Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Car shaking after piston replacement, dealer wants to change valves and gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shaking after piston replacement, dealer wants to change valves and gasket

I have a 2010 Audi A5 2.0T, have had it for about 3 years, car was running great but was burning oil. Car is out of warranty but Audi did a full piston replacement under the extended warranty because of the oil consumption issue about a month ago and car has been running fine since then.

Was driving on the highway when the check engine lights started flashing out of nowhere, car started shaking. Pulled it over, car was shaking and running really rough at idle. Got it towed back to Audi to see what they say.

They say best case scenario is it needs a valve and gasket replacement which is 20 hours of labour and going to cost me about $5000 with parts. They said it would be covered if it was related to the warranty job and piston replacement but the technician insists that its not. Worst case scenario they say if that doesn't fix it they need to replace cylinder heads which will be $7700 on top of that.

Any advice? I'm trying to argue that it's gotta be related to something they did because I never had any issues with the car (other than burning oil) for years and all of a sudden this happens a month after the piston replacement.

Would it be worth replacing the entire engine? How much roughly would that cost me?
Old 11-24-2015, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default What valve?

Originally Posted by mrska
I have a 2010 Audi A5 2.0T, have had it for about 3 years, car was running great but was burning oil. Car is out of warranty but Audi did a full piston replacement under the extended warranty because of the oil consumption issue about a month ago and car has been running fine since then.

Was driving on the highway when the check engine lights started flashing out of nowhere, car started shaking. Pulled it over, car was shaking and running really rough at idle. Got it towed back to Audi to see what they say.

They say best case scenario is it needs a valve and gasket replacement which is 20 hours of labour and going to cost me about $5000 with parts. They said it would be covered if it was related to the warranty job and piston replacement but the technician insists that its not. Worst case scenario they say if that doesn't fix it they need to replace cylinder heads which will be $7700 on top of that.

Any advice? I'm trying to argue that it's gotta be related to something they did because I never had any issues with the car (other than burning oil) for years and all of a sudden this happens a month after the piston replacement.

Would it be worth replacing the entire engine? How much roughly would that cost me?
Audi replaced an OEM piston a month ago according to your story, but for example if the valve that went (burned exhaust valve? Bad intake?) was on the cylinder that had the piston replaced, you would have a good argument that the piston replacement was insufficient for the original problem.

In general, you can replace an engine with a used engine far less expensively than repairing the one you have at the dealer labor rate. Call Shokan.com and find out what a low mileage 2.0T engine costs. Although I'm not sure it's a good long term solution, given the problems with that engine I hear about on various sources.

We leased a 2015 2.0T A5…No oil use for first 5K miles, oil changed at dealer (prepaid oil changes for lease period), we have right around 11K miles on it now and it shows one increment down from full. If it goes to two down at 15K, the normal oil change interval, I'll be of the opinion it's an oil burner and damned glad I only have another year to go on the lease.

We've owned two V8s…neither of which burned any oil until maybe 100K miles…the 2KA6 4.2 lost/burned maybe a pint in 8K oil changes up till 190K when we sold it. No leaks, no cam cover gasket leaks either.
The current 02S6 uses a quart between 10,000 mile oil changes at 135K miles. No leaks, no cam cover gasket leaks either.

I'm not real happy with the 2.0T although paired with the 8speed trans it does move the A5 quickly and 30-40% less fuel than the A6 V8s.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Audi replaced an OEM piston a month ago according to your story, but for example if the valve that went (burned exhaust valve? Bad intake?) was on the cylinder that had the piston replaced, you would have a good argument that the piston replacement was insufficient for the original problem.
They replaced all 4 pistons as part of the replacement so regardless of which valve is bad I would think I have an argument there don't I?