Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Changes in RS5 between 2013-2014-2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Eyy
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changes in RS5 between 2013-2014-2015

i am thinking about buying a used or new Rs5. Besides the advances in safety features, does anyone know how the model has evolved over the years?

What is better in the 2015 vs the 2013?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

No material differences between a 2013 RS5 and a 2015 RS5, other than some additional options and early bugs worked out. The MMI firmware and some of the hardware and other software's been updated. Minor changes in how ADS controls the exhaust flaps and such. Most of the updates and fixes are available as TSBs for affected cars. I'm personally particular about the MMI, so I would go for a newer model to get the latest hardware and software.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Test drove a 2013. The sunroof mechanism was different but very minor change. 2015 has cloth covering the sunroof.

2013 had sunshades on the rear window (which I hated). Not available on 2015.

Does the 2013 have the adaptive rear spoiler? I love it on the 2015.

As stated the MMI on the 2015 is state of the art. Does the 2013 have a 32GB hard drive and B&O surround sound? Would be a deal breaker for me.

Does the 13 have the sexy headlights?
Adaptive steering, cruise control and headlights?

Ask an Audi salesman who has been around awhile. Should know.

Hopefully this will give you some questions to ask.

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 01-11-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How was the sunroof mechanism different?

I like the rear shade. Have it on mine.

Yes, all RS5 have the adaptive rear spoiler.

The MMI is largely the same between 2013 and 2015. The only difference is newer firmware and some minor hardware upgrades such as a better cellular modem, B&O is part of the MMI package. The newer firmware has better performance, so the MMI in the 2015 is faster than the MMI in the 2013. I got mine replaced and now have the faster unit. Knowing both now, I wouldn't go for a 2013 which still has the original MMI unit. The 2014 also has older firmware, but I don't know its performance.

Headlights are the same for 13,14 and 15. 2013 was when they did the facelift. North America never got the pre-facelift RS5.
Yes, Dynamic steering, ACC and adaptive headlights is all the same. The latter is standard and the former two are part of the Driver Assist pkg.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-12-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sunroof Mechanism

2013 has a round **** just like my 2014 S4 except the sunroof only tilts so the other positions of the **** do nothing. Just have to remember that it works differently even though it looks the same.

2015 has a rectangular switch. Two positions...open and close. More intuitive to use. But really no big deal. They both work fine.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:54 AM
Eyy
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss

The MMI is largely the same between 2013 and 2015. The only difference is newer firmware and some minor hardware upgrades such as a better cellular modem, B&O is part of the MMI package. The newer firmware has better performance, so the MMI in the 2015 is faster than the MMI in the 2013. I got mine replaced and now have the faster unit. Knowing both now, I wouldn't go for a 2013 which still has the original MMI unit. The 2014 also has older firmware, but I don't know its performance.

Headlights are the same for 13,14 and 15. 2013 was when they did the facelift. North America never got the pre-facelift RS5.
Yes, Dynamic steering, ACC and adaptive headlights is all the same. The latter is standard and the former two are part of the Driver Assist pkg.
Did you simply replace the head unit on your 2013 to get the updated MMI? did the dealer do it for you?

Has anyone ever driven the different year RS5's to feel any differences? It sounds like there really shouldn't be any major differences.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the information.

BTW did not like the rear shade as I can't tell if a cop is behind me or not.

The RS5 cabriolet does not have an adaptive spoiler. Wonder why.

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 01-12-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
2013 has a round **** just like my 2014 S4 except the sunroof only tilts so the other positions of the **** do nothing. Just have to remember that it works differently even though it looks the same.

2015 has a rectangular switch. Two positions...open and close. More intuitive to use. But really no big deal. They both work fine.
That's odd. I have the rectangular switch in my 2013 RS5 with open close. Round **** makes no sense since the sunroof doesn't slide.

Originally Posted by Eyy
Did you simply replace the head unit on your 2013 to get the updated MMI? did the dealer do it for you?

Has anyone ever driven the different year RS5's to feel any differences? It sounds like there really shouldn't be any major differences.
Dealer replaced the 5F module (head unit) under warranty, because the original unit was affected by a known hardware flaw that causes it to lose the GPS signal.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Eyy
I haven't driven another RS5 aside from mine, but they should all drive the same, provided they have received all the updates. There have been two updates that affect how the car drives. The first one is a software update for the steering to fix some oddities about it and the second one is an ECU upgrade, that fixes random cold start misfires and smooths out the throttle mapping during downshifts. The 2013 had rough 3rd to 2nd downshifts, which they fixed with the 2014 RS5 and got retrofitted to the 2013 RS5 with the ECU software update.

But there is always the possibility that certain parts under the cover were redesigned based on higher than expected failure rates of the original design. However, normally if the part fails, the dealer will replace it with the redesigned part under warranty. For example, I got new wishbones and lower control arms as the original design was prone to squeaking and creaking. The nice thing about buying the current model year is that you have all those redesigned parts and don't need to wait for them to fail. Saves some trips to the dealer.

If a flaw is important enough, Audi issues a campaign or a recall in case of a safety issue, so for those things you don't have to wait for the part to fail first.

I think the bigger question is are you comfortable buying a used performance car that might have seen a lot of abuse on the track or even on the road. I mean these cars are meant to be driven hard. I certainly drive mine hard and it shows on the maintenance side. I'm going through tires like never before and I had to replace my front brakes after 24k miles. The good thing is these are all opportunities for some aftermarket upgrades :-).
Old 01-15-2015, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Curious if anyone has the TSB numbers for these two fixes. I have a 2013 and I'd like to have the dealer check to see if they were applied. thx!

I haven't driven another RS5 aside from mine, but they should all drive the same, provided they have received all the updates. There have been two updates that affect how the car drives. The first one is a software update for the steering to fix some oddities about it and the second one is an ECU upgrade, that fixes random cold start misfires and smooths out the throttle mapping during downshifts. The 2013 had rough 3rd to 2nd downshifts, which they fixed with the 2014 RS5 and got retrofitted to the 2013 RS5 with the ECU software update.

But there is always the possibility that certain parts under the cover were redesigned based on higher than expected failure rates of the original design. However, normally if the part fails, the dealer will replace it with the redesigned part under warranty. For example, I got new wishbones and lower control arms as the original design was prone to squeaking and creaking. The nice thing about buying the current model year is that you have all those redesigned parts and don't need to wait for them to fail. Saves some trips to the dealer.

If a flaw is important enough, Audi issues a campaign or a recall in case of a safety issue, so for those things you don't have to wait for the part to fail first.

I think the bigger question is are you comfortable buying a used performance car that might have seen a lot of abuse on the track or even on the road. I mean these cars are meant to be driven hard. I certainly drive mine hard and it shows on the maintenance side. I'm going through tires like never before and I had to replace my front brakes after 24k miles. The good thing is these are all opportunities for some aftermarket upgrades :-).

Quick Reply: Changes in RS5 between 2013-2014-2015