Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Do I have adaptive head lights or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have adaptive head lights or not?

I own a 2012 S 5 Prestige model. It was built in Fall, 2011. I bought the car used last Summer.
All the information I have read says that this car is supposed to have the adaptive head lights feature. The window sticker says it's included in the "Prestige" package"---the owners manual shows the function as a feature.

HOWEVER---I don't think it is. I have watched the start up sequencing (read about on this forum---car starts/lights move down-up then side to side). My car does the up/down dance but not the side to side I have read about. Further, I don't detect it when driving at night (per the descriptions I've read about what I should see)

The code for this feature (which escapes me at the moment) is NOT on the sticker in the spare wheel well. Also--I have read that the MMI should show this feature (with user ability to turn it on/off)--and my MMI does not show this feature at all.

Does the absence of the adaptive light function in the MMI verify that I do NOT have the feature on my car?

So, I am concluding I do not have the feature---YET--everything I've read here and elsewhere says my MY 2012--PRESTIGE--edition is supposed to have it.

Any thoughts are welcome
thanks
Old 02-11-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I am pretty sure all S and RS have the adaptive lights, but that's another discussion. If your lights do the vertical horizon "search" on startup, you have the adaptive lights. I have never seen it do a left / right search on start up on my 2013 S and have also never noticed it when driving although I assume it does work.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lights have to be in "Auto" mode for the adaptive lights to work.

Do not think it is a big deal in town but in the mountains with no street lights and mucho wildlife it is a must for us.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've never seen mine move side-to-side when starting, but I back into the garage. I though the lights only moved when the wheel turns more than 30 degrees. Trust me, it's very noticeable, just turn into your driveway at night and you should see the light appear.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

My S5 and Q7 have adaptive lights. When started in garage they do the up/down sweep; never left/right.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Adaptive headlights move up/down left and right. My 2010 S5 did NOT have them. My 2014 SQ5 DOES. Both prestige models. Not for sure but I think 2009 was the last model for adaptive on the S5
Old 02-13-2015, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

My 2015 S5 has them. On startup they move up and down, never left and right. Find an unlit road somewhere and make a fairly rapid turn. If you have them the headlight will visibly turn faster than the car.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys you are missing the point. Adaptive headlights move up down and left to right. They also have a added light that shines when you are cornering. All Audis have the self leveling headlights. The up down that you are seeing. Therefore you have self leveling. I have as both and once you see the adaptive you will know the difference.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is crazy--I have posted here and on another audi S5 forum site and the replies vary just as much as this one.
Some "swear" their is a side to side movement at start up yet others that there is no side to side action--just the up and down movement
Some "swear" there the adaptive feature is very noticeable when moving--others that it is very subtle.
I personally don't see it on my car---yet all the specs say that I am supposed to have adaptive lights on this 2012 MY S5
Old 02-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Guys you are missing the point. Adaptive headlights move up down and left to right. They also have a added light that shines when you are cornering. All Audis have the self leveling headlights. The up down that you are seeing. Therefore you have self leveling. I have as both and once you see the adaptive you will know the difference.
Not missing the point. The OP said he did not see left-to-right during start up, and several of us addressed that.

As for your "Not for sure but I think 2009 was the last model for adaptive on the S5", my 2013 has the option.

Quick Reply: Do I have adaptive head lights or not?