dealerships know what they are doing and looking to replace, rather then a trial and error kind of thing. Or knowing what is ultimately causing the issue and correctly replacing those parts.

I haven't heard anyone from MY2011+, so that is promising news.
Hello, new member! Car is 2011 S4 6MT.

Sorry for dragging out an old thread, but, I've had a February 2011 S4 with 6MT for 9 months and can report that the creaking clutch pedal was there when I collected it from Audi dealer. When it was in for its first (UK) MOT, I mentioned the creaking pedal, tech sprayed lubricant on it and said to get back to them if it caused any more trouble - at that time I had not read any horror stories about these 6MT problems - until I posted on AudiSRS - then I started to get told about all the failing 6MT units, but I'd worked out that it was S5 people posting on a mainly S4 forum, so maybe different gearboxes. So far I've not had any replies from S4 3.0 owners having problems, but I kind of hoping that the creaking pedal problem is external to the gearbox, and probably the over-centre spring and/or its mounting parts that are part of the clutch pedal assembly - anyone know if any of that is true?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi. I actually want to add my story to this thread. I purchased a 2010 S4 6MT under CPO with 62km last September. Love the car, always wanted an S4. Came from a 2006 6MT A4 and definitely wanted a manual. I drive the car a few times a week and had no issues. This past April 2015 I was driving to a family function about 3 hours away and was stuck in stop and go traffic. After about 30 minutes the clutch began to feel a bit sticky and would release in phases--not at all smooth. After about an hour the clutch began to creak as it was releasing even during highway shifts. The sticking got worse. As the warmer weather started this was a repeatable issue. This thread really helped me to determine there were people running into this scenario.

I went to the dealer and booked a test drive with one of the mechanics. I made sure the car was driven and warmed up for 30 mins. I pulled into the dealer and the mechanic jumped in and took over driving and immediately detected the issue described by myself and all of the others in this thread. It was good to have validation of the problem! The car was booked for service a few weeks out and they also checked to see if there were any outstanding TSB's for the car. Sure enough they confirmed there were upgraded parts as per the TSB referenced here.

The work was performed over 5 days and I go the car back. The clutch action was buttery smooth, definitely felt good. On my way home from the dealer it was very warm outside and after 10 minutes of spirited highway driving the clutch began to feel different. If I would shift say at 3800 rpm or higher when depressing the clutch pedal in there was some vibration. At first just a little bit, but the more I drove the worse it felt. No impact to shifting, no hesitation and no noise. After a while it felt as though I could feel a spinning type of vibration through the pedal. Again this is repeatable after driving after 10-15 minutes. I waited a few weeks to see if this was going to go away but it did not. I called the dealer and was advised to come back in and have the mechanic test drive the car. I did this a week later and the mechanic drove the car again. It was not as warm outside but I insisted we drive for 15 minutes. The mechanic advised while we were driving that he felt a little bit of engine resonance via the pedal but there was no issue as far as he could tell. My dilemma is that all of the previous work was covered under CPO, any further work is on my dime unless they find an issue. That could be pretty expensive.

I wanted to post this for information more than anything else as this thread helped me when I was trying to figure out if my issue was isolated. Next steps are to try and convince the dealer to check the issue without cost to me. As a compare I drove a 2013 S4 6MT this past Saturday and after 30 mins of driving the clutch was still buttery smooth.

I will post any updates.

Thanks...RyanM