Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 Air bag and parking system malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 Air bag and parking system malfunction

Fantastic car...BUT...Didn't even make it a 1000 miles before the Parking system has a malfunction (but the parking break still works) and the air bag light is also on. Taking it in tomorrow.

The parking system light isn't even in the manual (shows BRAKE for US models). Has anyone else experienced this? I did not see any similar reports on TrueDelta.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hef311
Fantastic car...BUT...Didn't even make it a 1000 miles before the Parking system has a malfunction (but the parking break still works) and the air bag light is also on. Taking it in tomorrow.

The parking system light isn't even in the manual (shows BRAKE for US models). Has anyone else experienced this? I did not see any similar reports on TrueDelta.
If the error specifically reads "parking system" then it's almost certainly a problem with the parking distance sensors, not with the brake -- Audi Parking System is the name of the park-distance system (with or without the backup camera).
Old 11-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting. Maybe I need to tell the dealer that - they told me it was because the parking break was not properly aligned/calibrated during the PDI process. The air bag light was supposedly for the knee air bag sensor. They showed me a 50-page diagnostic report, and said both sensors passed all tests. The dealer chalked it up to a sporadic sensor failure and told me to keep an eye on it.

For the parking break, they did the basic calibration. Then they brought the car around to the front. I got in and started the car and the exact same error lights came on! Didn't even move the car.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

well, you can look at it as a good thing because rather than having it pop up now so the dealer can pay for it. If it does pop up anytime later, the money is off from your pocket and trust me, Audi dealers have some of the worst tech there. To sum the whole thing up, they plug your car into the computer, if the computer said something specific, then your car is set, if not, the guess work start from there. Luckily, it's not your money, or else, it won't just burn one hole but several holes through your wallet.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So they are keeping it yet another day! BTW - they haven't replaced any parts, the sensor has stayed off on their 15 mile test, but Audi is telling them to do it again tomorrow after disabling and reassembling half the air bag system. The car is too advanced for it's own good, but if this happens again shouldn't they be replacing parts instead of 2 days of troubleshooting?

Audi of America says they will talk compensation once the car is finally back to me and the fix determined.

Another day with my hot hertz girlish green corolla - what's the qualification to get a decent loaner car?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Same Problems with Airbag and Parking

Just hit 900 miles on my 2010 S5 and both the Parking Break Malfunction error and airbag light stays on all the time. Did you guys ever get an explanation from the dealer. I'm hoping it just goes away after a couple restarts.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same exact problem. 850 miles on my car. Had it at the dealer all last week. They told me it was the Seat belt tension ignitor and that they ran some voltage tests and everything looked good so they wiped out the codes. When I went to pick the car up the lights came on immediately. They had just moved the car to the front before a came so i know for fact the lights had to be on then as well. Starting to get extremely frustrated. They clearly have no idea what the actual problem is. The dealer is 30 miles from my house and is an exteme inconveniance to take every week.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just got a call from the dealer, they said its spitting out the same code as last time and are replacing the seatbelt latch.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gtoshifter
Just got a call from the dealer, they said its spitting out the same code as last time and are replacing the seatbelt latch.
Any follow up on this? I got the same error message today.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

they replaced the seat belt latch. Havent had a problem since.

Quick Reply: A5 Air bag and parking system malfunction