Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S4 vs S5

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S4 vs S5

I have a 2011 S4 premium plus and am considering moving in to a 2013 S5 premium plus. Has anyone made this move, if so can you tell me pros /cons or differences however slight between the two, other than the practicality response. Thanks

Last edited by Christo123; 08-08-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christo123
I have a 2011 S4 premium plus and am considering moving in to a 2013 S5 premium plus. Has anyone made this move, if so can you tell me pros /cons or differences however slight between the two, other than the practicality response. Thanks
You won't hear the S5 owners talk much about practicality... that's what the S4 people would say

Well the car looks different even before the facelift. If you are going with the coupe the sunroof does not open in the S5, only tilts. That said the front end is wider and the car looks more aggressive. Lookswise most would agree the S5 wins over the S4. You will obviously be getting the facelift model with the 2013 so if you like that look that's another plus. There's also the flat bottom steering wheel in the 2013 S5.

I'm sure a stathead could tell you that the S4 is probably slightly quicker by virtue of the lighter weight, but it's marginal at best. The engine is the same of course in the 2013 S5.

There may be other ancillary benefits of getting a 2013 model generally (e.g. updated Nav).

But seriously, the decision to move to an S5 from an S4 entirely revolves around the looks of the S5 and the general sportier look of a coupe.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I made this switch

I just bought a 2013 S5 a few months ago. I had a 2011 S4. The S4 was a nice car but I just did not like the look of it. It's just not a head turner. The difference between the two cars is pretty substantial to me. The S4 has a great engine. It is a more balanced car from a handling standpoint as well. The S5 is just a beautiful car inside and out. It is a head turner. It's a car that makes you feel good and that you turn around and look at it when you walk away from it. The inside of the S5 is much larger. Seats in S4 are to thin and the arm rest on the door on drivers side is to short for comfort. The S5 engine sounds way better. It has a growl to it especially in sport mode. Both are great cars the S4 just does not look very good and the S5 is one of the best looking cars on the road.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fandawg
The S5 engine sounds way better. It has a growl to it especially in sport mode.
Pssst.. You're probably being fooled by the fact that a 2013 S5 has the fake exhaust sound pumped through the cabin speakers. Pull the fuse for it, then compare exhaust note. In my 2013 S5, it's fuse #A5, which was the the fuse in the fifth slot down from the top, left-most side. It's listed in the owners manual.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bilbo47
Pssst.. You're probably being fooled by the fact that a 2013 S5 has the fake exhaust sound pumped through the cabin speakers. Pull the fuse for it, then compare exhaust note. In my 2013 S5, it's fuse #A5, which was the the fuse in the fifth slot down from the top, left-most side. It's listed in the owners manual.
is the sound really fake? how/where is it generated? How do you like the estoril blue? Any regrets?. I have always been a grey/silver car owner, but getting tired of those colors
Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

is the sound really fake? how/where is it generated? How do you like the estoril blue? Any regrets?. I have always been a grey/silver car owner, but getting tired of those colors
Ok, well, let's define "fake" in how I use it. From what I understand, what you hear inside the cabin is a copy of engine sound from your engine pumped through your speakers or a speaker somewhere. So is the sound being played fake? No, it's your car. But is it coming from your exhaust outside? Nope.

I consider it fake. Why not put a CD of Ferraris revving their engines and just play that while we drive. Is the sound being played fake? Nope, it's a Ferrari. Is it coming from our exhaust outside? Nope.

As for Estoril Blue.. yeah.. it's a fantastic colour. I don't specifically know what the "Crystal Effect" on it is, but it seems to have a tiny little colour shift in bright light that makes the car look amazing. Also, the fact that it isn't used all over the Audi brand makes it feel a little exclusive.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Google "Soundaktor". It's fake as fake can be. If you want the real sound, you gonna have to opt for an RS5. With V8s going away in favor of smaller FI engines and sound insulation getting better and better, get used to listing to Gran Tourismo coming from speakers as your drive the car. The car sounds nothing like that on the outside.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toronto S5
I'm sure a stathead could tell you that the S4 is probably slightly quicker by virtue of the lighter weight, but it's marginal at best. The engine is the same of course in the 2013 S5.
Actually, it's the other way around - the S5 is slightly lighter, but the difference is too small to make a noticeable difference in acceleration.

The main difference, other than looks, is how the car feels inside. The 5 is noticeably wider and gives you more shoulder room. You sit lower, so there is also more headroom. The larger windows also give you the feel of a more spacious car.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

No one mentioned yet so there you go; S4 has four doors, S5 has two. OTher than that, they are identical.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
Actually, it's the other way around - the S5 is slightly lighter, but the difference is too small to make a noticeable difference in acceleration.
For 2013 models, AudiUSA.com lists the S4 at 3847 lbs and the S5 at 3858 lbs with manual transmission. However, the S4 in question here is a 2011 model, which autos.msn.com lists at 3637 lbs. If that's correct, that could prove to be somewhat significant, although it may be offset by drivetrain improvements since then. It's possible autos.msn.com is just wrong, but cars often get heavier year-to-year (due to increased safety equipment) unless it's a redesigned model.