Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Car Wash Dangers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Wash Dangers

All the more reason to wash it yourself.

But if you must go thru a car wash, touch less is preferable and ask to stay with your vehicle.

Can your car survive the carwash? - MarketWatch
Old 11-17-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter the type of car wash, they are sure to leave scratches or swirls in your paintwork which are more obvious on dark colors.
The touchless system doesn't clean the car because you need agitation to remove the dirt. My beater sees the car wash but my Audis do not. Sometimes in the winter months, I'll visit a hand-wash detailer but otherwise would (a bit compulsive?) rather wash, clean and dry the cars myself than spend the time trying to buff out imperfections.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisC
No matter the type of car wash, they are sure to leave scratches or swirls in your paintwork which are more obvious on dark colors.
The touchless system doesn't clean the car because you need agitation to remove the dirt. My beater sees the car wash but my Audis do not. Sometimes in the winter months, I'll visit a hand-wash detailer but otherwise would (a bit compulsive?) rather wash, clean and dry the cars myself than spend the time trying to buff out imperfections.
I use the touchless for my Audis in the winter to get the salts and dirt off. I will do this once a week if it is really bad. Lucky for us here in Colorado we get sunshine 300 days/yr and many winter days are in the 40-50s which allow hand washing if the ground is not frozen (but if it is then it becomes too dangerous to wash as the water freezes on the driveway)
Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Interesting challenges. Conveyer belt car washes should be avoided with an Audi, though. Towing or pulling an Audi in neutral can ruin the Quattro drivetrain. It's even more important if you have a DSG. The problem with the DSG is that the oil isn't circulating when the engine is off, so you can ruin the transmission if the car is dragged through a car wash. I don't remember specifically what my manual says, but I remember it says to avoid conveyer belt car washes. Always go to one where the car wash moves around the car and not the other way around.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Interesting challenges. Conveyer belt car washes should be avoided with an Audi, though. Towing or pulling an Audi in neutral can ruin the Quattro drivetrain. It's even more important if you have a DSG. The problem with the DSG is that the oil isn't circulating when the engine is off, so you can ruin the transmission if the car is dragged through a car wash. I don't remember specifically what my manual says, but I remember it says to avoid conveyer belt car washes. Always go to one where the car wash moves around the car and not the other way around.
I'm not sure i understand the point here. With a conveyor belt car wash - at least the one I go to - the car is just sitting on thr belt. it isn't being "dragged". Why would this damage the car?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ssc5174
I'm not sure i understand the point here. With a conveyor belt car wash - at least the one I go to - the car is just sitting on thr belt. it isn't being "dragged". Why would this damage the car?
If none of the wheels are turning while the car is going through the wash, then you are good. The ones I'm familiar with hook on to the front wheel and pull the car through the wash. That's why it has to be in neutral, so the wheels can spin. These are also what the article refers to. I've never seen a car wash where the entire car is loaded up on a moving belt and carried through the wash. Can you provide a link or a picture?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I never use a car wash on the Audi but in the past with a beater I would go through and never had to turn the engine off - so I am wondering why you assume the engine would not be running in a car wash.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lmariorod
All the more reason to wash it yourself.

But if you must go thru a car wash, touch less is preferable and ask to stay with your vehicle.

Can your car survive the carwash? - MarketWatch
I found this interesting. I encountered some of the issues mentioned here when my 2013 Audi A6 had its deer collision last summer. The flatbed tow truck guy had to get detailed instructions from me on how to have the car not running and still able to roll without the parking brakes staying on so he could use the cable to pull it up on top of the flatbed truck. I haven’t noticed anything wrong to date so he must have done it correctly in subsequent moves. It went from the Catskills to two places in New Jersey and then over to the repair shop in Tuckahoe, NY a few days later, so it was loaded/unloaded several times. Either they did it right or the repair shop fixed the damage they caused.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If none of the wheels are turning while the car is going through the wash, then you are good. The ones I'm familiar with hook on to the front wheel and pull the car through the wash. That's why it has to be in neutral, so the wheels can spin. These are also what the article refers to. I've never seen a car wash where the entire car is loaded up on a moving belt and carried through the wash. Can you provide a link or a picture?
http://www.autospamd.com/index.shtml....the car pulls forward onto a moving conveyor belt - no chains and the car is stationary.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I never use a car wash on the Audi but in the past with a beater I would go through and never had to turn the engine off - so I am wondering why you assume the engine would not be running in a car wash.
I'm mostly familiar with the car wash streets in Europe. There you must turn off the engine. This posed a challenge again when I did European Delivery with my RS5. Had to look long and far to find a power wash station or something that doesn't' drag the car through it.

The ones I've been to in the USA before I had nice cars make you get out of the car. Just as described in the article. I suppose there is no guarantee that they leave the engine running.

Originally Posted by Ssc5174
http://www.autospamd.com/index.shtml....the car pulls forward onto a moving conveyor belt - no chains and the car is stationary.
Neat. Certainly not what I was referring to or even the article. This is a semi automated hand wash. Not your typical automated car wash.

Quick Reply: Car Wash Dangers