Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

all season tires performance in real snow (Wisconsin)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mokotoy
Did you cover your headlights and fog lamps too? I'm considering putting on a film on that but I don't know if it's worth it
Headlight lenses yes. There are no fog lights - the round lenses are for the ACC. Those shouldn't be covered with anything. See my sig for my Xpel coverage. 2 years and not one paint chip. Best mod for the car. Also did Opti-coat Pro. Haven't needed waxing since the application 16 months ago.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Headlight lenses yes. There are no fog lights - the round lenses are for the ACC. Those shouldn't be covered with anything. See my sig for my Xpel coverage. 2 years and not one paint chip. Best mod for the car. Also did Opti-coat Pro. Haven't needed waxing since the application 16 months ago.
How much does the Opti-coat pro go for?
Old 09-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SamLV
I just realized I haven't put my location in my profile yet. I'm in PA near Philly.

My brother lived in Madison though. When you live in a place where they tell you how many seconds it will be before exposed skin will freeze and you can freeze your nostrils, absolutely, winter tires and I'd guess you have block heaters too.

How do you keep rocks from chipping paint, but the way? I've seen a 3M film which is supposed to prevent that, but even in PA the cinders (sic) are a PIA. I am considering a winter beater for that reason plus the parking at the airport. That could eliminate the tire issue, I suppose. Just keep it in when under 40F or any winter weather.
I live in the Lehigh Valley. I drive a RS5. The dealer where I purchased my car used the 3M film. So far I have been very happy with it. No stone chips where I had it applied. I live in an area where they don't plow much..just tons of cinders.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Had both the DWS and the pilot sports on my 2010 S5. I hated
The DWS and ended up getting the pilots. Both were about the same in light snow. Never felt totally confident with either. The DWS made the car fell like a 1989 Lincoln
Around the corners. Very soft,shifty side walls.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi ive had 19" DWS on my A5 for 12 months now. Went through 1 snow season. I thought it was excellent i couldn't even get the abs to come on once and i drove once the roads were ploughed in slush, ice and probably a max of 5 inches or so of snow zero problems. In the wet they have been excellent also. Only time will tell but so far i would buy these again.

Ive also opti coated my car after i had the paint professionally corrected. It is easier to wash after the opti coating i did everything, headlights, lens, and my 19" wheels. The wheels are definitely easier to clean, I still have to use my wheel wash mitt but everything comes off with one wipe. Happy with it, i still quick wax it just for fun.