Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

AUDI S5 SEAT ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUDI S5 SEAT ISSUES

Hey guys so I just picked up my seapang s5. First audi and couldnt be happier. I have had Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes and this one, performance wise blows them out of the water. I have one issue. The drivers seat is painfully uncomfortable. I am trying to adjust is a million ways but the sides of the chair kill me while im driving. Anyone else have this issue? I literally have to drive with a pillow. I am not that big of a guy im 5 9, 190lbs.

Well here is the beauty

Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm about the same size and I personally find the S seats to be very comfortable. Made the trip last winter from New England to Florida and could not have been happier with the seat comfort.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default LOL..post pic of your azz!

Originally Posted by dannyhrgl
Hey guys so I just picked up my seapang s5. First audi and couldnt be happier. I have had Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes and this one, performance wise blows them out of the water. I have one issue. The drivers seat is painfully uncomfortable. I am trying to adjust is a million ways but the sides of the chair kill me while im driving. Anyone else have this issue? I literally have to drive with a pillow. I am not that big of a guy im 5 9, 190lbs.

Well here is the beauty

That being said, some people just find bucket seats uncomfortable. If you tried one in the showroom before you bought this one and the showroom one was comfortable, you ought to be able to get something done at the dealer.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I came from a '13 Lexus GS F Sport that had some of the most comfortable seats I'd ever sat in, so it took some time to get used to the harder Sport seats in the S5. However, I now find them to be perfectly acceptable. I did have to play around with the settings a bit, but they seem fine to me. I'm 5'8" and 160 lbs. The funny thing is, I had to drive with a pillow on the bottom of the sport seats in my '01 A6 4.2 because they were so hard, but not these. Maybe you just need more seat time to break them in?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmm, that is a bit of a quandary...

We have had eight Audi's and all have been comfortable, although our 2012 A6 was borderline. My wife is 5'2" and I am 6'4", so finding compatible cars has always been a challenge. The Audi's have been our best solution yet. I imagine you already done this, but inspect the seat carefully for fitment issues. Is it level in the car? Is it misaligned? The front bolster is a real boon for distributing weight more equitably along your underside. GO back to the dealer and try another S4/S5 and see if it feels the same.

One of our S5's had the Nappa Leather, while the current S4 and RS5 have the Alacantra inserts. When you first get into the Alacantra covered seats, it takes a moment to adjust yourself as the fabric grips you and holds you in place. Some adjustment of your trousers, shorts, etc. helps to get a better seating position. We put up with the Alcantra because it is so effective in spirited driving situations. We have a wonderful 140 mile twisting mountain loop we do every weekend and the seat grips so well, it reduces fatigue. One tip you might try… bring the seatback as far upright as you can stand. Over time you will appreciate the extra control you will have in your hips and reduction on stress in your shoulders and spine. Most folks have the seat reclined way to much and it puts significant stress on your lumbar vertebrae which in turn deliver added stress to your hips.

Good luck and Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 06-08-2015, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Back a few years ago when the then new RS4 was being introduced here in the US, a bunch of GMBH tech had a press day at Rusnak in the valley. I was invited as I owned an RS6 and got to do a test drive with a few of these german tech along with me. One of them went first to show me the car and I noticed he had his seat back cranked all the way as far forward as it would go sitting up high looking down over the front right up on the steering wheel.... almost like a NASCAR driver looks.. He told me that was for the exact reasons you describe above..I tried it and have kept this position ever since..
Old 06-12-2015, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hy Octane
he had his seat back cranked all the way as far forward as it would go sitting up high looking down over the front right up on the steering wheel.... almost like a NASCAR driver looks.. He told me that was for the exact reasons you describe above..I tried it and have kept this position ever since..
+1.

Most people have their seat too far back, and reclined too much. I know this has been covered before, but a good way to adjust your seat is:

1. Change the angle of recline of the seat back so that it is all the way forward. Like on an airplane when they tell you to raise seat backs for landing - you should be bolt upright.

2. Adjust seat height. Make a fist and place it on top of your head, then raise your seat until your hand just touches the ceiling. Stated another way - the top of your head should be about 4 inches from the ceiling. (Note - very tall people may have to cheat this a bit.)

3. With your butt firmly planted deep in the seat, and shoulders back, extend your right arm and see if you can drape your wrist over the top of the steering wheel without leaning forward at all. Adjust your seat fore or aft until to get this right. Many people will find this results in sitting closer to the steering wheel than they are used to, but it gives you much better steering control, as you can have both hands on the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and not have to "shuffle" your grip when making most turns - only the most extreme turns, such as maneuvering around a parking lot, should require the shuffle.

4. Check that your feet reach the pedals. Your right leg should normally be bent about 90 degrees, and your left foot should rest comfortably on the dead pedal.

5. Now adjust mirrors. Seated squarely in the seat, tilt your head over onto your left shoulder without leaning over, and check the view of the driver side mirror. You should just barely be able to see the left rear quarter panel of the car. When you straighten your head up to normal driving position you should not see the rear quarter panel in the mirror. This technique virtually eliminates any so-called "blind spots." Repeat for the right side mirror.

Sitting bolt upright like this, and closer to the wheel, eliminates having to extend your reach, which in turn relives stress on your back and spine. The only other adjustment to consider is the angle of the seat bottom. I found that too much angle and the front bolster can dig into my leg, causing some discomfort over time. I suggest that after making the adjustments above tilt the seat bottom forward so that there isn't much pressure on the back of your legs. You can try adjusting this as you drive to see what works best for you.

Last edited by ChipB; 06-12-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hy Octane and Chip's advice worked for me. I adjusted my seats as per directions and my chronic lower back pain is greatly relieved. I typically had my seat too reclined but now bolt-upright makes a huge improvement in comfort.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipB
...The only other adjustment to consider is the angle of the seat bottom. I found that too much angle and the front bolster can dig into my leg, causing some discomfort over time. I suggest that after making the adjustments above tilt the seat bottom forward so that there isn't much pressure on the back of your legs. You can try adjusting this as you drive to see what works best for you.
Before I retired I was a VP in charge of facilities for a Fortune 100 company and ordered millions of dollars worth of office furniture over the years. It may be worth checking out the sites of good office desk chair manufacture's like Herman Miller to see their best ergonomic advice for adjusting cushions (bottom and back). If I recall correctly, it is generally recommended that the front edge of the bottom/seat cushion be lower than the back (butt) so as to tilt you a bit forward and thus eliminate pressure on the legs behind the knee area. Alternatively, just Google "ergonomic chair adjustment/seating position" or something like that.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

My friends say I sit like I'm in a "low rider", with the seat at its lowest position, far back and with the seat back slightly reclined. I've never been uncomfortable that way, but I did try the settings suggested in the earlier post and it feels pretty good. I now have that set on Memory 2, so I can go back and forth and see which is truly the most comfortable for me. I guess I just feel like the lower, more laid-back position is sportier, but it might be time for a change!